B2B vs. B2C Article Writing?

Trish writes, “Is this marketing approach more beneficial for a B2B company, a B2C company, or pretty much good for both types?”

Answer: Article writing, marketing, syndication/distribution is beneficial for both types of articles. Wherever/whenever people from any industry or personal interest have questions left unanswered, you can be assured that article marketing can meet the demand.

Trish asked, “How “commercial” can an article be in terms of promoting a company’s products or services? Is it best to stay away from any kind of pitch?”

Answer: The body of the article should not contain any pitch whatsoever. You “GIVE” in the article BODY and you “TAKE” in the RESOURCE BOX.

Trish asked, “Now be honest: Are there certain types of companies/industries that wouldn’t see much benefit from offering articles through ezinearticles.com?”

Answer: Fair question. :-) First time that I’ve heard this one. You might be surprised by my answer:

Easy answer: No. Every industry and niche can benefit.

More complex answer: Highly competitive niches (finance topics for example) will have to exert a much higher force of energy (in terms of quantity of quality articles) in order to get a benefit from attracting a slice of the traffic that is high in demand.

Conversely, a very narrow topic may only have a very small amount of market demand for that subject… in which case it’s easy to dominate an entire niche or industry by applying the same amount of depth required to get a slice of a highly competitive niche’s traffic for a very small niche’s attention. Hope that makes sense.

Let me give you an argument against EzineArticles.com for B2B content:

Content that requires in depth footnotes is not right for us… nor is any content that has to be explained over and over again so that a novice can comprehend what they are talking about. If you have to cite references to validate your arguments, this is probably not the right medium for you.

Some B2B enterprise executives would probably argue with me that there is no way they are going to base a multi-million dollar product (such as a paper mill press or something on that order) purchase based on a 450 word article found on EzineArticles.com… and that they would trust a PDF-based research report instead of some unconfirmed advice-based article found on a site like ours.

However, it’s not always about giving information to close a deal or help a customer complete a sale… and thanks to the way our content is found, if we had 100k+ articles about some very rare B2B topics that no consumer in their right mind could care about; it would never impact the consumer-user because of the way our content is found.

In conclusion, only the savvy B2B marketer will reap the spoils of article syndication while the typical B2B corporate marketer will probably take the safe route by buying expensive advertising because they rarely get fired for doing that… even if it’s the most ridiculous thing they could do with a marketing budget.

Your thoughts?

Ed Howes writes:

I can see technical and business articles could thrive and they could be a paid service, paying writers for the content and charging businesses and individuals subscription fees. If they grew large enough, they might be able to adopt the free content model as they could attract the big bucks advertisers. If they could do noth as commercial magazines and newspapers do, why wouldn’t they?

When consumers weary of overt and subtle sales techniques, they will again become customers and demand some respect. At that point they will deserve it. Yet, I suspect those who will treat consumers as if they were customers or potential customers, will have a substantiail competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Comment provided August 28, 2006 at 1:42 PM

Trish Lambert writes:

Laugh! Well, you made my day! How great to pose a question that you’ve not been asked before!

I’ve been in the “content creation as a marketing tool” business since before the internet (imagine!), and now work with a lot of business owners who are new to the article method of marketing. The questions you list here represent a few of the questions I get asked by them when I tell them about this very effective marketing channel.

And you picked three key questions from my list. Mine is a B2B company, but many of my clients are B2C firms, and I have found that articles, and putting articles on EzineArticles.com in particular, are one of the best guerilla marketing techniques a business can pursue.

I also often need to explain the difference between what you call the “give” and “take” of the article itself and the resource box. The article itself conveys your expertise and credibility, while the resource box conveys the pitch for your particular product or service.

And I asked the 3rd question out of curiosity, because I couldn’t think of ANY business that this wouldn’t work for! Your response is excellent; I hadn’t thought of “reference heavy” articles, but do see that they might not work well here.

Anyway, long story short…thanks! I can now cite this entry when my clients ask these questions!

Trish

Comment provided August 28, 2006 at 2:12 PM

Trish,

Thanks for reminding me today that “Article Marketing” is really the old “Education-based Marketing” strategy that so many folks have forgotten in today’s instant gratification-based marketing ideologies…

Clearly the companies that educate their markets will be looked upon as the leaders of their industries. :-)

Comment provided August 28, 2006 at 2:17 PM

Well, I have had incredible success with B2B Industry only related articles. So, I would say that I believe that B2B is suited for this venue. In fact my B2B articles always seem to out perform my Consumer or Internet Casual Reader articles. I cannot imagine a category that this venue would not work with. Although an online submission site entrepreneur may believe the venue works best in certain aspects, as that is their target, I see this venue working well in aspects never mentioned before. Such as a Politician wishing to get a message out. It works extremely well for simple “Public Awareness” articles, which sell nothing. It works for free advice on “how to do Something” even if that person is not selling that particular thing. Many authors write how to articles or put up cooking recipes, but they are not Cooks? They might be mortgage brokers. Nevertheless the article is well received. So, limiting the Article Online Submission Category to a certain B2B or B2C is something humans might do, but it may also be rather irrelevant to the reader who stops by due to a Google Search to read and article and is quite pleased with what they read, book marks the site and comes back for more later. Everyone wins. On this site are political commentary, non-fiction, insights, philosophy, commedy, entertainment and all sorts of things. B2B is important for those who sell to a target business sub-sector and B2C is great for those who sell directly to the consumer or end customers, but this Internet Category is so much more. Limiting or re-defining it into such tiny categories is silly. Indeed that misses the point of what it has now evolved into. B2B, B2C, yes works great, but that is hardly all it is good at. Expand your horizons, get out of the box and look around a bit. Read some of the off topic articles that folks are writing here. Someone who is a Real Estate Industry Participant may have 30 articles on that sector and 8-10 on misc. stuff and those too attract lots of readers to this site, which sometimes benefits them, but more likely benefits the traffic here and all the rest of us authors. When Internet Surfers come here to play, they browse and like to stay and once in a while they click away and maybe this is how you will recieve your pay? Please consider this today.

Comment provided August 28, 2006 at 4:52 PM

Evelyn Lim writes:

As an owner of two article directories, I see a deluge of B2C article submissions lately. Mostly, they have no “real content”. The articles submitted are hardly educational; merely long lists of what services or features their products or services have. Needless to say, I tend to reject them. I’m wondering if there is any way that these authors can be educated on positioning their article content differently so that it has more information and education value.

Comment provided August 28, 2006 at 7:16 PM

Thanks Trish for your blog mention:

:-)

Comment provided August 31, 2006 at 11:39 AM

Kevin McGee writes:

These are very well wrote bloggs keep up the good work

Comment provided July 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM