Article Comments Kick

Earlier this week, I mentioned how you can get more traffic via one-way links by adding comments to any of the more than 100k+ articles in our site. You may have been one of the several hundred this past week that added a comment to an article to test our new system that makes it easier to add a comment.

What we didn’t count on is some of the confusion when an author doesn’t like one of the comments placed on their article. Currently, only our editorial team can approve, reject or remove comments… but that will be changing shortly as we’re working on giving each author the ability to remove any comment at any time that they don’t like.

I liked reading this blog entry from InternetMarketingFool where they said, “Manual spammers might be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of obtaining high PR backlinks just by expressing an opinion on someone elses work, but there is still a review team to moderate comments so those backlinks are still going to have to be earnt. Unlike articles, the comments won’t be syndicated so for a variety of links it’s still going to be worthwhile submitting those articles.”

Bottom line: Authors trump Article Commentors. We’re a business site and as such, can you imagine how your competitor feels when you post a comment on one of their articles promoting your competing service?

Now, I know many authors don’t care if a competitor posts on one of their articles. It actually is a sign of strength I think that they are watching or following you, but for the authors who don’t like competitors posting comments…our policy will be to please the author first. If they don’t like a comment, it will be gone and soon, they will have full control over DELETING any article comment (but they will never be able to edit one).

Your thoughts on this issue?

Charles Read writes:

Mr. Knight:

I sent you an email yesterday concerning this. I thought the comments were a great idea. However one of mine was I guess one on the first ones deleted. It was on a subject where I am a recognized expert. I have over 35 years of experience. I lecture on the subject and I have multiple companies operating in the industry.

I add some appropriate comments to a rather poorly written self-serving article. I did not tout my companies but expressed some industry standard items that the author had either ignored, did not know about, or did not care to include. Your editors approved the comments and posted them.

The author objected in your Forums and apparently helped precipitate this addition to the comment policy.
I will probably not bother to add value again to any of your authors’ work if they can reject the comments on a whim regardless of how the appropriate the comments may be. My suggestion would be to drop the whole comment concept if all your going to accept is flattery and puffery.

Charles Read

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 8:43 AM

Laura Goodwin writes:

Guess I see both sides of the coin. On the one hand, if someone is publishing something really problematic, or promoting a really problematic product, one would hope the objecting comments would stick. On the other hand, your business is based upon authors willingness to submit articles. I sure wouldn’t want someone just dropping in to one of my articles and ridiculing my point of view!

So I guess the solution would be if someone has an objecting comment kicked by an author, they can write a whole article about the objection and submit it. More articles, and much less chance of spam or abusive commenting.

Okay, seems like your system could work really well. I’m enjoying commenting on articles, actually. For one, I get to read articles that interest me by different experts. Sometimes I decide to publish the article on my site (credited as per Pulisher TOS), if it’s really good. I also search the site by keywords I’m interested in. If there’s no article that ranks high for those keywords, I note it down as an article idea for myself!

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 8:50 AM

More than 2 months ago I put on my whiteboard that I wanted our authors to be able to delete any article comment at any time. Our recently expanded development team is currently adding that feature for our next release of the authors membership interface.

I think you’ll find a great many of our authors have a different opinion than this author in question and that many authors allow respectful disagreements.

I did read your article comment and I did think it was an excellent post. The author did not like it. As a policy, we bias to the authors needs…

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 8:56 AM

Michael Russell writes:

ok – trying again – typed a long response – saved – it said the code was wrong and to hit the back button – everything I typed was gone!

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 9:13 AM

Jeanette Fisher writes:

Authors may not want to delete negative comments.

I got more traffic from the one anonymous attack against me than all the other comments on my articles combined.

Chris – How many visitors actually read the comments?

Jeanette Fisher

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 9:26 AM

Unknown, but I’m sure we’ll be tracking those stats soon enough.

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 10:24 AM

I also got the “invalid” security code, press the back button and lost my post. ;-( Most disappointing.

My eyesite isn’t the best and I’m constantly running into this problem but have never seen a case of losing what I’d input.

My comment was that I agree with Charles above. If comments are accepted by then they should be left. Giving writer the ability to simply delete comments they don’t like is a bit silly, IMO. It could heat up some debate for the many short blog-like posts that are pretending to be articles for instance.

