Geotargeting Your Writing

Aussie Peter writes:

“Chris, I’ve just seen your article of May 2006 about writing multiple articles for geo-targeted niches. Could you give me your views on the extent to which each article would need
to be completely re-written, as opposed to doing a search and replace on the state, and leaving the rest of the article the same?

G’day Peter… Excellent question! If it’s for articles that you’re submitting to, every geo-targeted article will need to be 90-97% completely original as we reject articles that have the same 1, 2, 3 or more of identical paragraphs with only a single paragraph that is unique to the region.

This doesn’t seem fair I know…if the advice you have is nearly identical for everyone in every state/country/region with only a brief snippet of unique content for the geo-region that you’re writing about.

There are 2 reasons why we don’t allow what you’re asking about:

1) We don’t want substantially duplicate content. If any more than a couple complex sentences are duplicated, this is too much for us.

2) We really want to encourage completely new content written for each geo-targeted article. Surely there is enough to say about each region or locale that you’re writing about to make the articles unique enough?

Peter Cutforth writes:

Thanks Chris, I figured you would be strict on dupe content, and I understand why, so thats fair enough.

There’s certainly plenty to write about, but for my purposes it would have saved a lot of time not to have to, thats all – LOL!

(Is that another way of saying I’m lazy!?)

Can you tell us what your process is to assess for dupe content? Do you run the page through copyscape? Any other approach… or is it “secret EzineArticles business”?!!

Cheers, and thanks for your prompt response to my question.

Happy New Year.

Comment provided December 28, 2006 at 3:16 PM

We use software, hardware and humanware to detect duplicate content…

I’ll talk more about it after we’ve filed for a patent. :-)

Comment provided December 28, 2006 at 3:20 PM

Herman writes:

Hi Chris,

Could you comment on Google’s official statement on duplicate content

Is there anything authors should do differently based on these points?

Will placing articles on your site and syndicating them all over the Net have an effect on your site’s rankings or PR?

Comment provided January 3, 2007 at 8:42 AM

As a rule, we don’t comment on what we think Google will or won’t do because we have no control over that.

What I think authors should do:

Only syndicate content on highly reputable websites (hint hint, like and forget about the 2nd and 3rd tier websites that are not niche specific to your topical area of expertise.

Comment provided January 3, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Herman writes:

Thanks for your reply.

How do you tell if a site is reputable?

If a site has only general categories ie business is this still considered niche specific enough or should one only submit to sites that are closer to your niche?

Comment provided January 3, 2007 at 9:51 AM

How do you tell if a site is reputable?

I wrote an article on that very topic:

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Herman writes:

After you’ve submitted to the article directory, does it generate traffic back to your site or not? Do you find your article distributed to other niche websites or do your articles get picked up by email newsletter publishers?

Nicely said Chris…do you have any recommendations how to track the amount of traffic the article receives apart from these limited ideas?

Ad Tracker (redirected URL may not be permanent)
Web Stats (takes time to decipher referring URLS)
Aricle Directory provides traffic stats (not targeted)

Perhaps a combination of these may be best…??

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Yes, combo is best.

I use, Google’s newsbot alert thing, our own stats, etc.

I’m not a fan of ad trackers for article marketing purposes and recommend against it.

Comment provided January 4, 2007 at 11:50 AM