Pamela Beers – Author Spotlight

Today’s EzineArticles Author Spotlight is freelance writer and educator, Pamela Beers.

Pamela was picked by one of our editors because of the quality of her original articles (such as this one: “Pardon Me, Your Participle Is Dangling” ) and because of her active participation in this blog (37 comments puts her in 8th place for the most comments since we started tracking a few months ago).

Ok, back to Pamela’s “Dangline Participle” article… brings back horror from High School grammar classes and visions of evil sentence diagramming exercises. Thankfully, she spells it out in very non-threatening language in her article.

Lastly, her article on writing with pizzazz does resonate with me as I always love action adverbs to spice up some dull text… Pamela calls them, “vocal verbs and adverbs.”

Check out her articles and website when you get a moment today.

Ed Howes writes:

What an excellent spotlight choice Chris!

What a delight to find one of my favorite Ezine Article authors featured today! Pamela – edit your hyperlink on the Dangling Participle article and get more traffic. :-) Pamela is my second reminder in three days to put more humor in my own writing. Now I’ll make it a point to read her every week until I do. I’m delighted!

Comment provided August 7, 2006 at 10:27 AM

Kristin writes:

Pamela is obviously a fan of EATS, SHOOTS AND LEAVES. Who says grammar has to be boring?

Comment provided August 7, 2006 at 11:35 AM

Dina writes:

Pamela, you’re such a cutie-pie. :) Congrats on being in the spotlight!

I’m glad to see you fighting on the side of the old-school grammarians. Sometimes I really worry that lawlessness will prevail on the internet, and I’ll be out of a profession. Keep doing what you’re doing! In fact – I have a request for your next article. Will you please explain the proper use of the word ANYMORE to the next generation of readers? I’ve been seeing and hearing that one used incorrectly and it’s driving me batty…

Comment provided August 7, 2006 at 12:47 PM

Ruth writes:

Pamela has a very appealing website. I shall study it more closely, as I am in the constant process of upgrading my writing skill.

I also notice there is a “Kid” section. That’s great.

I have a “Kid” section on my pet blog. I just started it. The kids like to write stories to my dogs. Yup, really!

So I decided to post the stories. Let the kids be heard.

Comment provided August 7, 2006 at 6:52 PM

Jennifer Thieme writes:

I always enjoy these spotlights. Thanks.

Comment provided August 7, 2006 at 10:20 PM

Cecil McIntosh writes:

Hey Pamela,

CONGRATULATIONS! On being selected and spotlighted.

Thanks for sharing: – ‚¬“Dialogue can bring a story to life by using a few lively vocal verbs and adverbs in place of the ho-hum “he said, she said” exchanges.‚¬

Simple yet so effective.

Comment provided August 8, 2006 at 6:32 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Chris: What an overwhelming surprise to be chosen for the author spotlight! Thank you for the honor. Yikes, sentence diagramming exercises! It’s worse than eating brussel sprouts and Limburger cheese.

Ed: I was touched by your comment. You’ll be glad to know that I’ve corrected my ‘dangling typo’ in my hyperlink. Thanks for yur help. You are a love.

Kristin: Yes, I am a fan of EATS, SHOOTS, and LEAVES. Grammar really is fun!

Dina: You are one of my favorite authors and one cute chick. Thank you so much for the “congrats”.
Fear not, good copywriters are in demand. Corporations are looking for people like us with good grammar skills. I’ll start the article addressing the word ANYMORE right away. We’ll get rid of the bats in your belfry.

Ruth: So glad you have a place where children can write. I is an important skill for them to learn and the more they practice their writing skills, the better they will get.

Jennifer: I’ve met some really great people out there as a result of these “spotlights”; folks that I would not have known about if it weren’t for this feature.

Back to you, Chris and your staff: Thanks again for everything, I really appreciate everything you do.

Comment provided August 8, 2006 at 7:04 AM

Just a note: As a new feature, all Author Spotlights in this blog are now categorized together here:

Comment provided August 8, 2006 at 8:06 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Hi Cecil,

I see we are neighbors; you’re just across the big pond (Lake Ontario) from us. I’ll wave to you when I go to the beach for some quiet reflective time.

Thanks for taking the time to say, “Congrats”.

Comment provided August 8, 2006 at 8:10 AM

Dina writes:

Pamela, you said:

“Corporations are looking for people like us with good grammar skills.”

