Thou Shalt Not SPLOG

SPLOGS is a term that means “SPAM BLOG.” Usually a SPLOG will be filled with automated nonsense content stolen or scraped from other sites. Usually they promote affiliate links or PPC advertisers until they get shut down for TOS abuse.

Any author listed on our site that gets reported or identified and investigated for splogging will lose their account. We do not want to associate with those who engage in SPLOGGING. The last thing we need on this planet is more SPLOGS — they are just as evil as email-based spamming.

Soni writes:

Got any advice for those of us who have been scraped? I’ve seen my stuff slapped onto a lot of splogs, but to be honest it seems that A) contacting them to take my content down simply invites further conversation with a splogger (and gives them my email addy) and B) is simply a more Augean task than I care to take on, given the sheer numbers. Got any tips?

Comment provided November 1, 2005 at 1:22 PM

I could not agree more, what is bad about these is they scrape our articles put them everywhere on junk BS websites, then we get penalized in the search engines when our same articles is everywhere, then no one reads them. Most surfers who hit these sites click out and leave and are mad. This destroys the Internet and the Internet surfing experience as humans like to track and hunt down information it makes them feel good and also the discovery of information or ironic information makes their N400 brainwave activate. But when they hit a “junk website” that is what I call them, then tye are skeptical of the entire Internet and that hurts everyone including the forward progression of information sharing and the human race.

I enjoyed mention of this in Dina’s special compilation of Article Writing brilliance and also say it was on some Ezine Web Email newsletters this week. The BBC made mention of this and Chris I know you have been critical of this situation and mentioned it before, besides it ties up servers and hogs bandwidth as they scrape and rip off the articles. I think it is unethical and absolute BS, when folks do this. Think on this.

Comment provided November 1, 2005 at 5:09 PM

Steph writes:

I have the same problem where my trademarked product has been scraped and put onto a site that’s set up to earn money from Google’s PPC advertisers. I contacted Google, GoDaddy, and the perpetrator with no luck. The perpetrator claims it is automated content that he has nothing to do with blaming it on MSN. Google says the perpetrator is the one who set the page up to scrape my content. Aaaahhhh! I definitely need a tip.

Comment provided November 1, 2005 at 5:52 PM

Dina writes:

People… I feel your pain. I have been thinking about this for the last two weeks and wondering if there isn’t something that can be done as a group.

Now, Chris runs this site but we can’t expect him to go chasing after every offender that rips off our content.

We know that the reason our content is being ripped off is because sploggers are using it to gain Adsense income.

If the company offering the adsense to the sploggers wasn’t providing that means to the splogger, then the splogger wouldn’t splog. Right?

So, what if I gathered a list of names of folks who are outraged that their articles are being scraped, and filed “polite” complaints with companies like Clickbank and Google (Adsense) telling them we’d like our faith restored in their companies and to please put a stop to these sploggers (i.e. cut off their account access) on behalf of the honest internet businesspeople?

Is this a nutty idea? Would it simply not work? Is it too rilesome? Chris, if you think I’m treading on troublesome ground here, don’t post this.

Dina

Comment provided November 2, 2005 at 7:47 AM

Chris Knight writes:

Dina, I think the issue is more complex than that.

In fact, in the last week, the majority of splogs that I saw with ripped content…wasn’t running AdSense at all.

I think Google is already doing a great job of shutting down sploggers who used adsense to monetize their activities as evidenced by the fact that sploggers often will do a series of clickbank affiliate links instead. Now if only clickbank could be pursuaded to take the same level of action… and I believe they already are taking action as a splog I visited yesterday that I clicked on the affiliate link provided an error response that the affiliate partner has been shut down.

If you are going to pick your battles, then do so with the splogs that don’t provide active links back in return for your article or worse, any splogs that don’t give you credit for your works.

Comment provided November 2, 2005 at 8:42 AM

Dina writes:

Chris,

What’s the purpose of splogging, then?

I wouldn’t have issue with this if my articles weren’t been mass-duped and jumbled with other people’s articles, but they are.

So, perhaps “starving” the splogs is the solution for me.

Dina

Comment provided November 2, 2005 at 11:15 AM

Randy writes:

Chris

I understand about SPLOGS and websites for that matter that use articles and don’t give credit with the resource box. That has and is happening to me also.

But it seems like a fine line between abuse and non-abuse, or maybe I am just not thinking clearly on this issue. Articles are posted here for the purpose of being picked up by other websites, newsletters etc. Is the abuse from those who don’t give credit and who overuse articles?

I probably am not very clear about what I am asking, but hopefully you can help me to clear up my misunderstanding of the issue.

Randy

Comment provided November 3, 2005 at 3:29 PM

Chris Knight writes:

Randy,

I do agree that this is not always a black and white case…

The way I determine if a blog is a splog or not, is whether the content on the blog is related to the topic of the blog or not.

If all of the articles are of the same topic or niche and all of the links are active with no author name credit fraud — then it’s a blog.

If the blog has nothing but a mash of content from every corner of the globe, then it’s a splog.

See this for more info:

Before splogs, another term for this phenom is “spamdexing” or the manipulation of search engine listings through a mash of content that is usually stolen. One of my non-syndicatable sites is often mashed up and stolen by spamdexers and all you can do is be vigilent, complain to the hosting providers who support the splogs or spamdexes.

Comment provided November 3, 2005 at 3:31 PM

Randy writes:

Chris,

Thanks, that cleared up my confusion on this issue.

Randy

Comment provided November 3, 2005 at 7:30 PM

Mike Shannon writes:

I don’t know about your last definition, Chris. It might be all right but most of these blogs I see are just articles from EzineArticle and nothing more…no orginial post or comments whatsoever. I do see author and site credit though so are these spam blogs? Dunno.

As for >>If anyone wants to go splog hunting, I would complain to the hosting provider of the splog FIRST.<<

Most of the sites I’ve seen are hosted by blogspot which is owned by Google. I don’t know how I feel. Some of my articles have appeared on a hunderd or so of these sites, giving my work author credit. However, I don’t want my site or EzineArticles.com to be penalized because of this.

Like several have said here….not really black and white.

Comment provided November 4, 2005 at 6:12 AM

Andy Beard writes:

I totally agree with Chris’s definition for splog.

A blog is just a CMS, sometimes they are very much simplified such as blogger.

I publish articles, as well as use articles for content sites and “niche blogs”. In many ways I would prefer someone to use a full article than an article feed with just a snippet.

I also feel this is much better than using a tool to rewrite a single article 1000 different times.

There is actually very little difference between a niche blog feeding articles and a niche category in an article directory.

The press would most likely claim a blog with articles is splog, and isn’t “blogging”, but then feeding content from AP isn’t real journalism.

Comment provided November 11, 2005 at 4:14 AM

saurab writes:

I guess most spammers that do stuff like create 100s of splogs on blogger.com and other places dont have time to create original content..One way of identifying such blogs is for genuine bloggers to use tools such as http://www.copyscape.com and report plagiarism to the search engines…. if a large number of people start doing this, it would at least keep all this content scraping in check…..

Comment provided December 6, 2005 at 1:42 AM