Lance’s Article Template Experiment

Recently Lance Winslow wrote about 50 articles in a series that began in this format “Read This Article If You ……..” He then reflected on the traffic that all of these articles attracted before the search engines picked up and indexed them. What Do Ezine Article Writers Really Want”

I do agree with this conclusion that Lance extrapolated: “This shows us that the reason the articles on the EzineArticles.com site are so good, is they are written by winners.” :-)

Dina writes:

Dear Lance,

I was just scrolling the Recently Submitted thread and letting your “Read This Artice If” articles suck me in one by one. At times you say you’re not a writer, but I think you may be wrong about that. Great, crackly copy with a smooth conversational flow. Very nice, very thought-provoking.

You’re really a natural web traffic generator – amazing insight into the human mind, little bites of valuable info served up quickly and fired off in thematic rounds, old-school marketing style. And those irresistible call-to-action headlines… really you are damned brilliant.

Will you please start attaching my website link to your bio? I could really use the mass traffic that your work no doubt brings. ;)

As you once said to me, “I am a fan indeed.” Ditto.

Comment provided October 31, 2005 at 9:51 AM

Yes, I would attach your website, figure a way to work it in, in a sentence. How about “Lance is not a writer, if you need one call Dina?”
With over 650,000 page views now and 2% – 3% Click Through my traffic is much more that I will ever need. The experiment is working, it is generating a boat load of traffic I was amazed how well it worked, too funny, it started as an experiment. 80 articles now, I think I will round this out at a hundred and see what happens, kind of watching it and plotting it out now. It is surprising how lucky you get when you are working hard?

Comment provided November 1, 2005 at 5:17 PM

Fred writes:

Lance, I’m new to article writing. Do you use this “Read this…” line in your title or the beginning of your article? I see from your Ezine article, you don’t always use the “Read this article if…” line.

I wonder if I should log into my existing articles I have sitting in article directories and change my titles to something more effective. They probably aren’t too exciting now. I only have 2 articles out there so far. They are about employee background checks and driving records.

What if everybody were to use the same “Read this article…” line? Won’t that dilute it’s effectiveness?

Comment provided November 8, 2005 at 8:00 AM

Fred in theory, the title starting with “Read This Article if…” is not preferrable because the words “Read,” “Article” are not key word rich, most search engines do not count “this” or “if” so actually for search engine use, this is not preferrable and chances are your current articles are fine the way they are and probably better.

This experiment is due to a theory I had that when people were searching, they might run across my article and see “Read Me” and then click on it. It does seem to work a little, not significantly, but it does work. The title is selling a click. The ones which have worked best are; Read this if…you want to be skinny, you want to be wealthy? etc? You might try a few articles such as Read This Article if you want the best employees or Read this article to be sure your company has safe drivers? But I would only do it if you are going to write many articles. What could be better is to title it. Employee Background Check; read this article to learn how or Employee Driving Records; read this article if you want to know the truth. Try those first. Email me if you need more ideas. You will do fine, luckily you have chosen EzineArticles to post your articles and this means you already have a head start. Try to write one article a day until January 1, 2006 and see how well you do. Work on “key word” rich titles that grab the reader, writing titles is a skill, even newspapers are careful to have people who can write those catchy titles so people buy the newspapers in the news paper racks. think on this.

Comment provided November 11, 2005 at 10:00 AM

Fred Appleyard writes:

Lance,
Good advice. It’s like Jason Potash talking about why it’s a bad idea to use hyperlinks like “Click here” unless you want to target the keywords “Click here.” When I published an article about driving records in the article directories, I used “DMV records play critical role in hiring decisions.” For one about employee background checks – “employee background checks security checks on the increase.”

The big problem with most article directories is you cannot use hypertext, so you can only use your URL. beyourowndetective.com only targets the keyword “detective.” I could use other domains that contain other important keywords, but I’m working on building one big site for now, that would cover all these topics, so I don’t spread myself too thin.
Thanks!
Fred

Comment provided November 11, 2005 at 4:46 PM

Fred Appleyard writes:

I don’t know if it’s humanly possible to write 1 article a day. 1 article a week is feasible but even that would be difficult. It isn’t so much writing the article that takes a long time, but it’s the research on each topic I must do. I wish I knew a quicker more efficient way to do this.

Comment provided November 11, 2005 at 10:20 PM