Long Tail Marketing

EzineArticles expert Titus Hoskins recently wrote an article reiterating the importance of long tail marketing that is worth a quick read: Boost Your Online Sales With Long Tail Marketing

Small planet theory: I was just on Anthony Blake’s forums when I read a comment Titus made about EzineArticles in July of 2005, “Ezinearticles – This brought in a lot of traffic when I first started but they have gone from around 2000 authors to over 7000 authors so their traffic is spread too thin now!” Titus: Curious: Do you still feel that way today now that we are at 30k+ registered authors?

Keith Renninson writes:

This article is fascinating…I try to use the concept in my articles and websites; I guess the trick is figuring out what keywords and phrases work best for your individual site and products. I’m sure that doesn’t happen quickly and builds over time.

Thanks for the reminder of it’s importance, great article.

Comment provided September 12, 2006 at 10:05 AM

Edward Weiss writes:

Excellent article. Well written and full of valuable information. What I do is look at Overtures keyword tool then scroll down the list for less competitive keywords.

You know what though? Even though Google will index articles not as “popular” as top keyword searches faster, you just never know what they’ll do. Although, I have to say that I’m amazed at how quickly some of my articles get picked up by Google. I’m talking a week’s time. And they are usually in the top 10. You really can’t do that anywhere else but here so thanks EzineArticles team!

Comment provided September 12, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Very good article and testimonial. 1003 words withresource box and I never felt like I was reading a long article. Hard to imagine this article being effective at 500 words, which tells me there is a relationshiop between quality of information and length. Perhaps Titus could have dispencesed with how he had been missing the boat. Yet the experience is so common, it builds interest in what is coming next. In fact, Titus wasted a few words telling us what was coming, as though we were already tired of reading. I have been reading political articles online recently to find very long articles well over 1500 words. Some tire me, some leave me wanting more and it is a combination of style and content which majes the difference. So Ezine publishers have their word length preferences while some care more about what their readers want or tolerate.

Comment provided September 12, 2006 at 3:53 PM

What percentage of text of a website page should the long tail keyword be?

And one-two word keyword %?

Should a long tail keyword be used in your header on your website? Is that better?

In an article what % of times you should use a long tail keyword?

and one-two word keyword?

Comment provided September 12, 2006 at 4:42 PM

2 more questions:
I am trying to understand KEI Analysis and Count. I want at least a 10 on the KEI but hope for the gift of a 200 right? So what is ‘acceptable’ and what is good and what is a treasure I will thank the Gods for on the ‘Count’?

#2 Should I include my ‘name, Kathy, etc. in my keywords if it does not come up on wordtracker but does come up on google some 1300 times? Or should i hold out for a long tail keyword that is relevant to what I am trying to sell which is art?

Comment provided September 12, 2006 at 5:07 PM

Long Tail success comes from mining the TAIL, not the HEAD.

That’s a hint. :-)

Comment provided September 12, 2006 at 6:20 PM

Ehhh ! I found it! YAY!

Thanks Chris i guess I just skimmed the info too fast.

Marketing Tip: Always create a page on your site for each Long Tail keyword phrase you target, place it in the title and the url. Plus, if you write articles, place your keyword phrase in the title of your article and syndicate your articles around the web using sites like EzineArticles.com mentioned above.

Comment provided September 12, 2006 at 6:35 PM

Titus Hoskins writes:

Hi Chris,

“I was just on Anthony Blake’s forums when I read a comment Titus made about EzineArticles in July of 2005, ‚¬“EzineArticles – This brought in a lot of traffic when I first started but they have gone from around 2000 authors to over 7000 authors so their traffic is spread too thin now!‚¬ Titus: Curious: Do you still feel that way today now that we are at 30k+ registered authors?”

Actually that statement would probably still be true if I hadn’t started targeting longer keywords within my articles!

Back then, it was more likely to get hits from the generic traffic within EzineArticles with 2000 writers instead of 7000 or 30,000. The odds were in your favor and less competition – fewer writers and fewer articles to compete with.

Now, I believe the original source of much of my traffic from within EzineArticles comes from Google. Mainly because high PR6 or PR7 sites like EzineArticles, PromotionWorld, Buzzle… get top listings in Google for – you guessed it, my Long Tail keywords in the articles.

But it’s splitting hairs!

I am just grateful for the traffic from EzineArticles and not to mention the articles that get picked up by ezines from there. Besides, articles, even long-winded ones written by me, are great pre-sell tools. It’s the quality of the traffic that counts.

Even then, it all comes back to that one marketing tip, it has made all the difference for me.

Thanks Again – Chris!

Comment provided September 12, 2006 at 8:51 PM

Chris, I got the second question w/your clue but what about the other one?

Someone told me that the keywords should only add up to 1.5% of the text in my website. I don’t get that. That works for an article but what about a website? I would have to have a novel on each page.

Please, please…. at least another clue.

Comment provided September 12, 2006 at 10:29 PM

Well, I can tell you this in all my years of studying all this stuff, that Chris’ Long Tail Theory is about the only one, which ever passed the “smell test” and did not conflict with any of the evidence or data I have collected, indeed it is the only one that ever made sense to me. So, I wrote this article last year on this subject.

Comment provided September 13, 2006 at 3:42 AM

Long tail secrets are shared only with clients and our registered authors for the purposes of helping them advance the effectiveness of their articles.