(this time I’m cutting and pasting my comment, just in case)

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 11:50 AM

Michael & Kathryn,

Thanks for the feedback. I put in the queue to find a way to save comments if you enter the CAPTCHA wrong.

I agree… that’s frustrating.

Watch for a fix on this later this month.

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 12:07 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

I think authors should have ability to delete comments and here’s why… this is a commercial site!

I submit articles in the hopes that someone will click through and visit my website and yes – buy something in the end.

Let’s not pretend that most of us here submit articles where the priority is to educate the public. While this is a consideration, it’s probably not the primary one.

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 12:14 PM

Bill Kruse writes:

Comments passed by an unbiased site review team should be allowed to stand whether authors like them or not. If authors don’t like them, they have the right of reply by further comment. If authors are so delicate that they can’t stand the heat of a little ctiticism or disagreement, they should stay out of the kitchen. Let them get their links some other way.

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 12:34 PM

Frank Eshelman writes:

My article was spammed by a zillion nonsense links and I have no way to get them off. That really bothers me and I still don’t see any way to get them off.

Dina writes:

I agree with Edward Weiss. The author is in control of his own content here. He has the power to add, edit or delete any of the articles in his personal account. As part of the incentive to write more articles, the author should also have the power to delete comments if he so chooses. Losing control of that feature risks losing the article author to potential bad publicity.

Leave it up to the author, and yes, it’s okay to let an opposing viewpoint live in harmony on the same page as your article.

PS – in the case of accidental post deletion – the last thing you should do before you submit your comment is click on CONTROL-A and CONTROL-C to copy all the text in your comment box. Then, if you do lose it, you can just start a new comment and do a CONTROL-V to paste the saved text in the second time.

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 1:06 PM

Bill Kruse writes:

More to the point, and aside from any aspects of free speech, many authors, given the opportunity, would be deleting all comments made in response to their articles by their commercial competition, not from any fear or resentment of criticism but purely to gain commercial advantage.
If things are left as they are with both original articles and original comments having to be judged worthy of publication by an impartial panel whose sole aim is the creation of a valuable information resource site, clearly the interests of all parties are thus best served.

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 3:17 PM

Controversy sells and attracts, something to do with the innate characteristics of the species. I feel that when I write a politically charged or attacking article and someone has a legitimate counter argument, then go for it. But when the comment attacks my personal character or intelligence, I find those comments unworthy and therefore prefer no comments. I have read other articles I have liked very much and commented and those I do not like or actually know in fact that the author is a moron, I simply do nothing, as if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything. Consider this.

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 3:18 PM

Bill, makes another good point, I have had those who feel they are in commercial competition with me, I am retired actually. But they will attack an article or two with negative comments and then rate all the rest with one stars. I know it is them as they do it the same day and with many articles. I think that is pretty Chicken Waste’ish indeed. And therefore I believe Bill is very correct. Some people cannot handle competition and those who cannot achieve find ways to cheat or attack their competitors rather than focusing on their customers. Luckily the way to slame these folks back if you feel a tinge of revenge is to write 20 more articles using that raw emotion while its still hot to drive you to do it. Then you can drown out the naysayers, weak minded people and those who do not have the dedication, perserverance or committment to compete and go beyond what many believe is even possible. Press on authors, screw the detractors. Personally I love to leave them in dust along side the runway with a plastic folk and paper plate; See Ya! Afterburners blazing and unlimited take off to flight level 55,555. Winning and/or success is the best revenge, but play your own game and be the one to set the pace, as this is your life, your work and by God your race. Go get em’ team. Play to win.

Comment provided May 5, 2006 at 3:26 PM

Bill Kruse writes:

All of which ignores the practical aspects. Are Commenters to be advised when their comments are removed? What’s to stop them promptly reinstating them? Is the site going to keep a database of deleted comments for comparison purposes that all new comments are to be checked against? What would be the administrative costs and difficulties involved? Suppose this were indeed feasible? Could not a few words, or a line, or a phrase or two, be altered in any comment and then that comment reinstated? Where would you draw the line in such circumstances?

