Deep Link Strategy Gone Wrong

Last night, an author was reported by an end-user for boring him to death. When I went to review the article, I found an excellent article laced with great advice… so I proceeded to review the resource box. This Platinum author had one link in his resource box and it was a deep link to the same article on his website. When you click on it to visit his website, he trapped the user by not giving them any easy way to navigate away from the page unless they clicked on an ad. This is wrong for too many reasons… and let’s start with the first big mistake:

1) The RESOURCE BOX is suppose to contain a RESOURCE for the reader to find out more information about you and what you, the expert, have to offer them, the BUYER or READER of your information.

2) Sending them to the same article as to what they just read offers them no solution or value.

3) Worse, trapping the highly qualified visitor so they can’t navigate away from the landing page is a guaranteed strategy to cause revolt, confusion and a complete lack of future trust or respect from your readership.

4) If you’re going to send your reader deep within your site (or on the landing page for that matter), have something there of VALUE waiting for them, such as a free report, an email list they can join, a free multipart e-course they can sign up for, more of your expertise they can read to get to know you better, etc.

Today’s lesson is to evaluate your LANDING PAGE…the URL where you are funneling your readers…so that you have some nice warm bread, cookies and a soda waiting for them when they visit.

What’s on your landing page?

Worse, if this is a Google AdSense ad, they could be in violation of Google’s Terms of Use. I would *hate* for Google to find out…

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 6:32 AM

Your advice is very good and not just for article marketing. The landing page of any Web site should do exactly what you say: help the visitor understand you and what you offer, make them comfortable, build trust, give them a way to get even more information, etc. A good landing page with good, clear and simple navigation will do more than all the tricks you can think of.

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Ed Howes writes:

This is one for my business folder. It is nice to know Chris took an interest in such an insipid complaint. I suppose if someone took the trouble to complain, given the low level of two way communication on this information hughway, I would also check it out, then I’d send a response to the complainer asking for some elucidation because my own experience did not correspond. Could the complainer have been a greater expert on the subject, rehashing his old knowledge? Review harms no one. Let us raise our cups to frivolity!

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 12:51 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

I have no idea what Ed Howes just said.

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 3:12 PM

Ed Howes writes:

I’m sorry Edward,

I mistyped a word. Hughway should have been highway. :-)

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 3:25 PM

Humans will always find a way to cheat and ruin a good system. Interesting indeed. For all the great people in the World I have met online and in my many travels, I must say that there is the other side, willing to violate another persons rights, claiming that there is no law against it? I find such immoral activity void of fairness and problematic, even troubling at times. Humans should do what is fair for all concerned. Obviously on this website we have a lot of what I call; Human-Plus people and we should talk with this gentleman and ask him to do the right thing and bring him back into the fray of fairness and out of the gray of darkness. That is my thought on this issue.

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 5:19 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Might be that some of us are only in it for the money. It’s a very popular idea these days – and all the days before.

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 5:37 PM

Actually, I emailed him privately already a week ago before this boredom complaint even came in because I could sense he was frustrated and the solution to his problems weren’t obvious to him as they were jumping out at me.

He has good intentions, but poor execution… whereas some marketers or publishers are flat out evil and know they are doing evil. In this authors case, I think sadly it’s just incompetence.

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 6:11 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

I’ll tell you what the worst thing is – clicking on a link only to have your browser hijacked by some loser who wants to steal your data. I’ve had this happen once and it almost made me crazy. Thank God for AdAware. Cleaned it up fast.

The pathetic thing about this is that the people doing this are highly intelligent (have to be) and could be working for Google or something. Go figure. :)

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 6:17 PM

Kathryn Bechen writes:

I love your warm cookies and milk analogy Chris and agree! Best. Kathryn

Comment provided June 14, 2006 at 11:56 PM

Jennifer Thieme writes:

Yea, my landing page sucks. Oh well. I’m not going to do anything about it at this time, but thanks for making me think about it. I had not considered it in this way before.

Comment provided June 16, 2006 at 8:32 AM

Keith Derr writes:

In my humble option you should send all your traffic to a landing page.

More specifically a lead capture page of some kind. Offer your new visitor a freebie of some kind in exchange for their name, and email address.

Too many people are all about the immediate sale, and they miss a very important marketing technique…. opt-in list building.

The phrase ‚¬“The money is in the list‚¬ has been around for many years now. It’s as true today as it was the first time it was ever used.

Instead of trying to build an opt-in list, people are just out to make a sale. They don’t realize that they are actually losing money by doing it this way.

Most people do not buy into something until they have seen it 7 times. By giving away something of perceived value, you get to contact your
new opt-in many times over.

I could not tell you how many Google ads I have clicked on thinking I was going to find more info on what ever it was I clicked on only to be taken to a home page with links going all over the place.

A good landing page should be highly focused on what ever it was they click on to get there. If the article/ad was about blue baby buggies, don’t
send them to your home page, send them to your blue buggy page.

Limit the choices people have when they hit your landing page.

1. buy something