Writing Articles in Your Sleep

Expert author Dorothy writes, “OH my gosh! This is getting serious. I am now writing great articles in my sleep–Really! I woke up at 3:30 a.m. with an entire article written. I am typing as fast as I can to get it on paper.”

This is by far the easiest way to get into ‘flow’ when writing articles. When you figure out what you want to write about, just start thinking about it a few days in advance and let the article write itself. It’s rare when I sit down to write an article that I haven’t already written it in my head… Most authors must do the same thing whether they realize it or not, eh? :-)

Edward Weiss writes:

I’ve never written an article in my sleep. Wow. What a way to save time!

The way I do it is I come up with a title I like, then plunge in and write. This method has served me well over the years.

Comment provided May 12, 2006 at 11:46 AM

Ed Howes writes:

My method is similar to Edward’s. Sometimes the article comes first, sometimes the title. I often get ideas when I’m reading something that gets me thinking. When I finish reading I create a document and give it a working title to remind me of the article I will write when it is convenient. I have 10 titles on my desktop now but don’t feel much like writing. When I do, I can write as a batch. Do some of one article and when I want to write something else, I start another. Might have 3 in progress at any time, once I get started.

Comment provided May 12, 2006 at 1:38 PM

Actually as funny as this sounds, I do write articles in my sleep. But the trick is to keep a clip board by your bed to write down the titles of the subjects. What you need to do is when lucid dreaming, when you wake write down the title or subject on your clip board. Otherwise you might have four or five per night and if you do not write them down then you will temporarily forget them until something reminds you during the day, but that could take even a week. You need to write down the ideas so you can use them in the conscious mind you see.

I wonder if this happens to other people, but I have had full dreams of writing complete articles, editing, typing, re-sizing titles, changing fonts, etc. Maybe this does not happen to everyone, but I guess I write a lot of articles or something like this. Pretty funny stuff really, science is still learning about the brain, I have written some articles on this and for more information check out the Stanford Sleep Research Center.

Comment provided May 12, 2006 at 4:48 PM

Programmer #1 writes:

Your not alone Lance!

Actually, I CODE in my dreams! I lucid dream regularly. Very often I will be working on a project, and become stuck on a problem. I will drop it and go on to something else, and just let it sink in for awhile. It rarely fails, sometime that night, I will wake up in the middle of the night with the answer, run to my computer or at least grab a folder and jot it down quick. Most of my best idea’s have occurred this way.

Comment provided May 12, 2006 at 5:41 PM

jen blackert writes:

I end up thinking about article ideas all night and end up not coming up with anything in the a.m. AND I lose sleep!

AUGH!

Comment provided May 13, 2006 at 1:11 PM

Mark writes:

I thought up of my first article while I was getting a haircut, believe it or not. As soon as I rushed home I typed it up quickly and submitted it to EzineArticles. From then – there’s been no looking back.

Comment provided May 13, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Jen,

Well, at least you know where to submit them when you do finally crank them out! :-)

My only recommendation: Crank up the volume. If you are writing articles for the launch of your 70 day project…this is the perfect time to crank out 30-70 more articles as you may find yourself too busy during your actual product launch.

Comment provided May 13, 2006 at 4:53 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

I dream about big boxes of chocolate in my sleep, which I plan on writing about…so, I guess I do write in my sleep in an indirect sort of way.
Oftentimes, that’s where great ideas are born…in your sleep or in a box of chocolates. In either case…enjoy!

Comment provided May 15, 2006 at 7:01 PM

Suzanne writes:

It’s amazing what your subconscious can do if you just “get out of it’s way”! I agree, just plant the seed and let it grow!

Comment provided May 17, 2006 at 9:13 AM