Whistle Why You Work?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I was a Music Major with hopes and dreams of educating and leading young minds in the pursuit of creating their own music.  Well, things change and if you would have said to me when I was a college freshman I would be helping to manage one of the Internet’s largest article directories I would have said you were nuts….of course back in 1988 I also would have asked you what this Internet thing is.  So instead of conducting an orchestra of instruments, I have found myself conducting an orchestra of words.  Just like a traditional orchestra, I and the rest of the EzineArticles.com team are just here to provide assistance and direction while you the authors, or orchestra members, provide the music in the form of your articles.

Today, music is still very important to me – whether it’s Brahms, Puccini, Billy Joel or Dave Matthews – when I have the tunes on I accomplish 10x what I do when I don’t have them on.  Article writing and marketing may sometimes feel more like work than pleasure at times, but find that one thing that makes “work” seem less…well, work-like and see if it helps your production.

So what do you do to help get yourself in the article writing zone and create your EzineArticles.com “music”?

Edward Weiss writes:

Strangely enough, if I have music playing in the background, I have to turn it off before writing. I can’t concentrate if there’s music playing. Never could. I say strangely because I’m a pianist.

I actually enjoy writing articles on the topics I love. I now write for two topics – poetry and music. And since I have newsletters coming out on Mon. and Wed. I have no choice but to write! :)

Comment provided August 4, 2006 at 10:20 AM

Keith Renninson writes:

Wally,

I, like Edward, will use the word “strangely”, because some days I love Andreas Bucelli and others I need “people noise” so I will have Fox News on the TV or work at my local Barnes & Noble in the Starbuck’s coffee shop area. It all comes from the mood I’m in before I write which is always different so I don’t get bored.

Of course, I’d really rather be out on my bike in the Colorado mountains, but that’s a story for another time.

Thanks for asking about our processes, it will be interesting to see what others do.

Keith……

Comment provided August 4, 2006 at 10:43 AM

Dina writes:

Hi Wally,

I love this topic. :) I’ve been debating on uploading a file of Clair De Lune to my blog for reader enjoyment. I know it won’t help me boost copywriting traffic, but sometimes I get so carried away in my world of happy tunes that I need to put some of the love out there.

What do I do to “create the article music?” Ask my readers questions and then take their feedback and mull it over for a few days. I’m writing an article as we speak that addresses a reader-posed request from a recent survey I sent out.

Thanks for asking – I think I WILL add some of that moonlight to my blog!

Dina

Comment provided August 4, 2006 at 10:53 AM

I have noticed something interesting. That if I am listening to Classical, 80’s XM or at Borders, Barnes and Noble, Caribous, Its a Grind or Starbucks writing then my articles come out differently? That is to say they are almost in tune and in tone with the beat, seriousness or relaxing feel of the music. I always think that is kind of interesting. Sometimes the music brings up a point or a phrase, which is appropos to the subject and then I have to stop briefly and write a new title for that idea. I was listening to Fiona Apple the other day and decided many phrases were worthy of potential subject matter or potential titles for articles. This is a great subject.

On the other hand visuals like watching Discovery Channel, Wings, Weather Channel, Sci Fi, Movie Channel, Sports or News, my articles also come out differently. Then if I switch while in the middle of an article it seems to change the outcome a bit?

I know if you are watching a Docu-Drama, Action film or listening to music with lots of verbal irony, Country or some of the newer stuff then you must re-check your articles and be careful editing, otherwise too many mistakes.

Question, which is the best music to listen to in the background when writing articles? Or is Edward more on track with just turning it all off? And should an author listen to certain types of music for certain articles; Like when writing about relationships, love, philosophy, self help, health and fitness or business?

If music sets the mood you are looking for and you are writing self help, would that propel a stronger emotional, motivational or moving article? It would seem it would? I mean it makes sense that it would, but would it? This is worthy of more experimentation. Would it be a more personal thing, since each brain has been slightly formated differently.

I met one writer at Starbucks who never takes his iPod Nano earbuds out and writes the whole time, quickly too. I have read some of her stuff and I must say it is quite good indeed.

Comment provided August 4, 2006 at 12:32 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

This is a fun topic because everyone has their own writing rituals, including me. At the start of each day, before I do anything, I make a fresh pot of coffee and then sit in my old bamboo rocking chair on the back porch. The various birds chirping is my “music”. The soft summer breeze rustling through the leaves along with the smell of linden trees gets my creative juices flowing.

