MySpace Platinum Author Love

Is this the first author to include their Platinum membership button on their MySpace profile? If so, first dibbs goes to EzineArticles expert Jan Verhoeff! Nice job.

PS: Thanks to whoever sent to their list that I have a MySpace profile as I received 20+ friend adds today in about a 2 hour span. If you’re the guilty party who promoted my profile, please take credit so I can thank you. :-)

UPDATED TUESDAY SEPT 12th 2PM CST: The guilty party is the very smart Denise Wakeman. Thanks Denise!

I have seen a bunch of those logos around the Internet on Blogs, websites, etc. Seeing this on a MySpace Profile is indeed excellent, and I imagine as more people see it they too will want to join the greatest online article site this side of the Sun

Comment provided September 7, 2006 at 8:46 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

You know, it’s too bad there isn’t something like Myspace for business. If there is, I haven’t heard about it. What I know about Myspace is that it’s targeted to 20 somethings and under who want to gather “friends” together in some social network.

It’s a great idea and it’s taken off like wildfire. Just not for the businessworld.

Comment provided September 10, 2006 at 8:08 PM

Edward W,

Huh?

MySpace ROCKS for business use… except, they haven’t oriented themselves to being business friendly because they are making too much money on their ‘corporate’ sponsored business listings for the big dogs.

MySpace is way more cool than LinkedIn for business networking, but there is always that constant fear that they will kick your account because of a clear commercial nature. It’s too bad they feel that way because we could kick a lot of traffic their way collectively and I think that’s already happening, which is why they have left us alone.

Comment provided September 10, 2006 at 8:29 PM

Audrey Okaneko writes:

I’m laughing over here. Both of my daughters have myspace accounts, as do ALL of their friends. It is very hard for me to mentally think of myspace as an adult business networking opportunity.

I have an account, but I don’t really use it.

I also have an account on Ryze. I belong to a couple of networks there. I actually do go there daily and post.

Comment provided September 11, 2006 at 7:04 AM

Edward:

I agree with you! And I think they should name their sister site, “My Workspace.”

Dina

Comment provided September 11, 2006 at 7:15 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Edward,

There is a lesson here for us all. The primary purpose of any web site is no indicator of it’s exploitability for secondary purposes. Secondary popularity could be transformative as the operators take notice.

Comment provided September 11, 2006 at 12:18 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Ed H. If you’re saying that people don’t take money into consideration as their first purpose in creating a website, you’d be wrong! I’m in it for the money and the arty part.

By the way, that do what you love and the money will follow philosophy is great, but only if you’re prepared to live off the $400-800 per month most of these ventures generate.

P.S. The creators of MySpace are in it for the money.

Comment provided September 11, 2006 at 1:03 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Chris, yes, MySpace rocks for business use…if you’re business is selling music CD’s and the like. Try selling accounting services or something “mature” there and see what happens.

Comment provided September 11, 2006 at 1:06 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Edward,

If you are saying the only reason a person operates a website is for money, you are wrong. I’ve had mine for 2 years and it has not earned me a dime. I live on $400 per month and have lived on less. This site has built me some reputation and I recently became an affiliate of Super Wisdom Foundation, so it will be paying for itself by the end of this year. I am also aware I can create a dozen more sites for commercial purposes and link them to my original site and not one of them has to earn me a dime in the next year. That is the great thing about organic growth. You don’t have to mortgage the house to create it and you can spend your time setting up what can easil6y become nearly automatic revenue streams for the long haul. One should be asking, how can I generate some sales is this huge marketplace? How can I find the 1% who might want my services on this high traffic site.

Comment provided September 11, 2006 at 3:54 PM

I don’t view MySpace as a sales outlet, but rather as a networking and relationship building tool.

Comment provided September 11, 2006 at 5:52 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Hi all!

Thanks for the mention here Chris, I was surprised to see mention of my “MySpace” membership on Ryze, today and came to see where it came from… lol — I do get around lately.

Actually, there is a Professional Networking site available very similar to MySpace, it’s called Path Connect. Please Join through My Path Connect at http://www.pathconnect.com/106160 and add me as your friend. I’d be glad to introduce you around!!!

There’s way more to Networking than selling a product, and you gain far more than commissions from Networking. The pure abundance that comes from building quality relationships online still astounds me! I’m constantly amazed at where I meet Friends Online.

Comment provided September 16, 2006 at 4:01 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Oh, and Chris, I’m not sure you actually got ‘mentioned’ as being on My Space. Michel Fortin blogged about myspace.com on his blog and I saw it, as did many others I’m sure, and you’re handsome face appeared on his Friend List, so I clicked – right there on your cheek. hehe

But I’ll broadcast that you’re on there on my blog later today!!!

I’m sure the others who found you at that moment probably did the same thing.

Michel has become a real focal point for marketing lately (not sure how long he’s been in the rink – I just met him).

Comment provided September 16, 2006 at 4:07 PM