Puggle Article Dog

What the heck is a “PUGGLE”… I asked myself?

Somehow, this article that was submitted by Sara C on Nov 5th became our top incoming searched for keyword this month.

Apparantly a “Puggle” is a cross bread dog between a PUG and a BEAGLE.

Sam Basso writes:

You might wish to re-examine your praise for this new breed. Though I am all in favor of creating new breeds, this is going to be a new scenthound, and carry most of the traits of a beagle. Beagles are not for everyone, and neither are Puggles.

You can find the following at my dog blog, PoochMaster:

“Puggle: This breed is a combination of Pugs and Beagles. They are mainly being sold as a result of their unique looks and small size. I think this is a terrible combination of breeds. The dogs won’t be easy to own or train, will be especially difficult with small children (most likely very mouthy/ bitey), and might bring along health problems. I wouldn’t recommend getting such a dog. Both breeds are harder to house train, both are highly food oriented, neither are known to obey very well, and both have an excellent sense of smell. Thus, you’ve got yourself a new kind of scent hound, with unknown behavioral propensities, and being sold purely on looks and unique availability. Few people are suited to owning a scent hound. Unles you’d be comfortable owning a beagle or basset hound, I wouldn’t recommend getting a Puggle. You will probably tire of the dog and give it to a shelter… but not before you get so aggravated that you harm the pup in the process. Scent hounds can be great dogs, but they aren’t for everybody, especially people who aren’t patient to properly house train a small dog that won’t be very obedient. You can bet these dogs will become aggressive if they are treated roughly.”

Sam Basso
Professional Dog Trainer & Behaviorist

Comment provided November 17, 2005 at 6:37 AM

Keith writes:

My wife and I have a one year old puggle. Neither of us had any experience with training or owning dogs. It took a few months to train her to go outside when she needed to go to the bathroom. We kind of confused her by paper training her and then retraining her to go outside once she got the hang of the paper thing. She does like to sniff and I really can’t let her off the leash for a few reasons. First off, I never really taught her to heal or stay when we’re outside and ,second, she is very curious and like to run around sniffing everything. You’re on the money about being food oriented. She’s no fool, she’ll notice if you’re asking her to roll over or give her your paw and she doesn’t see a treat. She’ll obey you a few times and then just stares at you when she sees she’s not getting a reward. She not very mouthy with everyone other than myself or whoever else wants to wrestle with her. She loves to lick everyone. She’ll sit and lick you for several minutes if you let her. Our dog, Bella, loves to play and run around. For someone looking for a great companion lap dog combined with a dog that’s willing to roughhouse and play, then I think this is a good dog. Puggles, in my experience also don’t bark as much as other dogs. She tends to stare at other dogs and people rather than bark at them. The doorbell is one thing she always barks at though.

Comment provided November 22, 2005 at 11:55 AM

rebecca writes:

Hello –

I will be picking up my 2 male puggle puppies on December 14th. I am curious as to how everyone started there “potty” training. I have a fenced in yard so letting them out side wont be a problem. It’s in the house. I don’t want to lay paper down, does anyone have suggestions? Does anyone have any other tips regarding training puggle? I am very excited about there arrival. Any inforamtion would be greatly appreciated.

rebecca

Comment provided December 1, 2005 at 10:09 AM

Mandy writes:

