Crikey!

Who doesn’t love the Crocodile Hunter? EzineArticles expert Thomas Murrell (from Western Australia) wrote a tribute to Steve Irwin about his brand and marketing smarts that lead to his success: Why The World Loved The Steve Irwin Personal Brand

Article Writing Coach Perspecitive: In addition to the critical elements that Murrell reveals in his article, I really like his style of writing articles — as I’m left knowing that I received value from the format. Sometimes the format of an article significantly raises the quality of the arguments and thoughts being presented. If his article didn’t have a number of elements identified and it was one long conversational article, I probably wouldn’t have read it. Of course there is nothing wrong with a conversational article, but I’m a fan of the bullet point or numbered lists within articles or at least identification of sub-topics within a main topic. Nice job Thomas!

For those interested in the Steve Irwin long tail, here’s a small chunk of it:

steve irwin,3745
steve irwin crocodile hunter,406
steve irwin death,402
croc death irwin steve,129
steve irwin zoo,128
illustrated irwin sports steve,119
steve irwin australia zoo,109
steve irwin on larry king,54
steve irwin dead,44
irwin steve stupid,37
steve irwin article,30
steve irwin biography,30

Personally, I thought the guy was a bit nuts but like most everyone else, loved to watch the guy! His enthusiasm and passion for life was off the charts…and this is something worth modeling. RIP Crocodile Hunter!

Keith Renninson writes:

Chris,

Thanks for pointing out Murrell’s article…it is done well. the style is concise and clear. I’ve often thought of doing more bulleted columns, maybe now I will.

In your follow up comments, you show his “long tail” keywords…what are the numbers behind each one?

Thanks,

Keith……

Comment provided September 14, 2006 at 11:17 AM

The numbers indicate relative interest in each keyword or keyphrase based on numbers from the Overture database (Yahoo).

In this case, the 1st three in the list are the HEAD of the tail and the rest are part of the long tail… meaning, there is more competition for the HEAD of the tail in search volume, but a higher chance of obtaining search engine love with terms near the bottom of the long tail due to the lower supply (sometimes called a CONTENT VACUUM) of articles on those topics.

Comment provided September 14, 2006 at 11:23 AM

Edward Weiss writes:

Just finished reading the article. I thougt it was very well written but more importantly, it was interesting! Those of us interested in marketing certainly know about branding and to read how Steve Irwin did it so successfully is a great lesson. Nice angle and great article!

Comment provided September 14, 2006 at 12:14 PM

The gentleman died doing something he loves, lived life to the fullest, knew the risks and accepted those. In watching previous shows, I always said to myself some day this guy is going to get eaten by something. He was a showman and that is what he wanted to do. He also wanted to bring awareness to animal species and he did that during his life and in his death. All is well that ends well.

Comment provided September 14, 2006 at 3:01 PM

Shei writes:

What’s long tail by the way, everyone seems to be talking about long tail these days.

Comment provided September 16, 2006 at 2:41 AM

Audrey Okaneko writes:

Shei,

http://ezinearticles.com/?id=295787 This is the article referred to in a blog post by Chris a few days ago.

Comment provided September 16, 2006 at 4:52 PM

Chris,

Just wanted to let you know about an article I wrote over at smallbusinessbranding.com related to this post and mentioned EzineArticles.com.

Thanks for the great resources and tools you provide here!

Kammie K.

Comment provided September 17, 2006 at 1:02 PM

Kammie,

Cool! Yeah, I had saw your blog entry earlier this morning.

Very nice and thanks!