Sheri McConnell – Author Spotlight

Sheri McConnellThis week’s Author Spotlight is on Sheri McConnell, a suggestion from one of our editors that had reviewed her articles. In addition to being an Platinum Author, Sheri is also the the President of the National Association of Women Writers. When I asked the editor that suggested Sheri for the spotlight this week why she picked Sheri, she said:

“Her incoming articles are all approval ready, nothing needing to be fixed or tweaked at all. Also, her articles are very well organized … they’re reader friendly – good voice behind the writing. It’s obvious she knows what she’s talking about …”

Looking at Sheri’s articles, they appear to have perfect article mechanics: Good keyword intelligent titles, clean and concise original content as well great structure from an approving editor’s standpoint. The last comment made by the editor was “I can just scan and approve, especially knowing it’s an article of Sheri’s.” So the article writing lesson here is that if a little extra time is taken when submitting to make sure the article is “approval ready” chances are the submitted article will be approved much quicker. :-)

I have a question. I have noticed a number of Women’s writing groups out there including this one Sheri is running. And well, without attempting to be too politically correct, because quite frankly I am not; I have seen a complete disproportionate number of womens writer’s groups to Men’s writers groups? Why?

Second, my guess is that traditionally there have been more Men writers in history because more men had become educated in past periods (200 years and beyond). So, more men have written much of the historical record (no wonder it is so messed up-lots of ego induced wishful thinking?).

Now, however we find more women than men making their profession in writing and more women’s groups, yet still just as many Men at the top levels; that is to say top novelists. It seems to be split 50/50% at the top.

So, are these groups helping move more women writers upward? My guess is; YES! and that more women writers should join these groups to help improve them selves and enter the top ranks as well. Another observation I have had in reading Novels of both men and women is that they each seem to specialize in different aspects and perspectives in the minds of their characters and in the detail to different types of events.

How have I come about all these observations? Well, recently I have been collecting and categorizing my article content to write some eBooks, Books and Research Reports using some of that content or parts of it. Now then, as I search the Internet for information on Writing; I come up with Women’s Writers Groups; searching for things like; How to Write a Synopsis, How to Write an Introduction, How to Write Acknowledgements, etc.

The information I have collected is truly invaluable and so not only do I commend Wally for his excellent choice for the Article Author Spotlight; I think that Sheri and her group does a great service to up and coming writers; even if you are a Man. Sheri has some great articles and you would be wise to soak up some of that wisdom and visit The National Association of Women’s Writers too!

Just thinking out loud.

Comment provided October 19, 2006 at 5:02 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Lance, my hunch as to why there are more women’s writers groups is because women want and ask for help more readily then men. And speaking as a man, I can say that I usually don’t seek out help as much as I should – both personally and professionally.

Comment provided October 19, 2006 at 7:06 PM

Ah, very good point. IE. Men refusing to ask for directions and then burning thru precious fuel driving around in circles, trying to find something? Yes, it could very well be a Demand Issue and the resultant is more Women’s Writers groups, which are supplying for that demand; good point.

Now then, with more Women’s writers groups there must be more Women Writers becoming more successful in greater numbers. Thus, 100 years from now, we might all look back and see that Women of the Present Period were by far outpacing their male counter parts with quality literary achievements, as well as non-fiction works. This is an interesting thought you have Edward, you might have something here and this might be a big part of this actual observations of Super Star Women Writers Groups that are available?

Comment provided October 19, 2006 at 8:00 PM

Dina writes:

I think it’s more of a social thing. Women are herding creatures. Well… a lot of them are, anyway.

Comment provided October 20, 2006 at 9:57 AM

Indeed, women are more social in that regard and get a lot more done through that process. Men often go charging off and sometimes end up going the wrong way due to stubbornness or ego. Sometimes they fall on their butts big time, occasionally they find a new path.

Nevertheless, trying to find something by vectoring rather than asking directions is problematic and less efficient most of the time. So, this is why I think I agree with Women’s Writers Groups, I just think that men also need some groups like that too. No, I am not interested in starting one (a men’s writing group), but I just like the idea of it. It makes a lot of sense really.

In attending some writers groups in various parts of the country, which meet in local bookstores, I find there are mostly women there and they seem to have good tips about writing of course some of those tips contradict one another. So, it seems there are many ways to write and no one way is right? You can learn quite a bit from these writing groups both online and local writing groups, of course you must also understand that each writer including yourself will have a different style. And indeed, that is a good thing, because it means all the writing is unique and not boring.

Eventually it has been my observation that once you get going as a writer you end up with your way of doing things and then the group may have a value to you personally of diminishing returns. Although, it is good to see accomplished writers tend to stick around a little and help the up and coming writers. I would like to thank these accomplished writers and people like Sheri out there who do that, as they have in fact helped me.

