MySpace Social Experiment

MySpace had 23 billion page views in January 2006 (according to comScore MediaMetrix) from 35.6 million visitors (That’s 646 page views PER visitor/user). On EzineArticles alone, there are 1,640 mentions of the keyword “myspace” and dozens of articles written on the topic. According to an April Laptop magazine article, MySpace boasts more than 60+ million members with 250,000 new registrations daily. Over 80% of their members are 18 or over, so it’s not the teenybopper crowd as most think.

Steven Pam writes:

Hi Chris,

Interesting idea! I wonder how many taker you’ll get.

The link doesn’t seem to quite work (although I’m not sure what the right way to externally link to a friend invitation is).

Even when I’m already signed in to myspace, clicking on your link just takes me to a signup page.

Cheers,
Steven

Comment provided April 7, 2006 at 5:33 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Entered the fray eh? I also looked over Myspace trying to figure out a way to “market” to the masses. Gave up after seeing that it’s populated by twentysomethings and under – not exactly the market I’m after. But, I could be wrong:)

Comment provided April 7, 2006 at 6:25 PM

Sheryl Keyworth writes:

Sounds worth taking a look into Mr. Christopher. I’ve heard alot about this My Space. Not all good, not all bad.

Comment provided April 11, 2006 at 6:17 PM

Kathryn Martyn writes:

Hi Chris,

I too wondered if it’d be worth taking time at MySpace. I’ll put up some info and then we can be friends ;-) You’ll find me at http://www.myspace.com/onemorebite — what else?

Kathryn

Comment provided April 18, 2006 at 9:04 AM

Kathryn Martyn writes:

Oops! I just found out the hard way, MySpace won’t work well for a marketing vehicle for me–that is unless I banish my son from being my friend. Guess I should set up an account that he’s unaware of. He’s in college and well, sorta uses bad words. ;-( What can I say? He’s 19.

Kathryn

Comment provided April 18, 2006 at 9:08 AM

Ed Howes writes:

Which now reminds me, in spite of regular notices and invitations to network as a Myspace member I have totally neglected a resource I saw great potential in when I signed up and added a photo. Just don’t get around much any more. I imagine one must be very creative to attract attention there. Keep us posted on your personal observations, Chris. Maybe we should build an EzineArticles network on Myspace.

Comment provided April 23, 2006 at 10:43 PM

Clary Lopez writes:

I just wonder how to go around the people participating in MySpace who are just looking to get with others romantically. Some of them display pictures that are not tasteful if you know what I mean.

The potential for business according to the number of members is good, now the thing will be if some of them are there with an open mind towards it. For now I’ll look into more professional geared sites. Let us know how it works out for you.

Comment provided April 25, 2006 at 8:02 AM