Value of Fresh Content

Evergreen Content Cool, Fresh Original Article Content = Even More Valuable

Many authors/writers/experts write ‘evergreen’ content that will be fresh today and for many years or decades to come… But, let me make the case for why you should consider creating/submitting fresh original content on a consistent weekly basis throughout the year: The article freshness factor

Old evergreen content has value, but the reality and human nature is that we are always seeking out new answers (even to the same old problems)… and the sites with the freshest content will attract the most traffic and attention.

If you look at the way EzineArticles is created, your article goes through a flow that completely gives new articles a visibility advantage over articles deep within the database from yesteryear. This process serves many purposes and often leads an author to ask this question:

Should I space out my 52 articles one per week over the next year to see what happens or should I dump them all at once?

Since we’ve already covered this in previous blog discussions, the answer is that you will clearly get more traffic between now and the end of one year if you dump all 52 articles at once than if you held them back one per week over the next 12 months.

An ideal article campaign would be one where you do the ‘big dump’ and submit all of your quality original articles that you’ve made available for syndication/distribution immediately and then setup a plan to submit fresh content weekly, bi-weekly or at least monthly in order to hook the advantage of the way our site rewards fresh articles with increased visibility for about a 3-21 day period.

YES, I’m encouraging you to do BOTH: Submit everything you have now AND submit new fresh content weekly. The quantiy of quality fresh original articles that you have or can create is not finite. The natural order of life is abundance and therefore I know there are literally tens of thousands of quality original articles just waiting to ooooze out of every single expert author on our site and those who have not discovered this cool community yet.

My theory on why fresh content submitted consistently will yield maximum results: Because you get the advantage of the traffic our site creates on its own without external help in the first 3-21 days of an articles life… and then further traffic to your article flipflops to coming from external sources (search engines, sites that feed from our RSS feeds, links from authors who send their audience to check out their articles, etc) as a primary source and us as a secondary source of that traffic.

You and we are in less control of the traffic your articles create after they’ve flowed through our system in the first 3 weeks, but you can MOVE the page view hit counter on your articles by streaming fresh original content on a very frequent basis. The EzineArticles expert authors with the most traffic know this truth and I hope you’ll test this for yourself to see if it can be true for you as well.

If you already know the value of fresh content submitted frequently, would you care to share what your experience has been?

D Kaminsky writes:

I find your information engaging; fresh, uniquely and extremely thorough, AND wise. Now, that’s an adjective I don’t hand out so freely! Thank you so very much. Sincerely. You are a head (and smiiling face!) above the pack; and I am very grateful for your generous sharing of knowledge.

Comment provided April 10, 2006 at 6:51 AM

If your system cannot resurface timely articles during seasonal events which are evergree then the AI backroom system is inadequate and it is unfortunate they you cannot solve or will not solve this problem. Because you have 10 times the number of Ezines as last year and they never had a chance to look at those articles. Additionally many are very difficult to find on your search feature. I think if I was running things I would work harder to fix this problem rather than making an excuse for an inferior system which did not address this issue. Seems a weekness to me. Weakness is Evil.

Comment provided April 11, 2006 at 3:56 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Amen to D Kaminsky’s comment. I have been watching My Article Reports with great interest the past few months; on a regular basis. My experience confirms Chris’ contention. Average daily view numbers spike for about one week after (multiple) new submissions. When the week is over thay drop to about the same level they were. Lance is beginning to sound like a weak little baby whiner. In every category one can look at the oldest articles first. I never do that, does Lance? Every thing I have published in the past 3 years keeps turning up on more websites because we all know that new directories and content fishers are automatically recycling our old stuff to new readers. So what if all that does not take place on Ezine article. The day is coming when content hunters will dig deep because they know quality has no expiration date. I often freak out when I read my older stuff to find it just as relevant today. I smile and pat myself on the back.

Comment provided April 23, 2006 at 10:30 PM

Aldian Prakoso writes:

For the great tips Chris! I wonder how can make our articles “evergreen” if we include statistic in our articles? Well, statistic usually quotes certain dates when samplings are taken.

Comment provided January 25, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Perhaps you could find a way to make your point without sharing a dated statistic.

I’d think more about what your reader is trying to learn from you…and can they learn it without you providing numerical social proof?

Comment provided January 25, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Actually, I have found that statistical data in itself can make an article Evergreen, because it is the data from a specific point in time, that someone might be interested in. Thus if you write;

“The US population reached 300 million people in in mid October, 2006.”

Then you have a data point that is searchable on the Internet so when someone searches 300 million or 2006 population in United States, they find your article?

Comment provided January 25, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Aldian Prakoso writes:

Hi Chris,

May be I could but since I just start writing articles and my name is not known, how can I build credibility without solid proof?

Hi Lance,

It may be true. But how many people are looking for that specific information?

Comment provided January 27, 2007 at 8:48 PM

Well, who knows how many people are looking for that specific information, but all who are will find you and if the kinds of people who are looking for that are indeed your target market you just found another way to find them. In fact in your article you might have 20 different things that you could say “how many people are looking for that specific information?” and if so, then you have 20 new ways besides the title, key words to find them and increase traffic. What do you think of my philosophy? Or my stats? – Lance

Comment provided January 27, 2007 at 9:12 PM

How does anyone get started in life without experience?

Get started, take massive action, seek to master your trade and write about it.

With every article, if your intention is to improve and create value, I assure you that you will find yourself well established in the coming years.

