Top Articles By Category

It’s New Feature Friday:

Over the past week, we introduced a new feature that displays the most popular articles by page views for that particular category. This rewards those who have done well to get a disproporionate amount of more traffic to their articles.

Here’s how it works: Let’s take this brand new article by Quentin Brown: Create your own Streaming Audio Studio for Under $50.00. Scroll down to the bottom of his article where we list recent EzineArticles from the same category as this article. Immediately below that, you will see the most viewed or most popular articles in the Audio-Streaming category…which at the time of this ezine, it’s this article: MP3 vs. WMA by Bradley James.

I’m not certain we’re going to leave this feature up all year, but for at least another month we will test it to see if it provides value for our users.

Do you see how you can use this information for your niche?

By being able to view the most popular articles for each category, you can now get some insight into the topics and keywords that are in the highest demand… allowing you to crank out your own articles that compete with the current leaders of each category! Yes, it’s an article-eat-article world out there. ;-)

Incidentally, I was pleased to see Aussie Quentin Brown to sign up this past week because we currently license his MP3SoundStream software to do all of our MP3 to Shockwave conversions:

What To Do Now: Surf for your niche and take a peak as to who has the top articles in your categories of expertise:

Do you like this new feature? Why or why not? Is this useful?

chris writes:

Yes, it’s very helpful. I can see the types of article titles that bring in readers. I can also see where those articles come from and use those sites as potential contacts for getting my stuff in a sites newsletter or or linking.

Comment provided January 27, 2006 at 11:40 AM

Nicole Bandes writes:

At first glance this seems like a great program but when I look at the top articles in my categories (health & wellness topics), I quickly realize that is not where I want to be focusing my attention. The articles at the top are all “the latest hype” type articles in my opinion and just because they get read, doesn’t mean that I’m interested in those particular readers.

My articles tend to be less on what is “in” and more on what is worthy of being read. While I may loose readership because of this, I’d just really rather sacrifice readers instead of quality.

My 5.5 cents (inflation, you know).

Comment provided January 27, 2006 at 12:01 PM

A,J, Klott writes:

Unfortunately, it seems to reflect length of time rather than interest-at least in the category I am interested in.Plus, we don’t know if it has been artificially “fattened” up.

Comment provided January 27, 2006 at 12:10 PM

Jim Newton writes:

I noticed the top articles are older articles. The most viewed has a lot to do with age. The longer it’s been around the more likely it is to get viewed.
This is still informative, you just may need to put an age filter of some sort in.

Comment provided January 27, 2006 at 12:46 PM

Dina Giolitto writes:

Nicole, don’t worry about the “hype” articles. They help feed the search engines and keep this site on the top rung of Google while you attract real live humans.

I was surprised to find one of my articles had hit the top level of the Copywriting category and then it occurred to me why.

People must see my articles in the OTHER categories that I write to, and then click my author bio.

The FIRST article in my catalog begins with the words “11 Reasons.” (that’s why it’s first – begins with a number.)

So, everyone clicks on that first article, and it’s showing up high in the Copywriting Category because of that.

Comment provided January 27, 2006 at 12:55 PM

I agree with all commenters thus far. You all have made good points. Things I have observed myself. It is great that when we put all our minds together and discuss these things how much information we can put forth on a new innovation so quickly. This Blog is like a Think Tank really. I wanted to make a point and say I see my articles in so many categories, when clicking thru them all. Of course it is a numbers game. I see articles I have had up for a while (advantage) and new ones too, that I would not expect. We perhaps should break out some categories to further give advantages to worthy other information to serve the writers and the readers. Additionally as a number game goes. With 3838 articles and 990,000 article views total means the average article has 257 article views. The top being 17,000 and the bottom being “one” because I just posted it. It all seems to be a numbers game really. Therefore those are favored who write the most articles and write them most often and stick with it the longest. This is very interesting from a case study point.

Comment provided January 28, 2006 at 10:48 AM

I think it is more useful for me this way.

I like it.