Hi,
I have a 10 wk old toy puggle . She IS SO cute . Yeh i’m having a wee bit of trouble potty training her but it’s getting better now that we have tried enough different ways of going about it .New puppies are excitable and playful and therefore easily confused , so lots of patience is required .She mostly does her duty on the newspaper , but it does look terrible spread all over the house , so what we did then is just kept removing some a little at a time so she now is down to three spots she is allowed to “go” in. Also, we just started trying to use those training pads we got at Petco (blue plastic with padded top) .She is doing ok on those too after she realized what it was for . I must say , i’m so pleased with this type of dog . Though she is a handful ..VERY active , runs fast as lightening (almost ran out the door and away), eats anything and everything , unravels my sweaters , is hard on our big dogs believe it or not ,…she IS an amazing super smart , clean and cute looking dog, loves everyone she meets , loves other dogs, plays up a storm , cuddly and sweet , and is a riot every day .I wouldn’t reccomend this trype of dog to be left alone as a pup with small children because they are very playful which means tug of war and playful but sharp biting is the norm til they get older. This is a dog for a person that has lots of paience and time to spend playing .She can bark alot when she is lonely or anxious , but basically quiet most of the time .We have only had our 4 lb little baby pup for just over two weeks now and we will never part with her . She is adorable , and also sleeping on her back with her feet up in the air as I write .In an hour or so she will be latched on to my pantleg trailing around the house with me . She is just so cute !

Comment provided December 2, 2005 at 4:58 PM

arthoff writes:

My husband and I got a puggle 3 weeks ago to be a companion to our 3 yr old beagle mix. I can’t say enough about how great she is. Yes she chews on lots of stuff and digs some but she may not be as bad because we have another dog that loves to play with her and I have already started traing her. Secondly I think because she is food driven it really helps in the training. She’s 12 weeks old and already has learned to sit, lie down, leave it, and come on command. I spend about 10-20 min a day working with her and reward her with dog food instead of treats to cut down on weight issues. As far as potty training well all puppies will have accidents in the begining but we crate train our dogs and I have found that really helps. People can get the wrong idea thinking that crate training is inhumane but in fact the dogs love it. They feel safe and secure in a crate. Plus in a crate you don’t have to worry about what they are destroying while your gone or asleep. Adult dogs can be left in their crates for up to 6 to 8 hours and overnight. While puppies should only stay in for 2-3 hours at a time and overnight. People always want to blame the dog but really should blame themselves. If you take the time to train your dog you will not have nearly the problems that you can have if you don’t. Most dogs are in shelters not because of the breed or the dog but because people won’t take responsibilty for their pet and train them so that they won’t have the “behavior problems” that make people give them away.

Comment provided December 4, 2005 at 6:34 PM

Harold writes:

this reply is for Artoff…I read your response,and so far it has been the most helpful..I got a Puggle the other day..He is 3 months old,just about that time to start training him..He has been doing the #2 a lot and im sure its because he’s just a pup..i leave him the crate for about 2 hours then immediately takem’ outside right after, which he’s been doing really well with..he sleeps in the crate fine overnight..rarely barks..my only dilemma is him biting everything in site..Is this because he’s just a pup..this is my first dog ever and i want to train him just right..Any help on how to train him properly would be greatly appreciated..thank you..

hrod3@verizon.net

Comment provided December 5, 2005 at 11:29 AM

arthoff writes:

