Same Author Names

Authors, we need your help:

The way the current system works today, we can only accept one author name per complete system…which means, if your name is “Christopher M. Knight”, that there can be only one author name with that exact name.

This policy has brought about 2 dozen complaints over the past 6 months, especially as we add thousands of new authors…many of which have the exact same full names as other people in unrelated industries.

Some questions for you:

1) Should we begin allowing multiple author names of the exact same name?

2) How should we do it considering the current expert author URL structure we have today? ex:

3) Any other concerns relating to this issue that we should address at the same time?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Mark Kenny writes:

I think that accepting articles from different authors with the same name would only cause confusion for end users & would disrupt the benefits that our articles bring back to the authors, in terms of seo issues.

I know that when I google my name, my articles on EzineArticles.come up as #1. This is one of the best benefits of EzineArticles & could lost instantly if there were two Mark Kennys on EzineArticles.

Keep us all informed though, how you decide to proceed.

Comment provided October 19, 2005 at 3:35 PM

Soni writes:

One assumes that you could add a form field to let authors with the same name to enter middle initials or full names (as the case may be) to differentiate themselves. Or perhaps you could suggest allowing those who have same full name to add a distinguishing addition, such as Christopher M. Knight – FunkyFlowers Manufacturing. Like yahoo and other places, you could also allow them to enter alternative versions of their name (Chris Knight) or Christopher Knight, Jr.) until they’re all used up.

Comment provided October 19, 2005 at 7:59 PM

Dina Giolitto writes:

Hi Mark,

I just want to point out that the Google searchers are not searching for your name. They’re searching for your topic and what comes up is your article. If your article gets clicked and it brings your reader to the resource box with your URL, then it doesn’t matter so much if there is a Mark Kenny 2 out there confusing things.

Comment provided October 20, 2005 at 1:12 AM

Brian Baldwin writes:

It only stands to reason that there will be more than one author by that name.
I think you should allow it. After all, why penalize people for their name.

I share my name with all types of people and it’s not exactly a common name.

Comment provided October 25, 2005 at 1:21 PM

Though I’m far from being a common woman, my name is rather common. That’s why I started using my middle initial (though it’s hardly unique). However, even with that, I’ve had articles attributed to me that I’ve not written, as well as my articles being attributed to someone else. So when I can, I now include my professional designation when I can.

If the decision is made to accept authors with the same name, the question then becomes which “Jane Doe” are we talking about. Topic is not enough to separate the two people…many of us write on a variety of topics.

Comment provided October 25, 2005 at 5:55 PM

Arvind writes:

There should be only one Author with a same. Otherwise it would leave a lot of confusion.

For different Author with similar name. They can choose Nick name. Otherwise is should be only one.

Comment provided October 25, 2005 at 9:27 PM

Jem Bacchus writes:

It seems to me that it would be very unfair to someone who happens to have a name like someone else, to have his article barred from being published because of this.

Every person born in this world is endowed with both a mother and a father. Therefore, I suggest that in order to avoid confusion, a person could use mother’s maiden name as well as father’s surname. For example; let’s assume that John’s mother is Mary Heyson (maiden name), and his father is Tom Josell, John can assume the author name John Heyson-Josell.

It is hardly likely that another author would have the exact combination of names. If this should happen, then he could easily add his middle initial.

If by chance his mother’s maiden name is the same is his father’s surname, then use both names; e.g., John Josell-Josell.
In my opinion, this should end all the confusion.

Comment provided October 28, 2005 at 9:48 PM