Google Trends for Authors

Google released a new product this week called Google Trends – It builds on the Google Zeitgeist to help you find trends related to Google usage around the world. How can authors use this research tool?

Marketing 101 for article writers is to write what the market wants to read rather than writing what you want the market to read. The Google Trends tool helps you identify what the market is buzzing about related to your niche.

Unlike normal keyword research that helps you get a very narrow and specific direction for what to write about relating to your niche, Google Trends looks at the broad/big picture instead comparing search volume and news volume over a given time period.

The biggest use of this tool that I can see is helping an author to write articles about current events wrapped around given topics they normally write about using the last year of search volume as a guide to indicate what volume of interest a particular story or issue had on the market.

Here’s the link: http://www.google.com/trends
What do you think? How can you leverage the new Google Trends service?

18 Comments

Bryan Knight writes:

Just when I was getting annoyed at receiving too many emails too often from Christopher Knight (no relation) he sends this info which provides a fantastic source for article ideas. Thanks, Chris.

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 10:20 AM

Rick Vidallon writes:

I heard about this tool in one of the forums I visit. I look forward to hearing how other webmasters and website owners plan to use this tool in their marketing efforts.

I currently use another cool Googlelab tool called ‘suggest’. It gives a real time look at how people are using search words and phrases.
Check it out.

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 10:38 AM

Deepak Morris writes:

I got to know of Google Trends through Seth Godin’s blog and my immediate reaction was to test it using “comedy scripts” as a search string.

Clicking on the “Region” tab of the results showed me that the second largest number of seekers for the phrase are in India, my primary target market.

Am I going to put “comedy scripts” as keywords in my website and every article I write on theatre?

You bet.

Deepak

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 10:54 AM

Tammy Lenski writes:

Chris, thanks for the alert about a new resource. I’m heading to Google Trends next and my head is already filled with ideas about how I can put it to use. Your newsletter is a a real benefit!

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 10:57 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Thanks for this heads – up Chris. It seems the value of this blog is skyrocketing lately – eh? I was thinking we could easily do something similar here at EzineArticles. Since you are already listing the top 15 viewed articles in every sub category, which says more about writing titles than it does about content, why not a top fifteen category for categories? Then we can go to a category of interest in the top 15 and see what the top 15 articles are.

I just thought of another popularity indicator – the 5 star rating system. We could add a category of highest rated articles and see how that compares to most viewed. An article that shows up on both categories has to be a good one. Why not use these tools more effectively?

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 11:27 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Another indicator – 15 most popular publisher pick-ups for both categories and articles in that category.

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 11:45 AM

Yvonne Bailey writes:

Now this is news I can use. I’m sure we all get more emails than we care to receive from sites where we’ve published our articles.

In this case, this email caught my immediate attention and gave me a piece of information that I can use right away.

Thanks for keeping me informed.

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 12:55 PM

In reply to those who mentioned too many emails:

It’s always a good idea to use an alternate email address for your article accounts so you’re not bothered by the constant updates but still receiving necessary info. Open up a Yahoo account and change your EzineArticles account to the new email address.

Dina

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 1:18 PM

We’re not talking about the same thing here Dina I think…

First, we take author emails very seriously and always work to limit them to no more than 12 per year.

Platinum members have received a whole 2 emails from us this year and Basic level members have received NONE.

The EzineArticles email newsletter is not a requirement of having an account with us… It’s completely optional, just like this blog and the forums are optional.

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Judy Cullins writes:

Thanks Chris for your great information on google trends.
I did submit a few key words, but as this is new, not much there.
When I put in key word “eBooks” five articles came up.. That gets me going to write more and then connect more with India business people as the graph puts them in top numbers. Like press releases, we can now slant our articles to top news of the day and to emerging prospects. I’m thinking of ways to do this aimed at the small business community. I’ll get back with more specific ideas soon.

Judy Cullins

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 4:00 PM

Tom Shaw writes:

Thanks for the heads-up on Google trends, Chris. Now perhaps someone a bit more clever than me will write an article telling me how to make use of it.
Regards,
Tom

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 5:01 PM

Signe Nichols writes:

Chris,

Keep the information coming! I am still learning all this so I love your information – your site is my fav by far for EzineArticles and marketing with them.

I have to admit at first I was just thinking small, just looking at the United States to market to but I am starting to figure out that I am not seeing the big picture – I guess that’s why it’s called the World Wide Web!

Thanks for all you do!

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 5:33 PM

Geoffrey Ponder writes:

Hi Chris

Thanks for letting us know about this interesting Google development.

I wonder how we can take advantage of this? For instance, my particular niche is Business Networking.

Maybe if a Trend is shown to be Health Care then I can write articles which encourage people to join groups which have a particular interest in Health issues. Alternatively people could take advantage of Forums (like this) in order to raise issues and encourage supporting and educational discussion.

Let’s see how we can use Trends in order to improve and broaden our articles.

Geoffrey Ponder

Comment provided May 12, 2006 at 12:45 AM

Chuck Bartok writes:

I am so new to this computer capabilities after a 35 year hiatus in writing. All I can say is WOW!

The tools sre fantastic.

Now I just have to apply them.

Chuck Bartok

Comment provided May 12, 2006 at 5:04 AM

John Sm writes:

Thanks for the article about Google Trends

Comment provided May 12, 2006 at 5:20 AM

Ed Howes writes:

To Tom, Geoffrey and Chuck,

This is a New Age thing. The previous centuries were all about the use of fear to control behaviors and there is still some hangover in the early years of the new century The previous age was characterized by ” what’s in it for me?” attitudes. But the new 2,000 year Aquarian age is one of science and brotherhood and we can see how this comes together with companies like Google and EzineArticles – even this blog. The operative question of the Aquarian Age is: “How can I help?”

When we now can see what the cyber world wants to know, we ask ourselves how we can help them find it? How can I help all these people? Once we get in the habit of asking and answering this simple question, we act upon it, help large numbers of others with no thought of how we will be compensated for our love and caring and the benefits flow to us as if in a pipeline, constantly surprising us, just like the staff at EzineArticles does. Once we see things in this new light, the goodness just flows in all directions. Ask the right questions and the answers present themselves.

Comment provided May 12, 2006 at 9:27 AM

Terri Z writes:

To those looking for how to use this tool, I’ll share one application. I know that my market uses a variety of terms that mean essentially the same thing. By looking at the regional search info for each term, I saw clearly how the US and Australia favor one term, while the UK uses a different term. I found that information very revealing!

Comment provided May 13, 2006 at 6:21 PM

It is a great guide to know and follow the trends as per Google‚s every day information.

Every time we look for information on the search engines we are creating data as of what is more relevant for us. However, the data as stored and processed by Google, give us the most sought after information and as we follow this clues, it is of great value, as we are interested in what people want.
There is a lot of infrmation available from Google trends, which will help every one of us to get the most information and the most up to date ideas for us to get oriented on what is in the interest of the majority.

Comment provided May 21, 2006 at 9:27 PM