Jeff Herrings Says Writers Block Does Not Exist

EzineArticles expert author Jeff Herring in his business blog said:

My position is that writer’s block does not exist. I believe people get caught up in it because it sounds so cool, and makes you sound like a writer. “Oh, I have writer’s block” etc. Do you know anyone that runs? Have they ever had runner’s block? They might not have felt like running, but they ran any way.”

Well Jeff, when you put it that way, being a runner myself, I know there are days when I don’t want to run vs. when I enjoy running…and the difference in feeling has a lot to do with my environment. When it’s sunny outside or when I’m eating very healthy, I’m more likely to enjoy running than when it’s freezing cold and I just had a burger for lunch.

I think after you’ve written many hundreds or thousands of articles, you have a writing muscle/skill that is so well developed that you forget that newbies who are just starting out experience something different than what you do when it comes to the feelings of ‘writers block’.

For me, I have so many articles or writing ideas floating in my head at any given moment that all it usually takes is for me to stop, sit down at the keyboard and release my ideas. Usually, I’ll have a core idea or theme that has been brewing in my head before I even sit down to write the next article, blog entry or email newsletter issue.

I know that writers who fail to plan or fail to setup an environement that supports their article writing goals (if they have them) are more prone to feelings of writers block.

Perhaps if EzineArticles were Nike, instead of JUST DO IT, our slogan would be, JUST WRITE IT! :-)

Ruth writes:

Well, I have not yet had writers block…but, I do play the organ and I have to admit that I have had “players block”,

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 9:47 AM

My personal experience is that when I write because I have to, i.e. I have deadlines to meet for my blog or new articles need to be written for my sites, very occasionally I have experienced a “block”. However, I am happy to report that those timesare few and far between becauseI enjoy writing and have so much enthusiasm for my subject.

I do suffer from “runner’s block” far more frequently, particularly on cold, damp evenings!!

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 9:53 AM

Great post, great concept. I never think about having tennis block – I enjoy it too much. And although I hate taking out the trash, I never have trash block…I guess having a clean house is more enjoyable than looking at the trash. We only block what we don’t want to do.

That slogan is good, “just write it.” And so is the one from colleague Andy Wibbel: “Shut up and write!”

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 10:17 AM

Audrey Okaneko writes:

Ok Chris….”just write it” is brilliant…I love it :)

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 10:38 AM

Ed Howes writes:

In the past few weeks I made it a point to do more reading and fought the desire to write each time I wanted to. I wanted the ideas to steep and simmer. Yesterday evening I got three essays written and developed ideas for a few more. For a number of reasons, I don’t set writing goals or I met the ones I did set, long ago, so now I have the great luxury of writing when there is something I very much want or need to say. At that point it is a write and edit process and I do not rush it. I chose not to write professionally a long time ago, so I have never worked under deadline pressures, which I believe might have blocked me from time to time.

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 10:50 AM

Lisa Sparks writes:

I just don’t quite agree with either position.

Writer’s block does exist – especially for those new to article marketing. And the “just write it” theory really doesn’t hold water either. Bottom line: Careful thought and preparation needs to be taken before one word is written.

Seasoned writers with several years of experience can “just write it.” But for those looking to get all the benefits of article marketing with little – if any – writing experience a little preparation is required.

One thing I use to help readers of my ezine is this:

I tell them to create a target audience profile of their ideal client. What are their likes and dislikes? List them out along with a couple of other key ingredients such as their top five questions.

Next I encourage my readers to imagine themselves speaking directly to their ideal client at lunch or over coffee. The client has just shared that he’s having a challenge and he’s asked you for advice.

Once my readers have that mindset, then they can easily begin to take other steps to write clearly and with great results.

Of course there are other things to keep in mind when writing to get results from article marketing – but creating a target audience profile is definitely step one.

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 11:00 AM

Hi Lisa

Great strategies about having someone focus on their ideal client.

Where I see it a bit differently is on the issue of preparation. I work with so many people who get stuck in the preparation phase, or as we call it here in the South, the “fixin’ to” stage.

It goes back to what I say all the time about writing articles

“If you can write a 7 item grocery list, you can write a 7 tips article that will bring you more prospects, publicity and profits.”

So Chris, go get yourself a neat little swoosh like Nike and come up with some t-shirts that say

“Just write it”

Maybe a line of running shoes as well?