Comment provided May 6, 2006 at 3:27 AM

Programmer #1 writes:

To Bill,

Authors have always have had the option to request a comment to be removed. As far as i’m aware of, someone reposting the comment has never really been a problem. If the commenter was actually informed of the removal, then it would likely become more of a problem. By allowing the users to delete their own, this reduces administration time.

COULD I keep track of duplicate comments? Yes, I could. Would changing a few words fool my content matching system? No, it wouldn’t. But since it is not an issue, there is no need. And even if one person out there was persistant and kept reposting something.. Well.. The author can keep deleting =p

Programmer #1

Comment provided May 6, 2006 at 12:02 PM

Charles Read writes:

Back to my original point. If the comments go away at the whim of the author, which is fine this is a owned not public site, I just choose not to spend time, energy and effort writing comments that are thoughtful and appropriate.

I personally think the policy of allowing deletions is counterproductive to the value of the site to non-authors, but again I could start my own article directory site.

Chris, one thing, in your blast email where I saw the concept of posting comments there was no mention of deletion, just the fact that you could get a link from a comment post. That was slightly misleading.

Comment provided May 7, 2006 at 8:35 AM

You won’t like my response… but your issue is a highly rare occurance. Really. Out of 389 comments left for articles since May 1st, yours and one other were the only two that an author wanted to remove.

You dipped your toes in the article comment waters and got your head bit off. It’s not fair. I hear ya. It’s also not the norm. I bet you could leave another 200 article comments and have less than 20 be rejected (if that) leaving you with 180 comments accepted…but I can’t guarantee anything other than our authors come first before the needs of any article commentor.

I didn’t see the need to disclose that in the future we would be giving the authors an ability to delete article comments because it is a rare occurence (less than a fraction of 1%)) when an author wants to reject an article comment.

Comment provided May 7, 2006 at 9:43 AM

Personally I do not like the comments. Although most of mine are fairly nice ones. I do not wish to hear from anyone on the subjects I have written. You see I either have a strong opinion or I am so knowledgable in a subject, I do not want to hear from those who speak before they understand. I also do not like the “star” system, as often someone will rate an article due to their political beliefs, religious beliefs or grading me for grammar. You see, this is just silly human petty crap. I want the whole thing turned off really on my articles.

Who cares how many comments someone has or what a “human” thinks of my articles. Because MOST humans have turned off their minds and surrendered them to the mass media hysteria of the TV, so I am pretty unconcerned where they get off judging my articles really. That is the reality you know. To each his own, but I am tired of the average reader telling who has not read a book since HS, never done anything in their life, lives in mediocrity and complains about everything. I simply do not care what they think or what they consider they are doing when they think they are thinking? This opinion is from observations or humans and Internet Slander, fake and bogus comments and weak minded peanut galleries.

Too harsh? Too negative? It is the reality on many of the article comments. Not to mention those who have an axe to grind. I want all my comments and star erased, I do not want anyone to have the option. If they do not like the article, write their own then maybe they can then see my point.

Really I am not a negative person, but after writing some 5555 articles and that is a lot of work, I really do not feel I should have to put up with negative folks commenting or demeaning my character. That’s just BS. Who needs it? Who does it serve? Interactive-ness on a website is good, but the detractors, anysayers, competitors who cannot achieve and the complainers of the world are holding back the human race. Personally I want no part of such Sub-humans. For those who post nice comments, well I gues we are the ones hurt in this, but I find the negative comments not here but on other sites which pick up these articles are 35% or more really. Some are just stupid little comments. Like; “you are a moron” etc. But indeed only a moron would post such a thing.

Comment provided May 7, 2006 at 5:23 PM

Bill Kruse writes:

How come he can say “crap” but I can’t mention the sci-fi movie called Tron? That’s a T, then an R, then an O, then an N. Tron. Seminal sci-fi movie. Hardly what you’d call crap. Yet Lance can say crap and it doesn’t get censored but I can’t say Tron!
Why not?