Hi Harold-
Biting everything huh? Sounds like a puppy to me :) Actually it maybe a little of the breed as well as being a puppy. Beagles can be mouthy because they are bred to hunt. First off you need to understand puppies-they are curious, very playful, and don’t know the difference between you and their littermate or your favorite shoe and the toy you bought them at Petsmart. This means it’s up to you to teach them whats ok and whats not ok. Puppy proof your house so they won’t destroy anything you want to keep-get everything you like out of their reach this includes vacuuming the carpet more often and if need be tying up all electrical cords or getting the hard plastic looming to cover the cords with. Try to keep all doors shut to other rooms and never leave your puppy alone in a room without you. You don’t need to play with him 24/7 just be able to keep an eye on him. Keep all garbage cans in cabinets under sinks if possible. If you catch him chewing on something he shouldn’t take it away say NO and give him a toy he can chew on.
Try leaving his toys out and round so he can find them easily and play with them instead. Since you can’t always play with him and he doesn’t have anyone else to play with try toys that “keep him busy” for example a great toy that my dogs love is a Treatball. It’s a hard plastic ball that has a hole-you fill the ball with small treats and as the ball rolls around treats will fall out a little bit at a time. This keeps the dogs interest and can be a fun challange for the dog. Mine will play with the ball till all the treats are gone (20 min usually) There are many differnt kinds of treatballs mine is the 6.50 hard plastic ball with a nickle size hole that I bought at petsmart-it also makes noise when it rolls around. I don’t buy the small expensive treats for the ball I just fill it with dry dogfood instead and save the treats for training. You will have to help show your dog how the ball works- roll it around on the ground and show him that the treats come out eventually he will get the idea. Also with slight caution my vet says puppys can have rawhides. Meaning only the plain kind no meat flavored or anything-give only a small amount. I will give my puppy the small thin plain flat rawhides that you can get at petsmart meant for puppies. Watch that they can’t choke on the kind you chose. Remember that rawhides can stain carpets so try to only give them it in their crates. And don’t give them too much 1 small rawhide every once and awhile not once a day is ok-if worried check with your vet. Lastly if your puppy is biting you then you need to train it not to. When puppies play they often play rough with their littermates-now that they are with you-you replace their littermate so they play rough with you. If you every watch 2 puppies play rough when one gets too rough and bites too hard the other yelps in pain-this usually stops the playing for a min or two as they make sure they are ok. You need to let your puppy know that biting you is painful-so say ouch in a high pitched voice like a yelp. Also even though they are cute they need discipline. So if they bite you, next time yelp, put your hand over their mouth and hold closed for 2-3 seconds, make eye contact and say “NO!” or NO BITE! don’t yell just be firm. Stick your hand out to them and if they lick your hand give him tons of praise “goodboy!” “good dog!” If he bites or nips again do it again and say NO again. This way you teach him whats ok behavior and whats not. Tone of voice is very important. It will take awhile for the puppy to learn so be patient and just remember to be consistant. If you have anymore questions you can e-mail me at s_hofreiter@hotmail.com– good luck

Comment provided December 6, 2005 at 7:42 PM

Janece writes:

Word of warning!!

My husband and I have a 10 mo. old Puggle. She is of course very cute and smart. She also is very food aggressive. I was told that both breeds (Beagle & Pug) are possessive type dogs and could be a combination for disaster. About a week ago our kids were in our kitchen. They had been eating a corn dog earlier and were watching our TV (still in the kitchen) about 20 minutes after the corn dog. Chloe (the dog) was under their feet sniffing around for crumbs. My daughter dropped a toy or something (not food) and the dog thought it was something to eat. My daughter (4 yrs.) grabed her and the dog in turn bit her in the face leaving a puncture wound. We also notice that she can get overly aggressive when playing tug or when chasing the kids in play.

We took the dog for some training lessons and a prong collar and were shown how to “break” her of it. In our first attempt, my husband held the leash and I was the “food taker awayer”. Bad choice on my part! Needless to say, the dog bit me pretty good in the hand.

At this point, we are feeding her only in her crate and trying to keep the kids from running around with food. Those of you who have kids know, this is not the easiest thing to do. Right now, we are at a loss of what should be done. The dog has a supper sweet side that we love, but my children come first. We don’t know if she’ll get worse of better with age. We’re afraid that when summer comes and there are kids around outside our home that she could be too much of a risk.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks! Janece

P.S. If any of you would be interested in this dog (NO KIDS) please e-mail us (saduslowell@aol.com)and we might consider giving her a new home.

Comment provided December 8, 2005 at 9:05 AM

sabrina writes:

Hi everyone I will be getting my 8 week old little boy puggle on Tuesday, I have a little anxiety becasue everyone seems to be having a bit of trouble potty training, also I just wanted to ask you all my puppy seems really small is it normal for him to be just 2 1/2 pounds at 8 weeks? It just seems to be very small to me if anyone has any advice for me I am all ears
thanks
sabrina

Comment provided December 9, 2005 at 2:51 PM

sarah writes:

Janece- Sorry to hear that your having some serious problems. I can somewhat relate we rescued my 3 yr old beagle mix from a shelter with no clue that he was dog aggressive. Before we knew of his bad behavior we took him to a dog park and he started a fight with a rottie and a boxer at the same time. My husband had to carry him out. With some hard work and lots of training we now also own a puggle puppy who he’s very attached to. I can finally take him on walks and stop the behavior before it starts and most important I feel like I have some control over him, that he’s listening to me and that he knows where he fits into “the pack”. Even with all the training, I know I can never fully trust him and I have to keep up his training everyday. Not only did I work with him on the aggression but also basic obedience training so that he learned to listen to me and obey commands I was giving him. This is a very serious situation due to the fact the dog is turning on you and your kids. To me it sounds like this puppy does not realize that it’s place is at the bottom of the pack and not equals with your family. I would try alot of training and some tough love like the “nothing for free program”. It can be a very hard thing having a aggressive dog. If I can help in anyway, feel free to email me s_hofreiter@hotmail.com

Comment provided December 9, 2005 at 11:06 PM

arthoff writes:

Lots of people have said that potty training may be hard with their puggle but I have had no problem. I think that you just have to really watch your puppy and get know their signs. Most puppys will start to sniff the ground and may turn different directions when they are about to go to the bathroom. Looking for that and catching it right before is very helpful. Even though their young I think it helps to put a word to it-like lets “GO OUTSIDE” My older dog knows what this means and when I ask him if he needs to go outside if it’s yes he’ll bark or go to the door. Another tip that worked for me is the after rule. Meaning after everything the puppy does we go outside. ex: aftering eating, always after sleeping, and after playing or being in a crate. This way your able to catch it more often and can slowly start to get the puppy into a routine which is very important. At first I always took my puppy outside on a leash and praise her alot for going oustide. After a couple of weeks I put her on a outside chain that went all the way to the door. This way I could still watch her and she couldn’t get into too much trouble. You really shouldn’t let a puppy outside without at least watching it from a window. Always make sure in the begining when you take the dog out to walk it to the door and then, outside and the same when you come in. This way the dog learns where to go to get outside. It helps to start the dog in a habbit of going to the door when they need to “GO OUTSIDE”. Lastly a crate is a great tool in helping to get the dog potty trained. Remember it will take time to get the puppy trained completely, the more time your home to let the puppy out the faster the puppy will catch on. Never be mean to the puppy when the have an accident it’s always expected to happen and more than once. Always give praise when the puppy goes to the door and goes to the bathroom outside.

Comment provided December 12, 2005 at 10:45 PM

Lindsay writes:

I have a 10 week old puggle. We have had her for 2 weeks. We started potty training her on the wee-wee pads. She used them the first day we got her and has been using them ever since. She occasionally misses but for the most part she does her business on them. We buy ours from either petsmart or petco!

Comment provided December 13, 2005 at 11:42 AM

Alicia writes:

Hello, for everyone getting a puggle Congrats, I think they are the greatest dog around. We’ve had our Puggle Bentley for 5 months and it has been mostly great times! We are still having some trouble potty training, for some reason he does not want to go “number 2” until he comes back inside, we are still trying to break him of that. As far as feeding them, right when you get your puggle make sure you tug on their tail, pick up there food and put it back down, pull him away to play and then let him go back to his food. If you start when he is a pup, he will be used to have things go on while he is eating and won’t be aggressive, that way if a child wants to go grab a toy by his food bowl, you won’t have to worry. We also give Bentley his favorite toy and then play take away with him, so he doesn’t get aggressive he thinks of it as more of a game. Overall he is a great dog and we really enjoy having him.

Comment provided December 13, 2005 at 8:30 PM

Carrie writes:

Hello, We will be getting a puggle on Christmas morning. I am very excited. We have a lab and so I know about crate training. I mentioned to two friends today about the puppy we are getting and both of them acted like I was crazy for getting a dog that has beagle qualities. I feel confident that we have made a good choice. It is nice to read your comments. Our puppy was born on Sep.20, so she is 13 weeks old. I like the advice from Alicia about the food training (taking the food away) to prevent the aggressive behavior. If anyone has any encouragement or advice for a smooth adoption, I would love it. Thank you.

Comment provided December 19, 2005 at 9:23 PM

Adrienne writes:

Hi, I just got a puggle puppy a few weeks ago. He is 3 months old and very adorable! After the first week we brought him home he started showing signs of kennel cough so we were easy on the training. Now the he’s better we are crate training and he is slowly getting used to it. I am having alot of problems walking him on a leash though. he is resistant and will not move when I try to walk him outside. I realize its very cold out and im trying to coax him with treats and praise as well as practicing indoors….any advise to speed this process up?

Comment provided December 20, 2005 at 1:08 PM

harry giannakoudis writes:

I need help !!!! My puggle is 4 months old and does not listen. I tried everything you can possibly imagine. My house is infested with toys. I completely potty trained her but the biting is a big problem. I feel bad sometimes because I know she is playing but she bites. my fingers are hurting because of this. This is the only dog that I know that you cant pet. If i pet her she bites. How can I stop this please someone help.

Comment provided December 26, 2005 at 12:18 PM

Emilie writes:

Hello fellow puggle aficionados! My husband and I have a 10 month old puggle who we adopted from the Humane Society when she was 7 mos. Indeed, she was a handful when we first got her. As with ALL puppies, she is very needy when it comes to attention. And, like ALL puppies, when they don’t get the required attention, they become destructive — to GET your attention. She was somewhat potty trained when we got her, but she still had several accidents. What we did was make sure to bring her outside IMMEDIATELY after she went in the house, and if possible, took the paper towels that we used to clean up the mess and put them on the grass so she would smell them and associate potty with being outside. This worked really well. We also regulate her feedings, which helps immensely with predictable potty times. Because she loves food, we have found her to be extremely trainable with the ‘reward system.’ As far as walking her, the only way we can stop her from pulling (or coax her to walk when she won’t budge) is to make sure she knows we have treats in our hand. She will usually stay right by us. Our puggle loves other dogs and will play with a Great Dane as readily as a Shih Tzu. Puggles have tremendous energy, so prepare yourself for hours of walking, playing, and/or running at the dog park!

Comment provided December 26, 2005 at 12:41 PM

JASON writes:

HI THERE ALL! RECIENTLY PURCHASED A PUGGLE, FEMALE…9 WKS OLD. I AM CONCERNED ON HOW TO TRAIN HER, BUT THIS SIGHT IS HELPFUL. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO ADDRESS ME PERSONALLY. I WILL BE PICKING HER UP ON MONDAY THE 2ND ….WHAT A WAY TO BRING IN THE NEW YEAR HUH? ANYWAYS, IS THERE A BOOK THAT IS AVAILABLE TO TRAIN JUST THE PUGGLE? IF SO PLEASE INFORM ME. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP TO THOSE WHO HAVE WRITTEN AND THOSE WHO WILL REPLY.
JASON

Comment provided December 30, 2005 at 11:42 AM

Roxy writes:

We have had our puggle for 10 months. She is now a year old. She was pretty easy to potty train and only had a few accidents. We put a doggy door in for her at our house, but when we are away from home she will go and grab her leash and bring it to you when she needs to go outside to use the bathroom. We trained her by giving her a piece of a treat everytime she would go outside until we eventually just gave her praise instead of treats. When she was a young pup she would mouth a little, but all puppies chew on stuff and get a little agressive when they want to play. She has never had a problem with her food, in fact if she could get away with it, she would like you to hand feed her. (which when she was teething we had to do a few times to get her to eat). We also had a baby in the end of June and she has taken to him so well. He’s now to the age where he pulls her tail and ears and she just goes with the flow. She will lick him lots if she gets the opportunity. When he’s on the floor she’s very careful not to step on him and if he’s crying she goes to check it out. She’s pretty protective of him. She’s a great kid friendly dog and I think it all depends on the owner and how you respect, train,and treat them. We love her more than anything and I would definitely get another one. She used to be kinda hyper, but as she gets older, she gets calmer. She loves to be around people and craves attention.

Comment provided January 2, 2006 at 9:03 PM

Lynne writes:

Hi all – we adopted a puggle a few weeks ago from the local humane society. He is 1 1/2 years old, and it has been difficult house-training him but we’re making progress. He rarely lets us know that he needs to go outside, so we’ve been trying to follow a regular schedule for bathroom breaks. Our biggest challenge has been that he is a destructive chewer. We have several toys (Kong’s, nylabones)out for him, but I can’t turn my head for a minute before he’s grabbing anything and everything he shouldn’t. Insights on how you’ve addressed your puggle’s chewing habits would be much appreciated. We didn’t expect this level of chewing behavior at his age. Thanks.

Comment provided January 6, 2006 at 8:27 PM

Jade writes:

I do not yet have a puggle but I have become newly obsessed with them. I have decided that this is exactly the dog that I want to get. It will be my first time having a dog of my own. My mother has a Beagle (who I grew up with) and I love and adore her. I am used to their tendancies so I think that I would be ok with their addiction of food.
If you have any advice with respect to training (outside of what is already here) and choosing a breeder or rescue organization, it would be greatly appreciated. I find that when I look at some of the breeders sites, the dogs look unhappy and are in a puggle factory type of environment. I want to avoid adopting from this type of breeder. Why the differences in price? Why do some breeders charge $500 and some $1000? Also, can a puggle really be guaranteed to be toy size? I just have so many questions and possibly need info on things I don’t know to ask. If you should feel so inclined please give me some advice on getting this kind of dog. Thank you in advance for any help!!! =)

Comment provided January 15, 2006 at 3:48 PM

Mayra writes:

Fed up with the biting! I have a male Puggle who is four months and bites quite hard. He does not like it when you attempt to clean his ears, put his collar on, or place a hand over his mouth when he does bite. Any suggestions?!? He’s potty trained and knows a few commands, but the biting is out of control.

Comment provided January 17, 2006 at 2:18 PM

arthoff writes:

I have a 5 month old female puggle and she bites and chews everything as well but having a crate helps if she gets too nippy or I can’t watch her I put her in the crate for a “time out”. Another helpful tool is exercise, the more exercise she gets the more tired she is the less energy she has to bite and chew. She’s much more calm on the days when I take her on a long walk then days when shes inside. I exercise her by taking her for a long walk where I can work on her leash training as well. Another thing that works great for me is taking her to a outdoor tennis court that has doors on it so she can’t run away and let her run off leash. I’m not a big fan of off leash dog parks and this way she can be off leash and run as fast as she wants and I don’t have to worry about another dog or her running away. I find that 20 min of running around inside the tennis court makes her sleep for about 3-4 hours when we get home and makes her much less destructive. In situations where you need to clean the dogs ears or wipe their feet or clip nails try giving treats and lots of praise. Becuase puggles are part beagle they tend to love food and will do anything for it. Positive association with the activity your trying to do always helps the dog to be more willing. Lastly if the biting is really a problem then I would go and consult a trainer about ways to correct the behavior-the more training you do with your dog the more they will listen to your commands. When you train you need to be consistant that means over and over again even when they know the command you still need to practice them listening and obeying it. If I don’t work with my dogs every other day for at least 10 min they tend to start misbehaving and not listening to me.

Comment provided January 18, 2006 at 4:13 PM

Brenna writes:

hello harry giannakoudis I have a puggle 2 he is 6 months and when he is 4 months he was the same and still is not the petting type but the playing type well when i went 2 puppy school wich u should try they taught us this excercise to stop the bitting. u sit him down and then u stick ur finger in there moth wait till they bit u and then loudly u say och then they will stop just keep doing this and u should really consider puppy school- Brenna

Comment provided January 24, 2006 at 6:48 PM

Brenna writes:

THIS IS 4 REBBACA U SHOULD TRY PUPPY SCHOOL AND DONT WORRIE GET PUPPY TRAINING PADS PLACE THEM AT THE DOOR U WANT HER 2 GO 2 TO LET U KNOW 2 TAKE HER OUT AND JUST HAVE FUN I ALWAYS LOVE 2 PLAY WITH MINE HE IS SOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!
YOURS,Brenna Hughes

Comment provided January 24, 2006 at 6:58 PM

Sara writes:

We got a puggle boy two weeks ago. He’s wonderful in every way except he bites so much! We’re doing everything that’s been recommended (yelping ouch, going away if he won’t stop, holding him down until he stops wriggling) but the only thing that works is dousing ourselves in bitter apple. He’s only 11 weeks old… when will this end???

