Editorial Staffing…

May be the full moon, or perhaps it’s just timing… but we’re backed up by 3000+ articles at the moment and will be back on top again in the coming week.

One of our editors just had a brand new baby, another got married, another just came back from a mini-vacation and on top of that, I’m driving a quality requirement for double human approval on at least 10-20% of our daily approvals until we can hire another round of editors to keep up with the incoming load plus our new quality control metrics. The net effect is that we’re backed up a bit more than normal (sorry about that).

We have 6 very smart & efficient people in our editorial team and here’s a shot of 3 of them:

(From Left to Right, Editor #14, Editor #9, Editor #13)

Over all this seems like a nice problem to have

=> lots of work to do

=> a desire to continually make things better

=> a continuous stream of articles

Jeff

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 12:35 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Where are the cubicles? I like the way the workspace looks. Bright, airy, and people can see and chat with each other.

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 1:15 PM

Hey there Editor #9 (waving and jumping up and down)
I am thrilled to see you – you have approved most of my articles. Thanks.

Chris – It is good to know your editors have happy lives outside of reading our articles.

Take a deep breath, the articles will all get read.
Cynthia
*************

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 2:03 PM

Michelle Devon writes:

I like the look of the space too – bright, clean, neat, and pretty… looks like a great place to work! I’m patient on my articles (since I’m not writing a huge amount of them right now) because I want this site to remain synonymous with quality – if that means waiting a little longer to know that the reputation stays good – I’m A-okay with that.

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 2:12 PM

Trivia: It’s Editor #9’s 1-year anniversary with us today. :-)

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 2:19 PM

Susan Scharfman writes:

Appreciate the update. Thanks for the revealing X-Rated photo. I notice someone is holding a cup. Do you actually allow coffee breaks?!!

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 3:12 PM

Trivia: The editor on the far right holding up the coffee does the majority of Author Support emails… and yes, it appears she is addicted to coffee. :-)

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 3:37 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

Congratulations to the new parents, the new bride & groom, and hooray for coffee. Looking forward to seeing more pics of staff. Take care. Oh yes, thanks for everything.

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 4:27 PM

Rascal Miles writes:

Hey Gang :)

I’m delighted to see your staging area. it looks like you’re ready for another big job.

I’m more delighted to see you Day Guns on my side :))

Thanks for the fast turn around on submitted articles and answering my usually “My fault” concerns and pushing~the~envelope questions. You’ve seen to it that I haven’t been hanged yet. LOL.

Where is “Wild Wally” ~ “Kill-Um Casey”, & “King~Pin” Chris”?

Smart move ~ the side profiles :) They’ll never recognize yas in the other article banks…

~Rub-it “The Daylight Gang Pic For The Post Office Appears”~

Rascal :))

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 6:59 PM

I too wish to do my part in helping you catch up in your back log, so I will take a break for a while posting articles, I do not wish to over work your staff they seem like great people.

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 8:45 PM

Happy Anniversary #9
Do you know 7 of 9?

“Smart move ~ the side profiles :) They’ll never recognize yas in the other article banks!” that is pretty funny.

Cynthia
*************

Comment provided October 10, 2006 at 9:00 PM

Awesome to see the hardworking editors who help run the EzineArticles empire.

A BIG Thank You to all of them!

Jill :)

Comment provided October 11, 2006 at 12:05 PM

Cynthia,

I love 7 of 9… and knew a guy who grew up with her… Turns out her birth name is Jeri Lynn Zimmerman. I even have a signed litho from Jeri when I was big into Star Trek (now I like SG1, Stargate Atlantis and Eureka).

Ed,

One of the first things we did when we moved into the new office this past Summer is we replaced all of the flourescent blue/white lights and replaced them with half moon wall sconces with yellow incandescent lighting. Makes a huge difference on the eyes when you’re in front of the monitors all day.

Anyone else notice one of our secrets to productivity in the above photo?

If you guessed dual monitors on every desk, you win.

Here’s a photo of my monitors:

I call them ‘duallies” (farm implement reference whenever a tractor has 2 tires together on the same side of an axel) and some studies have shown they improve performance by 9-44%.

Comment provided October 11, 2006 at 2:00 PM

That is pretty interesting – both about 7 of 9 and having daulies –

So does this mean you are reading two articles at once? Or, are you checking email on one and working on the other? That is probably what I would do.

Cynthia

Comment provided October 12, 2006 at 7:36 AM

Cynthia,

If you’ve ever flipped back and forth between applications and you started wondering how much faster you could be productive if you could see two screens at once, you’d then know the value of dual monitors.

I’ll often be creating a blog entry in one monitor and reviewing a link or a resource or a photo or something else in the other monitor… or when I write articles, I’ll have my editor in the left monitor and supporting research in the right monitor.

If my notebook computer could drive more than two monitors, I’d have 3 or 4 by now.

To make my Dell M1710 XPS notebook drive dual monitors while being docked at the same time and with dual DVI connections (SVGA is so last decade), I had to get an advanced docking station that would support a PCI card and I went with the ATI PCI FireMV 2200 Multi-View Graphics Accelerator card.

Comment provided October 12, 2006 at 8:35 AM

This really makes a lot of sense.
***
(SVGA is so last decade), :)
Cynthia

Comment provided October 12, 2006 at 8:48 AM

Leeuna Foster writes:

Thanks for giving us a glimpse inside the office. Now I feel even more like ‘family”. You’re doing some fantastic work folks and this is such a great service for writers. Thank you for all you do for us.

Comment provided October 13, 2006 at 11:18 AM

Sanjay writes:

Nice place you have, Chris. :)

Convey my regards to all your team members; they are doing a great job!

Cheers,
Sanjay.

Comment provided October 13, 2006 at 11:33 AM

Barry W. Morris writes:

OK Chris, come clean….how do the desks stay so clean and clear? Is one of your editors also a Feng Shui practitioner? ;-)

Barry

Comment provided October 13, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Barry,

We’re completely digital.

That’s the secret.

We edit, quality control, and process everything digitally. In fact, there isn’t even a printer in the editors room and the main printer we have rarely gets used.

Comment provided October 13, 2006 at 1:56 PM