The worst thing you could do is ‘wait’ … so I recommend that you dive in and don’t look back. Take action this week. Write & submit those articles.

Comment provided January 29, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Colleen writes:

I agree w/ Lance. Ideally from the point of view of the contributor, a member should be able to write 50 or so REALLY TOP drawer evergreen articles and they would be so good they would just keep popping and the contributor could retire on the residuals. EzineArticles just wants us to bust our balls all day every day cranking out and repackaging our stuff. Why do WE have to do the work to make it new all the time. What if I just deleted all my old articles that fall to the bottom and resubmit them with slightly different title so they will be “new”? There should be some AI on their site that does that automatically for us. For example, taking 1 outline article and making it 20 (expansion of each point) why couldn’t I just do a mega article on that subject. The user finds the outline. The outline contains internal links to the expansions if they want them. They can also find the expansions directly if they search the keywords.

Comment provided November 6, 2008 at 3:27 PM

If you delete all of your articles and re-submit them, you’ll find that our system will reject them all the 2nd time around.

Our position is that deleting and re-submitting is “gaming the system” behavior because it leads to trust violations with our users. Think about it: You’re a reader/user of EzineArticles and you keep seeing the same content over and over again…until trust is broken… hence the ban on this behavior.

Comment provided November 6, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Colleen writes:

I keep seeing the same content over and over again anyway, just slightly reworded and different people write it. For example, there are a finite number of things you can do for SEO. So why should some johny come lately take a perfectly fine 6 mo. old article on SEO, steal all the content, paraphrase it in his own words but add absolutely nothing original, and now he’s the hottest new thing. That’s what you guys need to fix. I never really intended to delete and resubmit any articles but how is paraphrasing yourself or someone else 20 different ways any different.

Comment provided November 6, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Jonathan Huie writes:

Good writing is far more than “just the facts.” Presentation is everything. Don’t think of “paraphrasing,” think of writing an exciting fresh article that clothes the old bones of time-tested ideas in your own compelling style.

Comment provided November 7, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Heather writes:

Hi Chris,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us; its much appreciated!
I must say though, that I usually enjoy reading your blog posts when I have the time. They are well-written and easy to understand.
While reading this one, however, I actually questioned whether or not you wrote it, or had someone else write if for you. It was wordy, a bit confusing and you had a couple of typos.
I know you care what your readers think, so just thought I’d share.

Comment provided July 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Heather writes:

I just made a typo too – “if” should be “it”. Happens to the best of us, I guess. :)

Comment provided July 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I wrote it 2 years ago…

Yes, I’ve improved since then!

Comment provided July 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Heather writes:

That’s what I figured out after writing my response. I saw the dates – yes, you have greatly improved! It’s an encouragement to me. Just goes to show that practice does make (almost) perfect. :)

Comment provided July 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM

lovie writes:

I agree EzineArticles get your articles the traffic and page ranking as long as you frequently write fresh original content.

Thanks Chris

Comment provided July 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Sonny Dinger writes:

HI Chris,
Thank you for the wonderfull comments from these fine people,
it is very exciting listening to you guys, ya know ,it really is an adverture to make changes often in our work, thank you for
some very interesting thoughts,
keep up the good work , Chris

Comment provided July 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Don Richie writes:

Hi Chris,

It is always a pleasure and an eye opener to read your articles/posts on how to write articles! It is very enlightening and educational. It broadens my horizons. Keep up the good work.

Comment provided July 14, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Your blog posts are the standard to follow. It is always very helpful as far as understanding the ins and outs of article writing.

Comment provided July 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Thank you so much for the tip. Dump all the articles together and then submit a fresh one frequently. That is the way to go.

Comment provided March 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Greetings Chris,

I allways enjoy reading your articles. I have been
pursueing an evergreen article strategy that is tied
to the seasons.

I like to experiment with differant article marketing
strategies. I will pursue a combination strategy.
It is true that the 1st 3 wks after you submit an article is important for your traffic #.

Comment provided March 6, 2010 at 7:00 AM

This blog post from 2005 I hope will answer your question as to why there is a surge of initial traffic to each new article submission once they are published:

Why The Booster Rocket?

Maxine Thompson writes:

I agree that fresh content helps. Thanks for the tip!

Comment provided March 6, 2010 at 10:48 AM

EzineArticles provides me with consistent ‘targeted’ traffic from my article writing. Many times I check my analytics only to find that the majority of my visitors are directly from EzineArticle … and they are landing on the pages I want!

If I submit an article I know I am building credibility and also going to receive traffic.

So I have learned from EzineArticles that fresh content submitted regularly equals traffic, which in turn equals profit! Thank you for teaching us the right way to build targeted, loyal readers!

Comment provided March 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Mike writes:

I can’t remember one blog post that wasn’t invaluable. However, as I see it, we’re writing for two reasons. Firstly, to attain a good CTR. In effect, that’s how we’re paid.
Secondly, we’re writing to inform the reader. As Chris says, to start re-hashing old stuff is selling the reader short. I’m very glad to read that such material is thrown out.
Please keep the blogs coming, Chris, and thank you for them,
Best wishes,

Comment provided June 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Adwello writes:

The natural order of life is abundance – wow I really liked that from your post and this is indeed the key concept behind EzineArticles: year after year providing an evergreen resource for websites and blogs to gain fresh content on interesting subjects. Thankyou for managing this incredible resource online!

Comment provided June 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM