Home Page Redesign Options

EzineArticles.com Users: We’ve been contemplating our home page design…a design that has served us well till about now.

Which of the following options would you favor:

1) Minimalist design: Blank home page with a search box only, would still have an index to the directory, but the home page would be bare with only a main search box to begin.

2) Top level categories only with a 2nd level of sub-categories available via one click. Option #2 would allow for a greater quantity of sub-categories to be added to the site.

3) As it is now, even with a few dozen more sub-categories listed. Users are already scrolling to see all of the sub-categories, so what’s the big deal?

Which do you like and why?

1. while simplicity is elegance, i do not see this marketing you well to first time visitors

2. my first choice – simplest without clutter and allows you to expand sub-cats without having an eight foot home page

3. seems like it would either limit you or become too bulky

keep up the good work

Comment provided October 30, 2005 at 6:51 AM

Michael Russell writes:

Option 2

Comment provided October 30, 2005 at 7:00 AM

You know it might be best to simplify and go for a combo, of number one and number two. With a hyperlink at the bottom, which says see; “See all categories” which takes you to a page which is exactly as it is now? Or click on main categories to go to that specific sub group. Good thoughts here Chris. Then allow the sub category pages to be in HTML with all those sub categories going to specific categories with articles underneath that about forty or fifty deep for good key wording and more specific ad traffic, you know? I like your thoughts here on the leap hour.

This way you could have Number one; Search Box on top With Main Categories underneath, still room for ads to pay for it all and you get your Number Two too as it would be number one and Number 2. Also current page as is as another page; would also be one click away.

Speaking of which I see EzineArticles.com as a “One Click Away” answer to the success of my website. Think about it. The Good Life is only one click away. EzineArticle.com is the Bomb!

Comment provided October 30, 2005 at 7:14 AM

Anthony Bloch writes:

Option 2.

Comment provided October 30, 2005 at 9:09 AM

Col Croucher writes:

I guess a change is as good as a holiday, but what is wrong with the current layout, it is easy to navigate and simple to use.
If it aint broke why fix it!

Comment provided October 30, 2005 at 7:37 PM

Jeanette Fisher writes:

I like the idea of # 2). HOWEVER, you have the most compressive article site. You don’t want to look like all the little article directories that sprung up like spam. With all your categories showing the way they do right now, you blow them all away. How about keeping many top categories and “Full list of …” “One Click Away?”

Comment provided October 30, 2005 at 8:11 PM

Jayadeep Rath writes:

Hi Christopher !!

No 2 is the way 2 go. However, please try and not 2 change the basic layout by tooooo much. I like EzineArticles just as it is.

Comment provided October 30, 2005 at 9:01 PM

Dawn Dingus writes:

I like option 2 the best. I think the current format works and overall it is easy to navigate. But as a newbie to EzineArticles.com, finding the main category and sub-category I was looking for during my first visit required me to scroll down and search. As a webmaster, I tend to scroll down as a habit when visiting other websites anyway. However, my personal experiments with my site have shown that displaying all of the main top-level categories separately from the sub-categories, in a manner that will not require visitors to scroll down, is the most effective method. It can generate immediate interest that will entice visitors to click through to view sub-categories. I have found that displaying sub-categories on the homepage can be quite effective, but it seems to be best when the main categories are listed separately within a menu. Oftentimes visitors will hit the back button and leave a site if they cannot find the main topic of what they’re looking for right way. With future sub-category additions to your site, the current format may become overwhelming to first-time visitors. Best of luck with whichever method you select.

Comment provided October 31, 2005 at 12:55 AM

Sharae Taylor writes:

I think #2 would be great … number 1 is not enough for first time users.

Number 2 would work but you do need to clearly state there are subcategories and easy access to them. I find on my own website people do not read alot of what is in front of them and if it isn’t easy enough to navigate they won’t click past the front page and it has to be interesting enough for them to want to go past the front page.

Hyperlink at the bottom, which says see; “See all categories” may not do it. A hyperlink for each main category that takes them to the full list of sub-categories for that category I have found works the best and less confusion to the visitor.

Comment provided October 31, 2005 at 2:33 AM

Priya Shah writes:

I like minimalist. Works for Google, doesn’t it? :-)

Comment provided November 1, 2005 at 9:56 AM

Curt Graham writes:

Hi Chris,

I like #2 choice. What is always easy for me are the drop down menus. Listing the main categories is always important. If one clicks on the main category he or she is interested in, instantly a drop down list of subcategories are seen. Just slide the pointer down from the original click, and WHAM, you are where you want to be.

Have a great day,