Here Is A New One

Just when I think I’ve seen it all… Today a report came in that an article we are hosting says this in the resource box:

“You have permission to publish this article electronically, or in print, free of charge, so long as the signature file is included. I’d appreciate your telling me too.

But, what this author forget to include was putting her website URL in her resource box… leaving readers frustrated that they can’t find a way to tell her that they reprinted her article.

The article marketing lesson: Be sure to include your website URL in your RESOURCE BOX…uhm, especially if you are asking your reader to notify you upon reprinting your article. :-)

Audrey Okaneko writes:

Hmmm, I know I’ve made errors. I know I’ve messed up on articles. My heart breaks for the poor submitter who made this error.

Instead of your staff quietly emailing her and helping her, instead you’ve publically humiliated her by copying and pasting her entire text here on your blog.

Or am I reading this really wrong?

Audrey :)

p.s. as I write this post, I’m sipping tea from my EzineArticles mug. I really love this thing.

Comment provided December 7, 2006 at 9:17 AM

Audrey,

I did not publicly humiliated her because I never told you who she was or which article she made the mistake on.

Second, despite our best intentions to service our authors more than anyone else in the entire marketplace (yeah, that’s a goal); we are not running a “customer intimacy” based business model.

We are running an “operationally efficient” business model (despite our lack of operational efficiencies at times).

Being operationally efficient, we have eliminated the ability for an editor to reach out and email an author directly beyond templated forms. To change this would significantly slow down our article review and approval speed. Imagine being at McDonalds and instead of an assembly line to make burgers, they made each one, one at a time during rush hour. Know what would happen? They would lose 80% of their business because their clients expect them to be operationally efficient moreso than customer intimacy based (like a gourmet burger joint).

Do we still send private emails to authors by the thousands per month? YES… despite our goal to be operationally efficient first and customer intimacy based, second.

I didn’t want this to come off sounding like an excuse, but I wanted to provide an insight into why we can’t email every author who messes up with a personal email because we’d have to hire 10 more people at least to deal with the level of incoming problems that are being submitted daily. We’re working on technology solutions to help authors in an automated way to identify and solve the issues.

Yesterday, 1,005 articles were submitted of which 216 had problems that didn’t allow us to accept them. When you do the math, I hope you can see how many tens of thousands of article submissions have problems that we don’t have the editorial labor to address on a one-by-one basis… hence my using this blog to educate the market on which mistakes to avoid.

:-)

Comment provided December 7, 2006 at 9:48 AM

Audrey Okaneko writes:

hmm looks like you have 216 opportunities for new blog posts or articles to continue to teach us how to be the most effective we can be with our article submissions.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed answer to my rant.

Audrey :)

Comment provided December 7, 2006 at 10:00 AM

Congratulations on your 1,005 article submissions yesterday. Let me know if you ever need any of us authors to submit more articles, because you are so successful it looks as if you do not need anymore articles or authors. Congratulations on your super success. :-)

Comment provided December 7, 2006 at 5:53 PM

Quite the contrary… We could use several more thousand article submissions per day, fine thank you. :-)

By the middle to end of January, our new editorial team members will be emerging from the 3-6 week training period and our capacity will be double what it is today. Right now, we’re struggling to process what’s directly in front of us but we have a plan to get ahead of the supply curve…

Comment provided December 7, 2006 at 6:30 PM

Audrey Okaneko writes:

Ok, my turn to be dumbfounded. I subscribe to email alerts here at EzineArticles. I save them and when I have time, I read the new articles in the categories I’ve chosen. Yesterday I read an article and actually felt bad for Chris’s team. It truly was one of the worst articles I’ve ever read both spelling and grammar wise. That must be tough for your team to hit approve when the article would’ve been 100 times better had the author used spell check and grammar check. What a super reminder to me that someones first impression of me might be through the article they are reading. Spell check, spell check, spell check.

Lance…I finally hit 200 articles. I have another dozen titles, no content, just titles, but I hit the 200 mark!!!!

Audrey :)

Comment provided December 8, 2006 at 9:14 AM

Audrey, …Yeah, people who have English as a second language really struggle with punctuation and basic grammar or sentence structure rules.

Congrats on getting past the 200 mark!

Comment provided December 8, 2006 at 9:21 AM

Audrey,

Absolutely awesome, I am impressed and you did it in a fairly short amount of time too. You set a strong pace and you hit 200 before the end of the year even. I believe you are on the right track on making titles and word files (one for each new article you will write). Allowing you to kind of think about it. I always found when trying to write articles that the hardest part was actually making the titles out and thinking about something meaningful to write about that you had not written about the prior. The picking out of titles actually gets harder the more you write, because you have already written so much. The writing of the article gets a lot easier because the more you write the better writer you become.

Keep up the great work Audrey. 200 is a major milestone for sure, I remember when I hit 200 articles I went out to Outback Steakhouse for a “bloomin onion”, dinner and a “White Russian” to celebrate and it was not that long ago really. I know exactly how you feel and it is a great feeling to accomplish this feat.

Comment provided December 8, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Audrey Okaneko writes:

Based on a blog post a while back from Chris, I bought the book The Long Tail. Chris posted he loved it. I’m finding it a bit of a tough read. However the first chapter, which I’ve read twice talks about music and DVD’s and niche markets. A retail store can only carry those titles that sell. But there are thousands of titles that only a few people want, which retail stores can not carry. So, the online services such as Netflix and Blockbuster Online can service the folks who want what retail can’t carry. The book even gave statistics that basically only 50% want what’s popular. The other 50% each want something different, but it’s not popular. Does that make sense?

So, I used a keyword tool, typed in “scrapbooking” and scrolled to the bottom. I choose the bottom 10 keywords and developed a title based on those 10 keywords or keyword phrases. These are words that folks search for, maybe only once per day, but in a years time that 365 searchs with almost no competition.

Now if I could only read chapter two LOL.

Audrey :)