Duplicate Title Penalty

The bad news: Effective immediately, we are no longer allowing duplicate title’s in any article by any author name.

The good news: Our site will be 100% unique title’s for all articles soon… setting a new standard not normally adhered to by competing article directories.

Previously we allowed duplicate titles of any article as long as it wasn’t by the same exact author name… because it’s legit that multiple authors might want to have the exact same article title, even though the body of their articles are unique.

Here’s why this change or restriction was necessary:

1) The size of our site no longer allows easy duplicate title scripts to run without crashing the servers. By going to a single unique title database design we are able to create a title index that new submissions can be compared against in real-time — allowing us to auto-reject any duplicate title before it gets submitted.

2) If you want to blame someone for this, you can thank all of the authors who submit to us via the automated service providers that send in mass duplicated articles that we spend oooooooodles of hours sifting through by hand mindlessly. Authors really need to take some responsibility when submitting to us and then submitting to those blast services that then submit to us on the authors behalf — making the author look incompetent.

3) There is some perceived value to site quality if we have 100% unique title’s content… in terms of the partnership commitment we have with the search engines (our goal to serve them useful and relevant content that makes them look good to their users).

Whenever an author attempts to submit a duplicate title article, we will be notified via email and will investigate each event. In time, we’ll begin tracking abuse and logging it in our notes for each author so we have more information to make better decisions.

An unintended consequence is going to occur from this shift: We will no longer have an easy way to identify non-exclusive rights content submitters (not wanted here) the same way we used to identify them. We have a highly complex new set of tools that we won’t be sharing with the marketplace designed to help us privately and quickly identify private label article spam…so they can be discarded.

I’m sorry we had to take away the ability for multiple authors to have the same article title, but know that this was a decision designed to protect the quality of the site for the greater good of all that use EzineArticles.com. We’re in it for the long-term and this was one of those hard choices that had to be made.

Dave Saunders writes:

This is great news for those of us who work hard to develop unique content!

-Dave

Comment provided November 4, 2005 at 2:27 PM

Olena Gill writes:

“Whenever an author attempts to submit a duplicate title article …”

What I have difficulty with is that as I am writing my article complete with creating a snappy, and what I think of as unique, title … how do I know that someone hasn’t thought of something simiarly creative? The above statement already assumes that an author is aware of the duplicate. The big question is then, us authentic authors who do this because we love to write, etc. how do we know for sure if our titles will end up being duplicated? The answer I believe, that in the moment we are creating and then submitting, we don’t. We take our chance. And if a title gets submitted that ends up being duplicated, I would see this as abusive ONLY if there was conscious awareness on the part of the duplicator that were ‘taking’ someone else’s title. It’s like stealing where you know its wrong but you do it anyway.

My problem lies in the scenario multitude of authors who sit here like me typing away, creating things, thinking we have something unique, submit it and then take our chance that someone else’ hasn’t thought about it. How can one screen that? I don’t know. I think it’s very difficult.

Anyway, just my random thoughts on this.

Comment provided November 4, 2005 at 2:45 PM

Mike Valentine writes:

Also great news for creativity! Many article titles I’ve seen are yawn inducing and could use a jolt of innovation juice. I know this is not a fiction list in general, but authors need to put some thought into headlines (titles) to get reader interest as well.

Good move! Maybe it will encourage submissions to get more creative overall in order to match the better titles. ;-)

Comment provided November 4, 2005 at 2:57 PM

Sallie Goetsch writes:

As long as there’s an automatic notification that the title is a duplicate, I don’t have a problem with the requirement. (Computer databases are less forgiving than either copyright laws, which don’t allow the copyrighting of titles, or trademark laws, which allow for the use of the same name if it refers to a different class of goods or services.)

But, Christopher–you’re an editor. Why are you forming the plural of “title” using an apostrophe?

Comment provided November 4, 2005 at 4:52 PM

Mud Knight writes:

Sorry’s, I have’s the habit’s of adding too many’s apostrophe’s where they’s don’ts belong. ;-)

Technically, I’m not an editor… or at least our Associate Editors wouldn’t call me an editor.

When I wrote my last book, my editor at John Wiley & Son’s would call me the “comma kazi”… but now, I’m the “apostrophe adder where they don’t belonger!”

Good thing our editors read my blog posts to correct me when wrong. You just happened to catch me before they did.

-Chris

Comment provided November 4, 2005 at 5:08 PM

This is wonderful news for all the dedicated writers, because any serious author will like his articles to be remain unique in all respects. This is a very good move taken by EzineArticles.com, and i think this should have been implemented earlier.

Comment provided November 4, 2005 at 11:44 PM

I think people can live with this? When it kicks it back, well simply write a different title. That is easy enough. What about all the old Articles? Someone has to go and modify all those titles. Yuk. Well, if someone wants their title over mine, simply change mine, I am cool with it.

Comment provided November 5, 2005 at 1:54 AM

Roger Carr writes:

Original articles deserve original titles. If I have created a title that someone else is already using, I would prefer to change my title. I would like to see the problem identified automatically when the article is being submitted (rather than rejecting it during the reveiew process).

Comment provided November 6, 2005 at 7:55 AM

I think any discerning article writer will applaud your decision, as I do. Like Roger Carr, it would be more helpful if the duplication could be notified to us before the review stage.

How are you going to de-duplicate the existing articles? Will we get a note telling us which of our articles are causing problems? I’m guessing the first person that used the article title will be able to keep the original?

Comment provided November 7, 2005 at 5:46 AM

Jeff Sneeringer writes:

How can we find out if our title is original?

Comment provided January 21, 2011 at 4:39 PM

You will receive a notice during the submission process that the title you’ve selected already exists. You then have the option to change it if you choose.