Recently Submitted?

Dear Authors or Publishers,

Curious: Is the “Most Recently Added Articles” link of any value?

I’m considering removing it from our left navigation as I’m not sure it’s adding any real value considering how large the site has come.

If anything, my gut instinct is to remove it. If we were to replace it, I’d put the most recently added articles for each sub-category that a user is viewing so they could find more relevant articles…but that’s a day job of work.

Your thoughts?

Dear, Chris.

I scan this page every day to see the latest articles, it only takes a few minutes and I always find several which catch my eye based on title. I use it, not sure if others do. I also scan for names of my favorite authors, who always have great insight. There are other sites with instant updating I could go to instead and find other interesting authors I suppose?

Comment provided August 1, 2005 at 1:37 PM

Dina Giolitto writes:

Hi Chris and Lance… I think it might be redundant at this point, since the articles are all at the bottom of the homepage. But yes, I do occasionally click there.

Comment provided August 1, 2005 at 3:06 PM

Programmer #1 writes:

Hello, I’d like to offer my two cents on this, even though indeed, i’m the one that programs all the nifty ways of viewing things around here, I find EzineArticles a fascinating source of reading. I think the recent articles listing is still usefull, as it gives more detailed listing than the list on the first page. The open page listing is a nice quick look at the newest approved. But the other offers what Lance mentioned, the ability to look for specific authors and a preview. On a technical note. The side bar recent listing is based on original submission date, where as the opening page is based on Editor Approval Date. This gives two different aspects of “new” articles. Perhaps a question here is should this stay based on author submission, or should it be identical to the opening page, based on that days approvals. (Yes this is actually an old routine that never got changed, I shall take my flogging now for exposing it, but this thread also lead me to finding it.)

Comment provided August 2, 2005 at 5:26 AM

I agree: The overview of “Most Recently Added Articles” is a fine way for us of catching up, not only with the actual articles but also about trends – what is in fashion now – and e.g. the many different ways of creating titles.

Especially if you have a number of substantial different websites like me to feed with good content it is well worth browsing through on a regular basis, if not every day.

In fact I regard your question, Chris, as a rhetoric question as you might have clear evidence of the traffic on this page from your site’s statistics.

So thanks for this splendid resource.

Comment provided August 9, 2005 at 1:45 PM

Brian Baldwin writes:

I vote to keep it. I just joined and I’ve used it.

By the way, thanks for the resources.

Comment provided August 9, 2005 at 5:48 PM

elena writes:

I just signed up and am still learning how the site works, etc. I scrolled through the list (and read several interesting articles) and found it useful though it took a long time. It would have been easier if it had been sorted by category.

Comment provided August 9, 2005 at 6:11 PM