Ironically, corporate world is where I (as well as my copywriting mates) have had to put forth our most valiant efforts to preserve grammatical correctness. Marketing people can be so stubborn at times! ;)

I love that you’re putting out articles explaining the grammatical rules, because you provide a nice, Google-able way to back my grammatical assertions with authoritative explanations.

Just the other day I tried in vain to explain to my fella that “the cup is setting on the table” is INCORRECT. I even managed to find a good explanation that the cup is SITUATED

(There’s another article topic for you.)

Comment provided August 8, 2006 at 9:46 AM

Dina writes:

Um, oops I just hit return by accident.

I was rambling about sit and set. After you SET the cup on the table, it is now SITUATED there for all to see, hence it’s SITTING, and not SETTING, on the table.

Oh, nevermind.

Comment provided August 8, 2006 at 9:47 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Such examples go far to imprint the rule. I have noticed a lot of people using effect while meaning affect. The gusting wind had the effect of overturning the patio table and umbrella and affected the potted plants in its path in a damging manner. This has an effect on the subconscious and affects one’s grammar as a result. :’)

Comment provided August 8, 2006 at 11:08 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Dina: I’d love to go into an account with you. Being a former sales & marketing person before I went back into teaching, and an old coot to boot, I don’t take guff from any of them. Some of these marketing people can be a pain. They need to realize that their business is a reflection of the written words that go out to their potential customers.

Ed: There are an abundance of words that are used incorrectly everyday. adapt, adept, adopt;
angel, angle; confident, confidant; conscience, conscious; and so on…..

You and Dina have inspired me to write more about writing. :-) Thanks so much for your feedback.

Comment provided August 9, 2006 at 5:22 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Chris, what a lovely new feature; categorizing the Author Spotlights! Again, I feel honored. Thanks a lot.

Comment provided August 9, 2006 at 5:26 AM

Dina writes:

Specifically, I was referring to my old full-time days in retail, where the egos are a bit larger than they are out here. :) Freelance clients are much easier to work with as I’m sure you well know! But thank you for the offer and I’ll look forward to reading your whimsical and informative articles.

Comment provided August 9, 2006 at 5:41 AM

Dina writes:

PS – Pamela, I’m going to publish your article, Writing With Pizzazz, in my blog today. Thanks! :)

Comment provided August 9, 2006 at 5:59 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Dina, you are very welcome. I have writing articles in archives on my website if you need to use. Just sent one in to EZ articles re “anymore”. Thanks for the inspiration.

I get very protective of people I like (kind of like a mother grizzly bear). So-o-o I wanted to go find those stubborn marketing people and file down their pointy little heads.

Yes, freelancing is much more fun. The egos aren’t quite so bloated.

Comment provided August 9, 2006 at 6:18 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Hey you two,

Thanks for filling my inbox with comment notifications. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Comment provided August 9, 2006 at 7:45 PM

Dina writes:

Ed… have you been taking your funny pills? Every time I see another blog post from you, I’m laughing.

I’m stuck on the Pamela Loop and can’t stop reading her articles. I can’t help it… they’re too good!

Here’s a great one that’s both informative and funny:

Net Lingo: Huh?

Comment provided August 10, 2006 at 5:00 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Ed, that’s ’cause you ARE a warm and fuzzy guy!

Dina, you are such a great cheerleader! Thanks!XOXO

Comment provided August 10, 2006 at 6:11 AM

Is it time for a Group Hug and everyone sing Kumbaya by the EzineArticles campfire?

Comment provided August 10, 2006 at 6:27 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Chris, What a great idea! :-))

Comment provided August 10, 2006 at 6:35 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Thanks for the lingo link. I read it a few months back and just enjoyed the review. It took a while because one does not just gloss over a Pamela glossary. Once upon a time in my backyard menagerie, my kitty bit my asp and made me cry. the wound took weeks to heal.

Comment provided August 10, 2006 at 9:04 AM

Pamela Beers writes:

Blog#21: I forgot to mention that I’ll bring the hotdogs and Ed H. can bring his asp (blog #23). Could that have been a typo there, Ed? ;-)

Comment provided August 10, 2006 at 4:20 PM

I really like Pamela’s articles too. Good stuff indeed.

Comment provided August 14, 2006 at 11:52 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

Thanks a lot Lance! So happy you like articles. It is people like you who inspire me to write more. :-)

Comment provided August 15, 2006 at 6:02 AM