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 2:33 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Sure glad I waited to post on this one. Lot’s of fiery dialog no? I love the opportunity to comment , say hello, introduce myself to a fellow author. I understand there is no improvement possible for perfection but am imperfect enough that I’d like to know whether I even move a reader to a comment of any nature. When I recently began posting them, I saw them as private communications like Emails the author would read in her/his member area. Now I see they are public and I enjoy reading them as much as these blog posts. Hence, I like the option an author will have to delete. The author can at least read a comment, determine its value for future writing and decide whether to leave the post. I think this serves everyone’s best interests and allows us to build a better sense of community on a very special website. As a concession to Lance I will no longer leave comments on or read his articles since alternate points of view are clearly not welcome and of no possible value to a star writer. Consider this in 2006.

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 9:47 AM

Jennifer A. Thieme writes:

To me, comments should only be about the article itself. They should not significantly add to the article. If one feels the need to write a comment that would significantly add to an article, then perhaps one should write one’s own article.

Similiarly, if one does not have anything to say about an article, then perhaps one should not comment at all. Only adding to an article, without commenting on the original article or even leaving a rating, coupled with leaving one’s business link, is spamming in my mind.

Even though comments may be left, this site is not a blog site, it is a commercial site, as Edward pointed out. Hence, commentors need to be more careful about the comments they leave here than if they were leaving comments on a blog. Also, perhaps it would be best to leave a link to one’s bio page here at EzineArticles, rather than leaving a link to one’s business site, especially if one is commenting on a competitor’s article. This avoids the appearance of spamming.

If one finds that one’s comment has been deleted, then no offense should be taken. One’s comment may be deleted for a legitimate reason, or not. Either way, it is not a reflection on the commentor, but only a reflection on the person requesting the deletion. The person requesting the deletion has reasons that we may or may not agree with or understand. Again, if one’s comment is truly valuable, then perhaps one’s own article may be written from it. This is the legitimate way to promote one’s site. If one finds that one is spending much time and effort composing a comment, this is an indication that perhaps the comment is really better suited as an article.

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 11:35 AM

One thing this discussion has proven to us is that we will never include ARTICLE COMMENTS on the same page as the article (like blogs do) because we are an article distribution/syndication site and we don’t allow article comments to be syndicated beyond personal use.

Thanks to everyone who commented on this entry. :-)

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 11:54 AM

With thousands of authors on this site, it is clear that you will never be able to please anyone. and every single post here has great points.

In the end, no matter which way you go with the commenting policies and rankings, they will never be a reliable guage to the quality of an article.

For one thing, friends will go and drive rankings up while enemies and competitors will attempt to drive them down.

Given all it’s flaws, and the fact that it was intended to be a way to help publishers guage the quality of an article, and it’s quite clear that comments and rankings are not a true measure of the quality of the article, what is the real point of putting so much of your time and effort into even having a commenting system?

Just wondering.

And by the way, I love this site!

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 1:18 PM

OOPS – I meant to say above that you won’t be able to please “everyone”

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 1:19 PM

Jeanette Fisher writes:

You invited us to submit comments.

After reading this blog, I feel like I’ll be spamming my business link if I do.

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 1:47 PM

Fran Watson writes:

My thoughts as I was reading this were, perhaps there could be a notation from the author stating “comments welcome” or “don’t bother” for those who don’t appreciate comments, or maybe a “come to my website and place a comment in my guestbook”. Those who don’t want comments could just not have a guestbook…LOL

I do agreee that most of us who write articles do so in order to promote our own business, so when someone comments and leaves their website or address it can take people away. Hmmmm, maybe people could just comment with initials and/or their website information could be deleted? At least that would force other people to do a google search in order to find them and most won’t. It wouldn’t distract much from the original article.

Fran Watson

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 2:55 PM

carl peterson writes:

Controversy sells. War is our most popular pastime. Why take away our war toys, when they are the only reasons kids come over to play? The first reason someone would comment on an article is that it is a subject that interests them. You’ve interested someone. Hurrah! The second is different. You’ve either gained their approval or disapproval. Either way, you’ve gained. You’ve learned a little more about your audience, and your prospective customer. And when they disapprove, you learn why they disapprove. That’s powerful. You learn why that person didn’t buy. Then you have the opportunity to change your message, or your product. And it gives others a deeper perspective on what you product is and what it isn’t.

