Does It Take Time For An Author To Get A Following?

Newbie Platinum EzineArticles expert author Keith writes to us this week, “I’m a relative newbie to EzineArticles and want to make the most out of the experience by drawing as many people to my websites as possible…that is the normal qwest by we authors right? Well, I’ve submitted 14 articles so far, had a large number of visitors, but a small number of publishers request my work. So, the question that is screaming at me is: “Why don’t they take my articles?””

He further writes, “Is this a normal process in getting accepted? Does it take writers a while to build up to a following? Am I writing about topics that aren’t popular? Of the 600+ publishers that have visited my work so far only 9 have been taken…isn’t that an extremely low number? How do I raise that number? Are my articles too short ( 350-550 ) or too long ( 1000+ )? What can I do to make my work more attractive?”

Let’s dispell some misconceptions today for Keith and many new authors:

First, if you took a sample of yesterdays total site page views, you’d find 85-90%+ of them were generated by end-users of your information and not publishers… ie: Your prospective clients are the bulk of our traffic.

Second, now that publishers finally have better tools for tracking the RSS feeds of every author they like, those who have been on our site for many months begin to get an advantage because publishers will subscribe to their RSS feed to be alerted whenever they have new articles published with us for reprints.

Third, the ‘is my article too-short or too-long issue is crystal clear: 400-750 word articles ALWAYS out-pull 1000+ word articles when it comes to the number of publishers interested in using your article to share with their audience.

In your case Keith, the fact that you’ve had only 9 folks click on your EzinePublisher link within your articles against 600 page views is very normal…in fact, at (9/600) 1.5%, you’re either inline or ahead of most authors by about a few fractions of a percentage… I just did an informal poll from authors with more than 300k page views and the range was .8% to 2.2%.

Lastly, Keith…my recommendation: Your EzinePublisher percentage performance is near meaningless at this point as you only have 14 articles listed. I’d focus all of your attention on creating and/or submitting a few hundred more articles in the 400-750 word-count range and then revisit this issue. Hopefully by the end of 2006 we’ll have more pattern analysis done to help give you and our authors more tools to figure out how to maximize the number of times your article gets syndicated.

Ed Howes writes:

Hi Kieth,

Welcome to the best article directory on the internet. I had fewer publisher pick ups than you have on 20 to 30 articles for my first 8 to 10 weeks. Then I was discovered by a few publishers and my pick up count went over 20 in one day. Now they average about 5 per article and it has been a steady monthly progression from 2 to 3 to 4 etc.

Same thing with views. As we offer readers more choices, they read more of our articles. For example one reader decides to read a second or 3rd article by the same author. In general, there is a link between the writer;s popularity and the ever increasing popularity of EzineArticles. If you tell everyone you know and everyone you don’t know about EzineArticles and what a wonderful public library it is, we all increas our popularity.

Comment provided May 24, 2006 at 8:39 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Hey Keith,

Sorry I misspelled your name last post. I’m firing my editor. :-) A few more thoughts on publishers. They have favorite writers as Chris mentioned about the RSS feeds. First they have to notice you. Not too easy when you are a small fish in a big pond. Then they have to read several of your articles to see how consistent you are. Then they decide to keep an eye on you for fresh content. They are also going through a process. They might visit a half dozen article directories because we aren;t all here at EzineArticles – yet. They have only so much time for their searches and reading. So once a publisher likes you, they’ll check on you from time to time but won’t likely feature you in each of their publications. I think they all keep article slush funds. If they don’t have time to go looking for weeks or months, they publish from their unpublished archive.

Only a search engine will give you an idea of your off site popularity. I found a directory where the operator was taking most of his content from other directories. They only had one of my articles there. I visited and found they had few contributing members. I submitted a lot of articles and now practically own the home page. Someone else will take some of those for their brand new directory and the process can go on forever.

Comment provided May 24, 2006 at 9:01 AM

Keith, I think of online article writing more like a marathon than a sprint. It is basically the Tour de France of the Internet. And with 31170 plus Ezine Publisher pulls, I can say that my articles are all over the place and even though I have 1.5 million article views here, I bet I have 50 million article views total considering all the other pick-ups from all the other sites out there. As far as traffic is concerned, well it is MEGA. Hang tough and set a good solid pace, be efficient, dedicated and never ever give up. It works and you’ll see.

Comment provided May 24, 2006 at 7:23 PM

Keith Renninson writes:

Wow, I didn’t expect to have my questions become a topic of discussion on the Ezine Blog, but I found it very refreshing and educational none the less.

Thank you all Lance Ed, and Chris for your comments and suggestions. I’ll just keep writing, posting and see where it goes. This is a brand new adventure for me and I’m enjoying the ride much more now that I know there are other authors here with great advice and experience.

Comment provided May 24, 2006 at 9:47 PM

Being a small publisher, I also use free articles, but as far as I can tell you, I don’t have a favourite writer. I keep quite a clear picture in my mind which kind of articles I want and which ideas I want to present in my site, and I just scan directories to find those articles I need. It doesn’t matter to me who wrote them, I just want the “substance”.

I tried to watch a few authors which I published in the past, but it doesn’t work for me – most of the stuff they write is not suitable for my site. So I prefer to watch the whole niche, not authors.

Comment provided May 25, 2006 at 4:59 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Hey Keith,

You are most welcome to whatever encouragement we can provide. I knew you got it by your choice of the word adventure. You will find there is little here at EzineArticles that word does not fit perfectly. In a few weeks or months, you will have powerful urges to share your adventures with newbies and the rest of us. Give in to those urges. You will be glad you did. :-)

The comment by Improve Your Mind was very interesting and informative. He/she confirms some of my suspicions and refutes others, as to his/her search habits. But my point in a different post about publishers missing the boat by not allowing authors to see their requirements was certainly reinforced. If someone was using many of my articles, I might be inclined to write an exclusive now and then. But since publishers can’t be bothered to show me what they want, or say thanks for the use of your article, let them spend hours scanning directories for just the right stuff.

Comment provided May 25, 2006 at 10:29 AM

If you articles are interesting, informative, and persuasive, they will get picked up faster than those that are spammy, poorly written, or just plain boring.

When I find a very good article, especially one that deals with recipes, wine, or food service, I take that article and post it to my corporate flight attendant site. The best articles stay there permanently and are viewed by hundreds of people per month. Remember, I am only talking about one site.

So, if the quality is there, then people like me who appreciate helpful, informative, and persuasive articles will take your articles and post them on sites such as mine:

Best wishes to you with your writing endeavors.

Matt Keegan

Comment provided May 25, 2006 at 1:35 PM

Keith Renninson writes:

Thanks for your insight, now if only I wrote on food topics! Oh well, maybe I can come up with a recipe or two someday…I’m a pretty much burgers and fries guy.

Now, if you want some modern day philosophy, children’s books or exercise information I might be your author.

Your job sounds very interesting and I like your website, very clean and concise.

Thanks again,

Comment provided May 25, 2006 at 8:34 PM

Jennifer Carter writes:

Hiya Keith,

I know that I’ve got more of a feel for things as I’ve written more articles. I’ve also just printed out Chris’s Article Marketing & Copywrighting Secrets to further improve the take-up of my articles.

The advice about thinking bigger and seeing it as a numbers game is a good one, particulary if you review all of Chris’s information on what makes a good article!

All the best,