After I finished my java, I go for a walk through the gardens, enjoying the vivid summer colors. Then I’m ready to seize the day!

Comment provided August 4, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Pamela, sounds like paradise!

Comment provided August 4, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Cecil McIntosh writes:

I must confess I am not writing as often as I ought to. However, when I do write, I write in silence.

Silence to me has wonderful words and feelings which becomes music to my ears and my inspiration.

I am usually inspired early in the morning or if I have an hour or two of rest during the day.

Comment provided August 4, 2006 at 4:07 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

Ed Weiss: It is paradise this time of year. In another six months, I’ll be building snowpeople to get the right side of my brain in gear and the keyboard clacking.

Cecil: The silence you speak of allows the five senses to percolate and then flow from pen to paper. And of course a power nap works for me too.

I really enjoyed your comments! :-))

Comment provided August 5, 2006 at 10:10 AM

Cecil McIntosh writes:

Pamela: I am wondering what would happen if you would walk through the garden in the morning, enjoying the vivid summer colors as you listen to the ‚¬“music‚¬ of the birds chirping?

Then you turn down the ‚¬“music‚¬, sit in silence and allow the five senses to percolate as you experience the flow of energy from pen to paper.

Comment provided August 5, 2006 at 12:18 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

Cecil: I’ll give it a try and let you know.

Comment provided August 5, 2006 at 3:55 PM

When I enter a creative writing zone, I usually do it with dance music cranked up… (Music Choice’s Dance Channel when on Cable or similar to Sirius’s The Beat or XM’s BPM channel).

Cranking the tunes allows me to put order to my thoughts or perhaps it helps me tune out everything else except for the present moment.

Comment provided August 6, 2006 at 5:55 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

If I’ve been writing for long periods of time, I call my grandchildren (ages 7, 11, & 13) for a dance “lesson”. Dancing is great exercise! After cranking up the tunes, we take turns teaching one another a favorite dance. It’s great exercise & lots of laughs! Dancing relieves my fanny fatigue and brain drain so that I can go back and write some more.

Comment provided August 6, 2006 at 7:13 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Hey Wally,

Fascinating post and consciousness raising too. I must have accidentally deleted my Email notification or I would have participated sooner. (Do I hear applause?)

Writing or reading at my desk I am usually not listening to NPR as if to absorb news and title ideas by osmosis. This in an atmosphere that would be quiet all day excwpt the soft whirring of electical equipment and traffic out on the highway that is ignored but for the occassional siren. When there is no talk on NPR, which there is not after 7PM in my neck of the woods, I turn on a pop – rock station and also ignore it. This has nothing to do with my process that I know of. Whatever is on I tune out mostly.

So Edward struck a spark with me. I want to try the silence for a while. Turn the radio on during infrequent breaks. I’m the newbie 10 years behind and catching up slowly. And Pamela is holding out on us. She tells us everything about preparation and breaks but keeps what is happening during her writing a professional secret. Come on Pamela, open up. It will be just among the ten of us. :-)

Comment provided August 7, 2006 at 12:09 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

Hey, Ed Howes: No secret during writing. I always have a pad & pen handy and write down the first thing that pops into my head…then edit later. I keep packs of yellow legal pads in every room of the house and carry a 5 X 3 ” memo book in my purse or back pocket at all times. Always remember, there is a story around every corner.
;-))

Comment provided August 9, 2006 at 7:48 AM

Ed Howes writes:

No, no, Pamela,

Do you whistle while you write, hum, sing, play music, work in silence?

Comment provided August 9, 2006 at 7:57 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

Ed, I write in semi-silence. There are always birds chirping, buzzing locusts, and the sound of leaves rustling; nature’s music. :-)

Comment provided August 10, 2006 at 5:51 AM

Warren Stevens writes:

Contrary to the expectations of almost everybody, I’ve found I’m rarely capable of doing more than one thing at a time. I’m highly distractable, so when I’m working, I rarely listen to music on purpose, although I have noticed that if there is a radio playing softly in another room, it is sometimes okay. I can get irritable if everything is not just right.

I get lonely in a weird way uring long periods of writing and sometimes I like to hear people noise, as long as they don’t actually like, need anything from me or God Forbid, ask interrupt. Hearing someone in the kitchen washing dishes or the washing machine running is good for this.

Comment provided August 24, 2006 at 3:31 PM