Christopher, your site will flourish only if the article quality keeps improving. A whole bunch of hogwash doesn’t sell. One excellent article, able to intelligently withstand the onslaught of hate, ignorance, and jealousy, will do more good to your ezine busines than pleasing 100 arrogant asses who simply love the sound of their own farts.

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

I like constructive criticism regarding anything I write. There is always room to grow as a writer and as a person.

Being an expert in anything still leaves room for growth. Continuing to learn is what keeps me alive and kicking!

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 3:59 PM

The behavior on the Internet of the average human is so low and often so attacking and opinionated that it does not serve mankind well. Just read the Blogs or Forums on the Internet sometime. However yes it does drive traffic thru the acoustics and flames signifying nothing. If problematic scoundrels wish to attack an author or make nasty comments they will. The quality of the article is irrelevant to the commenters bad attitude. And if the author is writing on controversial subjects they will get more negative comments from those who are incited. If the site allows negative comments then that will turn away authors and effectively become PC police, so everyone writes really nice pleasant articles which do not offend anyone. This is not so great and it effectively is a ‚¬“Free Speech‚¬ inhibitor. I don’t like it.

Comment provided May 8, 2006 at 7:22 PM

Chris Knight writes:

TRON has been removed from our article comments blocklist. I have no idea how that got added in there. I think a long while ago we added a list of international swear words to keep the article comments clean…and TRON was listed in that list. It’s been removed as I think it was clearly a mistake. Sorry about that.

Comment provided May 9, 2006 at 9:52 AM

Ed Howes writes:

I thank Pamela and Paul for more thoroughly explaining this wonderful opportunity than I have articuled. Perhaps I was assuming it was as apparent to others, when a better case needed to be made. I do appreciate the help in corrcting my oversight and had to say so, which is why I comment. I certainly want to connect with like minded writers without going to every web site, looking for an Email address to leave a few sentences.

I have no problem with any author deleting any comment I leave. I made it because I thought it would help, or because we seem to be of like mind and might benefit from off site correspondence. I am ever grateful for the opportunity whether others like it or not.

Comment provided May 9, 2006 at 11:40 AM

Ed Howes writes:

I just re read all the posts on this topic and had to comment on Ariane’s remark: “By the way, I really love this site!” I intuitively feel more and more members are having such feelings, which means staff is doing far more than they are likely receiving credit for. I try to rectify that with an occassional article about how incredibly special EzineArticles is. Now I’m excited about new possibilities for loving fellow members, adding community to service and product. I do not care if 99% of the members only see this as a content dump site/promotional tool (white lie), a few of us are going to have a great time together. I wrote an article about cybersex. Perhaps it’s time to write one on cyberlove, or how to love a web site. :-)

Comment provided May 9, 2006 at 12:33 PM

Pamela Beers writes:

Glad to read your comments, Ed. People always write better and are generally more productive if they have a positive attitude. Writers need to help one another by staying positive. So-o-o, let’s remain collegial, as we continue to critique other articles, with the idea of helping others become better writers.

Comment provided May 9, 2006 at 1:13 PM

carl peterson writes:

Why is EzineArticles not like book publishing? The only way to sell books is to get media attention. This is usually done by getting editors somewhere to review the book. So why is a comment review so scary? The whole site is downvalued if articles cannot be peer reviewed and commented on. What better way to upvalue your piece, than to get others to “review” and cast judgement on it. The guys that seem to like the sound of their own voice are the ones that usually complain about content review. Because often, there simply isn’t any content. And 90% of the articles on this site and others are simply horseshit masquerading as expertise. How about a little honesty and quality imput. Criticism works!

Comment provided May 9, 2006 at 3:53 PM

jim writes:

Freedom of speech… so someone who doesn’t agree with the author can have his views/comments deleted… doesn’t sound right to me….

Let people read what opposition there maybe – criticism works

Comment provided May 11, 2006 at 4:18 PM

Chala writes:

i like comments it is very advantageous for both the writer and the one who post comments.

i dont care if the comment is used to promote some product or site to gain rank as long as it is related to the topic.

since the ezine team handles the comment then i give them its fine with me.

more comments makes blogs alive..

Comment provided February 13, 2007 at 9:04 PM