Audio To Articles

On Friday, EzineArticles expert author Daniel Hall interviewed me for an audio special on his website that will be released within a week or so… and near the end of the interview we were talking about ways to generate articles without having to struggle (as many do).

As I was mentioning strategies to repurpose old content that was long forgotten, it sparked Daniel to ask and offer this nugget:
Wouldn’t it be easy to talk into a microphone for an hour or any time frame, then pay someone to transcribe the MP3 into a MS Word .doc…break the transcription into 350-500 word articles and you’d have an instant set of 5-20 articles to put into syndication. Just add title, keywords, a default resource box and submit.

A typical hour of audio costs about $40-$85 to transcribe and you’ll typically get about 12-24 pages of content from an hours worth of audio. If you figured 1 or 2 pages per article, that means it would only cost you about $3-$5 per article (in terms of production costs).

Can you imagine the time savings from this strategy? One hour of audio transcribed, plus editing time after your transcription person transcribes it for you would result in about 10 syndicatable articles out of about 2 hours of your time or an article EVERY 12 minutes!

Read that again: Yes you can create a quality original content article every 12 minutes for only a few dollars of paying someone else to transcribe your audio recording.

What do you think of this audio to articles strategy?

Bernardo writes:

Who can do this service for me?

Comment provided April 23, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Ed Howes writes:

This is interesting speculation. I would try it myself first. That is, do an audio recording with any convenient recorder on any subject of my choosing. I don’t think I’d trust just any transcriber to find the articles in an hour of audio. The value I do see in the idea is that audio is excellent for stream-of-consciousness writing. The spoken word and written word are often quite different for most people. Our best public speakers usually write out what they want to say before giving their talk to make it concise, or hard hitting, or humorous and to make sure it complies with time restraints. I’m sure many speakers go through multiple written drafts before they give a presentation.

On the other hand, wouldn’t an audio article directory be a great tool for those of us who would love to read our articles to the blind, the visually impaired, or people on the go? Audio indexes would allow one to pause and select from ant list of titles and authors in any category. Portable information. Load your Ipod and hit the road.

Comment provided April 23, 2006 at 1:04 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Ed, your idea for an audio article directory is excellent! In fact, it’s so good, I may do it for some of my articles. With most everyone owning an ipod nowadays, it would be eays to download small 1-3 MB audio articles.

In fact, if I owned this site, I would include an audio section as well!

Comment provided April 23, 2006 at 1:51 PM

Dina Giolitto writes:

There is a publisher out there who is doing this very thing with books right now.

I recently reviewed a book that was created from audio using over fifty quotes from various experts that were transcribed and incorporated into the text. I noticed immediately that the book seemed to completely lack the logical argument and natural progression that every *good* book has. Although the situation is slightly different because we’re talking about articles in this case, I still see some parallels. To create a good solid chunk of audio that teaches something and seems cohesive and organized, you’d have to write it down first and then read it out loud, I would think. Being a visual more than auditory person, I have a lot of trouble imagining that anyone can just “speak” an article – but who knows, maybe it can be done? Don’t public speakers typically start with notes; and if you’re going to write notes, why not just send the NOTES and have THOSE made into articles, saving yourself the time of paying someone to listen to the audio and the challenge of the writer trying to weed out the best parts? :)

Comment provided April 23, 2006 at 5:17 PM

Esmerelda Jones writes:

Ed Howes and Edward Weiss said it: EzineArticles needs to offer authors the choice of uploading audio articles (you can do this at Author’s Den). I would also like a syndicated columnist link so readers could subscribe at my website thus receiving my EzineArticles instantly (Idea Marketers has this feature). While EzineArticles is the top place for writers, extra features would be welcomed.

Comment provided April 23, 2006 at 8:07 PM

Cathy Stucker writes:

A related way to do this is to have someone interview you then transcribe the recording. You can use the Q&A format in the article, or edit the transcription into another format. When you respond to questions from someone else, it may take you into areas you would not have covered on your own.

Comment provided April 23, 2006 at 9:10 PM

Ed Howes writes:

Man I love this dialog! Edward, your response is exciting to me. If you try this, please let us know the response you get. Dina, Thanks for sharing the book experience. We are a bit off the topic of the original post though. I;m not talking about saving any time at all. I’m talking about supplemental distribution and exclusive web site features to create traffic on the most progressive web sites. Speaking an article would be the same quality as slap dash written articles. If you have ever had your own work read to you by a friend, you will notice the lack of emphasis on critical points that were in your head when you wrote the piece. Here is the advantage of spending the time to read your own work. You know what it was meant to sound like out loud, and only you know.

Esmerelda, Thanks for the info that Aythor;s Den is already offering audio. It;s one more place Edward could try in addition to his own site for the purpose of comparison – directory vs homesite. I think yo should tell Author;s den what you just told us. You could get exactly what you want.

Cathy, Interviews are a great Idea. I have made up a few “A Chat With Osama” and “A Chat with Saddam” I had more fun writing them than anything else I’ve writte. It reall stimultes the imagination and the creative juices. Just imagine the interviews you would like to do and imagine the result. It;s a great writing device and I;m going to do more of it. Maybe a “Chat With George Bush or Christopher Knight. :-) Now, using a close friend or someone on the same wavelength to play the role of the person interviewed would produce a whole different result than if the writer plays both parts. Do it both ways and pick the one you like best.

Comment provided April 24, 2006 at 2:41 PM

Bryan Thompson writes:

I’ve used this method before for articles but have found that at least for myself, it is very ineffective. In fact, all the articles that I wrote with this I ended up discarding or completely re-working. I find it almost impossible to write good, persuasive content from speaking it and I suspect that many other people are the same way. However, a very interesting idea that could work for some.

Comment provided April 24, 2006 at 4:07 PM

I use audio or Speech to Text generally to help me write my articles. About half of each article is now done this way. And about 15% of my totaly articles have Audio Assist.

I have written much of my operations manuals for my company this way and I must say Dina is right, you can do it, but it takes a hell of a lot of editing to make it work, so in the end you may not be saving as much time as you think. But, it does improve efficiency once you get good at using it. Think on all this, I recommend using it as an assist to help you with typing if you are a slower typer.

Comment provided May 1, 2006 at 4:49 PM

reinkefj writes:

About two years ago I pinched a never in my neck, after a couple of weeks of rest, treatment, and drugs, I was able to return to work. But my right hand for typing was useless; maybe good for five minutes. I got a copy of viavoice and was able to dictate as opposed to keyboard. It’s fraught with difficulties but it MIGHT be worth considering. With training, I was able to get 99+% accuracy on dictation (speak directly to software) and transcription (record voice and pipe it into software). It’s not for the timid or faint of heart but it can be done. The software will also read to you (i.e., as if you were blind) but it was a weird experience to be read to in your own voice. I did try to get this running for a doc who wanted to write a book and I am struggling with it. So to quote the knight in with the Holy Grail, “Choose wisely!”.

Comment provided May 4, 2006 at 6:29 PM