Comment provided October 20, 2006 at 4:16 PM

Ed Howes writes:

There is a global trend of female empowerment over the past century or so, with Western Cultures leading the way. A woman writer I corresponded with a few months ago invited me to join her favorite writing site and it was a great one. It was not a womens’ site. Just as Bonnie Jo Davis’ Articles That Sell is for all. That said, trust among women is greater and we will find more and more exclusively female members Only sites and groups out there over time. This will accellerate every woman’s journey from suppression to superiority in nearly every endeavor and possibly new matriarchal societies, which can only be an improvement over what we have so far known. As a male I do not mind being excluded for the sake of a better world, however I am very naturally expanding my social cyber circle of achieving and reasonable men in my own support groups, while continuing to develop some of my friendships with women, locally and in cyber space. I am amply rewarded for these efforts and like most men do not go looking for male support groups. Yet I am aware they are forming for various social reasons such as child custody and post divorce support and the old traditional, just us motivations based on common, generally male interests. As to these social clubs I am of the Groucho Marx school. I would not want to belong to any club which would have me for a member.

History has demonstrated clearly nobody will do more to empower women than other women and nearly all they do toward that end is worthy of support and encouragement by all on the planet. Men have an opposite tendency to try and disempower everyone but yours truly and a few cronies, as we see in Washington D.C.. Enough is too much.

Thanks Sheri for providing us all a model worthy of emulation. Thanks Wally for not firing an editor for reading on the job and acting on her suggestion. :-)

Comment provided October 21, 2006 at 12:33 PM

You know I would like to make a comment off topic, or maybe not. That comment is that Sheri McConnell is a very attractive woman. And it seems to me that due to her excellent looks, I wonder if some people do not understand how good her knowledge base and advise is, because they see her good looks and assume perhaps that she has risen to the top due to her looks.

I wonder if authors and experts in the writing industry have this problem. I know it exists in other industries. Often it opens doors not available to others and may even promote people to a higher level then they might deserve. Yet in this case we see that it merely compliments the person and her abilities.

So this is my comment as I keep seeing this attractive smiling face on my computer when I come to this Blog? And this makes me consider other issues about pictures on articles, websites and used in marketing.

Comment provided October 24, 2006 at 11:27 PM

Fred Tittle writes:

There was a study and one of the top fantasy jobs for women was becoming a writer.

I started reading this particular blog as I am horrible with the fundamentals and always have been, I was hoping to find a free resource where I could get my articles checked out and then understand what is wrong and then correct the problems and move forward. I feel that I have interesting things to share, but have zero confidence technically.

PS it sometimes takes me 10 tries to get a word spelled close enough that spell check can correct it.

Comment provided November 1, 2006 at 9:11 PM

Ed Howes writes:

If the main problem is spelling, the answer is drill, same as in school. If you misspell lots of words, you need a spelling text. If you just have problems with particular words you need drill on those. Problems with sentence structure means reviewing an English textbook. Sometimes folks think they are terrible at something they just never quite finished learning and it only requires another fifty or hundred hours of study (Think in terms of five to ten hours per week), to correct what is a relatively minor educational shortcoming. It may be work, but it is not difficult work.

Comment provided November 2, 2006 at 12:56 AM

Judy H. Wright writes:

Hello from beautiful Montana;

So pleased to see Sheri acknowledged for being a good writer. She does a marvelous job with the NAWW, AWE (Assciation of Web Entrepreneurs) and raising a family!

She is a sharp cookie and we are lucky to have her share experise with both men and women.

Good going Sheri.
Judy H. Wright,

Comment provided November 2, 2006 at 5:42 PM

Lisa Manyon writes:

Sheri’ is an amazing talent. I’ve been a member of NAWW for several years and the investment is invaluable. I can assure you that while there are social aspects to any association; NAWW delivers solid strategies for success on a regular basis. In fact, Sheri’s insightful delivery of guest speakers and her own talents prompted me to become involved in article marketing. As a result, and with mentorship from Lorrie Morgan Ferrero (who I met via NAWW) my article Nine Ways to Network More Effectively is slated to appear in an upcoming book by Bob Bly entitled The Complete Idiots Guide to Unconventional Marketing.

Comment provided November 2, 2006 at 8:23 PM

Cool and congrats Lisa!

And great article also:

Yeah, I’m a fan of Lorrie’s Red Hot Copy also.

Comment provided November 3, 2006 at 6:13 AM

Lisa Manyon writes:

Thanks Christopher,

Both ladies are dynamic and I’m glad to be a part of their “inner circles”. It’s important to invest in the right mentors.

Kudos to you, too, for doing such an amazing job with I have some fun plans for the interview I conducted with you.

Comment provided November 3, 2006 at 10:57 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Thanks for so thoughtfully providing this link to marketing treasure. Such thoughtfulness is but one reason I love you so much.

It was more than 30 years ago I paid good money for some intensive sales training. I was then taught to make friends and customers and sales would follow. Now the secret is out because of folks like Lisa, Lorrie and Sheri and I see it rapidly tossing the whole bottom line mentality which has retarded social progress for centuries. People are the most valuable resources on earth and they have been wasted most of all. What if six billion people knew the truth?

Comment provided November 3, 2006 at 4:21 PM