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 11:10 AM

Lisa Sparks writes:

Thanks, Jeff. I respect your strategies as well.

I will share one more thing, though.

Real results come from articles that are targeted to a specific audience, which give them real, actionable advice they can use immediately.

That kind of article takes more thought and imagination than writing a grocery list.

Bottom line: Quality, well-constructed and well-thought-out articles allow business owners to gain access to the benefits of article marketing.

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 11:25 AM

I think “writer’s block” works as a useful term to describe those times when you don’t feel the flow.

I think we’ve all experienced this – sometimes thoughts pour out joyously and other times they’re all backed up in there and you can’t find the words to express the feeling. At these times, I communicate nonverbally, which unfortunately doesn’t work so well on the computer. :)

However, I do agree with the stance Jeff takes on “writer’s block.” Sometimes whiny people enjoy slapping labels on their various reasons for procrastinating. Like they get off on their unproductivity a bit TOO much. Something to complain about?

Forget writer’s block! If you’re having that much trouble focusing, go take care of something else and come back to it later.

“Just Do It” is my motto, too.

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 11:49 AM

Lisa – I don’t think it is an issue of the amount of thought that goes into an article -any useful article takes thought – my style is to break things down to it’s simplest form and then build from there – so a tips list is not a “thought-free” approach – it’s making it doable for those that do not think they can do it, or as a way to get past “writer’s block” of if people insist on having it.

Over at I teach members to do EVERYTHING with their ideal client in mind – what they want and not what you think they want – so your strategies are very useful.

Dina – you are always a kick! Thanks for your words.

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 1:22 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Sometimes, the words won’t come. This is what is referred to as writers block. And every writer has this happen occasionally…even if there is a deadline.

It may last 5 minutes, 5 hours, or 5 weeks, but it does exist simply for the reason that if you can not put words on paper you are blocked – for whatever reason.

And yes, even Steven King has had it. :)

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 2:05 PM

Tel Asiado writes:

Hi Jeff,

That there’s no such thing as “writer’s block’ is your point of view. There was a time when I thought that way. No longer. “Writer’s Block” happens to me especially when my brain gets completely dried out from overwork and exhaustion. Or simply days or hours when I can’t get my ideas into paper. Truly. Truly. Truly. What I mean is when I can’t produce a written piece to my satisfaction or at least put to paper a coherent thought. I have one or two more reasons why my writer’s block overwhelms but I need not say … something that happens within.

What I do when I have my writer’s block? I walk up and down, or have a cuppa, or just write my thoughts aimlessly, you know, without editing, or journalize, or listen to my favourite classical music esp Mozart, read something light, or round up my Blog sites, oh…. about anything that deviates me from my mental block.

But, mental block is, and visits me occasionally.

One of my Blogsites is “Write On – Keep the Words Coming!” This site helps me a lot as well as my “Life is a Gift – Celebrate it!”

Right now? My ideas are flowing… far from my writer’s block. Thanks for stimulating me. ;)

Best regards,

Comment provided November 20, 2006 at 2:56 PM

Writer’s Block indeed is a myth.

Comment provided November 26, 2006 at 6:04 PM

Ron Borg writes:

If you want to feel writers block, work on only writing with original thoughts. We all know how to come up with articles… decide on a topic, do a little research and then put your own slant on it. That’s the problem with 98% of what makes it onto blogs, articles and websites. It’s all been written before.

But when you desire to write with true original thoughts that you have developed yourself, well then I say, writers block is inevitable.

It reminds me of am old sailor I once met. I told him that I envied his position in life as the skipper of his own catamaran in the Virgin Islands. I intimated that I would like to trade places with him.

He snickered and said, “So you think you’re cut out for a life at sea? I told him that I was always comfortable out on the water – that I never got seasick. He said “When I hire crew, I always ask if they ever got seasick. If they say “No”. I tell em to get lost. If you’ve never gotten sick at sea, well then, you just havent been at sea long enough!”.

Comment provided November 27, 2006 at 9:38 PM

Lisa Sparks writes:

Nice one, Ron. I agree wholeheartedly.

Comment provided November 28, 2006 at 7:20 AM

BMW writes:

we enjoyed reading your blog, you have a wonderful writing style! I have sent a link to my bro, and shall surely be returning back for update.

Comment provided November 25, 2009 at 6:33 PM