One Hit Author Wonders

To give our users a better feel for whether or not they are reading an article from an author that is a “one hit author wonder” vs. an author that is blazing a monthly trail, month after month — our programming team came up with this idea:

Listing the:
EzineArticles Member Since:
Last Submission on…

Your thoughts? Where should this info be placed? In the article or expert author view? In the authors extended bio?

Edward Weiss writes:

I actually suggested the “ezine member since…” idea to Wally about 2 months ago. I would put this on the member login page – a nice little booster for authors when they sign in to check their stats or whatever.

As far as the other idea, I don’t see how knowing when the last time someone submitted an article would motivate article readers one way or the other.

Comment provided December 31, 2005 at 3:00 PM

DeAnna Spencer writes:

Um hmm. How do I want to answer that as an author or as a publisher? Well as a publisher I guess that would be a good way to gauge a person’s credibility. As an author I’m not sure I’d like that feature, because what if I want to take some time off? Do I have to call you guys and say hey, I’m just taking a vacation? I’ll get back to writing articles when I return? J/K Seriously that is a really good idea. I just think there should be some kind of a vacation indicator on there.

Just my two cents.

Comment provided December 31, 2005 at 4:11 PM

Perhaps this might be a thought, yet I see some authors such as Earl Nightengale with only a few articles, yet some may not know who this gentleman is or his significant contributions to the world. So, an author might be a one-shot wonder and his or her article might be an essay that they had been working on for years to get perfect. Considering every aspect of it. Then again by your concept they would have their date on it how long they have been posting for and with time their one article would show that they have withstood the test of time?

As far as those who blaze the trail, sometimes there is no trail, so you have to create one. I would like to see that there be an extra kudos on the authors page for those who have achieved 100 articles, because that was a huge barrier for me personally and one for 300 too, as I call that the ‚¬“Super Barrier‚¬ as it indeed, extremely difficult for a one-subject niche writer to overcome, as you run out of things to talk about. I propose that anyone who can get there deserves some mention on their authors page, some graphic to indicate an award (300 Club).

For those who get past 500, well you need to take your hat off to those who can achieve that, as it is impressive indeed. You know what about a little graphic along the side on their author’s page. You know like in real estate (10 million dollar club) gold embossed on their business cards? That is a lot of work, no matter how you cut it, trust me. I just hope someday I might be able to become a real author, so I can put that on my resume.

And also for those one shot wonder who have, just a few awesome articles, I know because I often read them, then go to their authors page to read more and find that the one I read was only one of three or four that they have. I give them their due, ‚¬“the five star‚¬ rating, I just wish they would write more you see? So, for those excellent writers, how about a graphic star, even if they have just one article, but it is so very good?

So those are my personal thoughts on this now that you have mentioned it. I like your teams ideas, just would recommend the graphic additions for those superstars you have on .

Comment provided December 31, 2005 at 5:03 PM

Roger Carr writes:

I don’t see any value this will provide except if you want to use it as a motivating tool for the author (see comment from Edward Weiss). The author is motivated by quantity for promotion. I think the publisher would be more concerned with the quality of the articles. Does it matter to the publisher how many articles an author submits in a month if the article is what the publisher believes his or her readers would appreciate?

Comment provided January 2, 2006 at 8:54 AM

This is a very difficult topic to come to the right conclusion for the directory. Any forum that has some sort of “ranking” sometimes encourages participants to comment on every little post. I guess it adds prestige but people with lots of low-quality articles should never be respected the same as people with many high-quality submissions.
But I am also a one-time wonderer who is still trying to get around to post my second submission who could use a little bit motivation.

Comment provided January 12, 2006 at 12:33 AM

David writes:

Great Idea!!!

Comment provided January 20, 2006 at 9:36 PM

If you’re considering incentives to encourage authors to write more then please ensure you promote quality and not just quantity.

Authors should be reminded that they’re not submitting articles for your badges, but to share their words and better quality writing will naturally get better distribution.

Comment provided January 21, 2006 at 7:41 AM