Comment provided January 26, 2006 at 10:39 AM

Ryan writes:

I need some help. My 4 month old puggle bites very hard. I’m not sure what to do. I don’t want him to be aggressive. Is it just being a puppy or what???

Comment provided February 1, 2006 at 6:19 PM

Sean writes:

Puggle Biting?

This is very simple to stop. When holding your puggle “normally” and it begins to bite, insert your hand or finger into their mouth as far back as you can into its throat or by moving its jaw back. Do not use too much force, as you can hurt them. However, if done properly, the dog will assoicate biting your hand with discomfort. As long as you do not do this when you are playing with the puggle, he will continue to wrestle with you.

Lastly, to prevent food aggressiveness, feed the puppy from your hand with a closed fist. The dog will first bite, paw and try to get at the food. As the dog “tries” different tactics, he will eventually lick you. Now open your hand a little, continue opening your hand until he bites, then close your hand.. The puppy will associate licking with a food reward and should stop biting.

Comment provided February 17, 2006 at 6:21 AM

Gigi writes:

Can you give me your suggestion? I will be picking up my new puggle puppy “DeNiro” on March 6th. He will be 8wks old and I am a little confused about something. I want to crate train him. My question is: What is the proper way to crate train? Do I still put newspapers nearby the crate for him to know to make on?
Thanks so much!
Gigi

Comment provided March 2, 2006 at 1:40 PM

Heather writes:

We will be getting our boy puggle on March 17th and are very excited! Please e-mail me if you know alot about puggles and really enjoy yours, I would love to write you as I have questions. heather.kowalski@hotmail.com

Comment provided March 4, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Zoe writes:

Hi! I’ve been looking all around for a 2nd dog, I already have a Lab (love hime to death!)
Soon i came across my first Puggle and quickly fell in love. I have done some research, and visted a few places with puggles. When i came across this website i was interested,and read every comment. There seems to be a lot of negitivity about puggles. For someone who is not already purchased one, should i proceed? And if i could hear more of the positive things about these adorable Pups it wouls be mighty helpful!
thanks!

Comment provided March 4, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Rachel writes:

I purchased my female puggle Sadie when she was 8 weeks old. She is now 5 months old and still not fully potty trained. We are making progress every day though. Besides potty training she has been an amazing dog. We have a 1 year old ridgeback mix and they get along so well. Sadie graduated from puppy school last week and will be attending an advanced class in a few weeks. I haven’t had any of the bitting problems I have read on this site. We do give Sadie rawhide bones and she will lay and chew those for an hour or so while she is relaxing. For everyone looking to purchase a puggle I would say yes get one, but do realize you need to spend time with the puppies and get them properly trained. If you don’t have the time to spend with the puppies its unfair to adopt them. Good luck to anyone adopting a puggle, mine has been wonderful!

Comment provided March 9, 2006 at 3:17 PM

Alvi writes:

We just got a 16 week old puggle. He is so adorable! And my husband and I love him so much. The only dilemma we’re having right now is potty training him. We tried to watch him and see signs that he needs to go. but when that time comes to go outside, he doesn’t want to go towards the door unless we pick him up. By that time, he already did the wet business on the carpet. And when it’s time to put him in the crate, after a few minutes, he poops in the crate. I think that he has been pottying in his crate because he has been able to potty in his cage at the pet store that we got him from. Please give us some tips on how to potty train our new baby.

Comment provided March 11, 2006 at 9:58 PM