Article Writing Tip

Do this: After you’ve written your next quality article, stop and then read your article out loud as if you were going to lead a seminar audience with your article.

You’ll often find subtle sentence structure things to change or improve after you do this simple and quick exercise — with the end result being an article that may make more sense.

Give it a try and let me know if this strategy works for you…as it works for me. :]

Dina Giolitto writes:

Hey Chris,

Yesterday I was thinking about writing an article on this very topic. In trying to get my client’s “voice” down, I literally had to LISTEN to her voice – which is accessible via the audio on her site.

And yes, to your point, after I draft up work for her, I have to read it out loud to check the flow AND test if I have accurately inserted her “voice” in the copy.

Comment provided August 11, 2005 at 7:18 AM

Cindy DeJager writes:

Good day Chris!

I do this each and every time I am preparing an article, and it works. It is very true that after reading your work out loud you find the troublesome sentences and awkward paragraphs that just don’t roll off your tongue.

Comment provided August 11, 2005 at 10:31 AM

Dr.S.Rama murthy writes:

Dear Christopher,
You are right!. It works. I was doing a translation work of my own article from English to KANNADA. I read my article to my friend, and I found myself that the article needs fine tuning.

I gave my PhD thesis(draft) in Mechancal Engineering to my friend, who is holding a doctorate degree in Physics. She corrected from the point of English and logical flow of the concept. This is another method of improving our write-up.

Have a Nice Day
Thanks and Regards
Rama murthy

Comment provided August 11, 2005 at 10:40 PM

Deanna writes:

Hi Chris

Yes this certainly does work. I always read my articles, short stories out loud after first to final draft. Essential great tip you have raised the awarenes of.

Comment provided August 12, 2005 at 7:42 AM

Mike Elia writes:

Hi Chris:

Another helpful tool that many people may not even realize they have in their toolbox is Adobe’s “Read Out Loud” function under the menu bar’s View option.

I often convert my articles to PDF and then let Adobe read it back to me. Although the read back is robotic sounding, it does help catch missing words, tense errors, and other over looked mistakes.

Comment provided August 14, 2005 at 9:44 AM

Good advice, but it is rather time consuming you know. I sure like Mike’s idea a lot.

Comment provided August 17, 2005 at 11:55 PM