You are asking me about how to optimize your website with the same long tail strategies and this is beyond the scope of this blog. :)

I can tell you that in July of this year I committed to producing an in-depth online training class on the Long Tail, but have not set a date yet for when it’ll be. Watch for announcements in the EzineArticles weekly newsletter.

For now, I recommend that you go buy Chris Anderson’s book on the topic.

Comment provided September 13, 2006 at 5:40 AM

Ed Howes writes:

I just read your article and found it a breath of fresh air. Before I finally got online, I had a friend submitting my articles to two sites for me. She hated doing it. Did not like choosing categories and probably did not bother listing keywords at all. When I got online last November, I was perplexed by it and just guessed at keyeords for my lists. As I learned one could use keywords to rig the system so one’s articles got more attention by search engines, I decided I did not care if I had any advantage over others. That those who are supposed to find one article or another, would eventually find them. Your article confirms and strengthens my intuition, so I thank you for calling my attention to it. When I finally begin marketing, I believe I will stick with the same approach and not worry that someone else got MY sale.

I subscribe to quite a few marketing newsletters I barely have time to read and find them interesting when I do. I can see I have LOST millions of dollars by not getting online sooner and applying all the marketing wisdom offered me. While I regret this terrible loss, it hardly disturbs my sleep.

Comment provided September 13, 2006 at 10:12 AM

Derrick writes:

I think you might have missed a few points in Lance’s article.

When he is talking about keywords he is not JUST talking about keywords that you put in the keyword section when you are submitting an article he is talking about actually using keywords in the article itself, in the title etc.. in additin to the keyword area when you submit them.

Maybe you do understand this but I just want you to get off on the right foot :)

Comment provided September 13, 2006 at 1:21 PM

Thank you for your kind reply and book suggestion. You can’t fault me for asking questions and trying right?

I cannot wait ’til your online training class on Long Tail Keywords. I will keep my eyes peeled for EzineArticles weekly newsletters as to the date.

BTW I am a registered author, of course! EzineArticles is my very best favorite!

Comment provided September 13, 2006 at 1:36 PM

Good clarification and I have even gone so far as to peruse industry websites, right click their source codes and look at their “meta tags” and “key words” then I make titles using those and filter them into the articles I write to increase traffic. Now, obviously I do not do this with every article anymore, especially when I write 50-70 articles in a 12-hour day, but over time you get the feel for what all the secondary words are.

For instance writing about Hurricanes. I will use Hurricane Hunters, NOAA, satellite, tropical depression, tropical storm, Cape Verde, Leeward Islands, bay, gulf of mexico, storm surge, Saffir-Simpson scale, Miami Hurricane Center, Hurricane Authority, Weather Channel, Island, caribbean, etc.

Everyone else goes for “Hurricane Florence” sure and your will end of on page 2 or 3 on google and no one will see it. Well sure some people will, but a lot less than;

“NOAA Reports Tropical Hurricane Florence Brushes Bermuda; No power confirmed Weather Channel and Hurricane Hunters”

Then an article of 260-300 words of all the most popular second and third tier words. You know once you put these in your voacabulary and get use to writting them, they come natural anyway in your speech and articles too.

Proof? Sure; today I have: 2,498,870 articles views right now, look at the clock and at 6,000 to 10,000 per day (24-hr. period) that means I will pass the 2.5 Million article view threshold on this 13th day of September 2006.

Thank you Derrick for bring up this point.

Comment provided September 13, 2006 at 1:38 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Thanks Derrick,

I do understand theses SEO principles. What I am saying is until I go further into marketing than I have so far, I’m just not willing to put a lot of time and effort into optimizing for Search Engines and an articles like Lance’s and these blog posts go a long way in telling me the stuff I can just skip over when I;m ready to dive into SEO. Even Lance’s response to your post improved my understanding, so I am not concerened about how much I have yet to learn, as I learn. Whatever area I focus on, I read articles about and I am seldom disappointed there either. Right now I have to learn how to choose a webmaster to do work I am not yet ready to learn myself. One must set priorities. I’d go nuts trying to learn everything at once.

Comment provided September 13, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Derrick writes:

Thanks for the post, very awesome information, I have been submitting articles under pen names for quite some time and I too see my traffic grow(not as fast as yours but you have a TON of articles).

Have you ever wrote about what your motivation behind your articles are?

Some of us write to promote our business or make money, some of us write because we just love to write.

To me it appears you do not promote that much through your articles. But someone pumping out that many articles has to have some reason in addition to just liking to write?

Comment provided September 13, 2006 at 4:06 PM

Derrick, it is merely part of a much larger plan my friend.

Comment provided September 14, 2006 at 3:04 PM

Derrick writes:

Thanks for the reply, hope I wasn’t being too nosy, good luck with your plan!

Comment provided September 14, 2006 at 4:42 PM

Derrick, Luck is indeed a wonderful thing and anyone would be wise to take all they can get. But when you wish someone good luck who is really working hard to make it happen, it is almost as if you are saying that any success they may have had is luck. I always wish those who blaze the field with past, present and obvious future success in their endeavors; I wish them: Continued Success!

Comment provided September 15, 2006 at 1:41 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Good Luck is where opportunity meets preparation. The struggling and the successful never have too much.

Comment provided September 16, 2006 at 12:58 PM

Derrick writes:

I don’t think anyone can rightfully question the hard work you put in Lance :) and no doubt with continued hard work success will happen.

Comment provided September 16, 2006 at 3:30 PM