Live vs. Not Live Articles

One of our missions with our authors membership interface is to make it more intuitive every day. Today we added some new icons that helps make it more blatantly clear whether an article is “live” or “not-live” on the public site.
(Article is live, accepted and on the public website)
(Pending approval by our article approval team)
(Problem article needs author attention)
(Article is in DRAFT mode)

What do you think of this new article status labeling system?

Better question: When you log in as a member, what do you want to see first? ie: What should we present you with on your membership home page?

Pamela Beers writes:

Looks good. My life is color coded…that’s how I stay organized, so I appreciate having my author membership color coded.

I do have a suggestion: put five star rating option directly under articles. Comments by readers of articles have found it difficult to locate rating option.

Other than that, EzineArticles.com continues to be top notch.

Comment provided July 12, 2006 at 1:19 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Very spiffy! And a good idea. People are much more visual and react faster to something they can see over that which can be read. Reminds me of the mind-map craze a few years back.

What I’d really like to see upon logging in is a quick snapshop of the article reports, i.e., the bottom numbers. This is what I check for most of the time. :)

Comment provided July 12, 2006 at 2:43 PM

I saw noticed this morning and it made me feel “ALIVE !!!” I like it very much, it is a very positive feature. Easy to understand, cool and hip and it let’s you know exactly what is going on when you log in. Very very excellent. Good work.

Comment provided July 12, 2006 at 3:41 PM

Keith Renninson writes:

Chris,

Yes, I like the look too, and as Pamela said, our lives become color coded with systems so this will help. They give the page a contemporary user friendly feel.

I also agree with Edward that the bottom line numbers of views and ezine publishers is most often why I check in, other than to post a new article and check the blog.

All in all, I like the look of the new authors page a lot. Red, black and white are harsh together, but the new colors are easy on the eyes making everything easier to find and read. You’ve given me ideas for my own websites!

Thanks,

Keith……

Comment provided July 12, 2006 at 4:23 PM

Py Kim Conant writes:

Your new article status labeling system looks like a traffic signal. If an author gets the red signal, then he stops for a while and thinks about how to improve for a better article next time. If he gets the live signal with a green light, he gets to go with speed for joy.

Instead of orange, you got the blue sign, “not live.” What’s the difference between the blue and red, all saying, “not live”? Does the blue “not live” has some and still hope for the author?

Py Kim Conant

Comment provided July 12, 2006 at 4:25 PM

Jean Tracy, MSS writes:

Looks good, Christopher.

How about adding an award system for authors who do quality work? Your authors, in turn, could show the awards in promoting their articles in their newsletters, websites, and other marketing materials. It would be a cool motivator and promote EzineArticles too.

Granny Jean

Comment provided July 12, 2006 at 8:40 PM

I like it!!! It was a good idea.

Comment provided July 13, 2006 at 1:26 AM

Py Kim,

Go here to see what the different color codes mean:

Comment provided July 13, 2006 at 7:13 PM

Looks like Chris and Company are working over time, as I see that a couple people mentioned Ezine Publisher stats to be included on the Log In Page and there it is already? Now that my friends is CUSTOMER SERVICE> and kudos goes to the Entire Team at EzineArticles.com , I guess this just goes to show that if the Writers want it and it is feasible, it will be done (the Same Day Even). That is just friggin incredible I tell ya. WOW! Super Duper service.

Comment provided July 13, 2006 at 7:45 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Oops, we could not find server so you can write your comment twice. Time to start making copies ay? I was going to second Edward’s request that the bottom line be moved to the top and then read Lance. Then I decided to visit the member area as I have not done in a few days. Much better.

I am assuming someone on staff here has registered as an author at Search Warp. They too are very progressive with useful features for authors, such as daily and overall view averages, search engine activity and volunteer writing assignments. Each dirctory member area has its strong points and no one has them all. I’m betting EzineArticles will be first, but then, I have a terrible personal bias. :-)

Comment provided July 14, 2006 at 3:04 PM