Article Proofreading Services

What’s the going rate to have an article professionally proofread for:

Proofreading Services Coming Soon

*) Basic English spelling
*) Grammar
*) Punctuation and
*) Sentence structure?

We’ve been kicking this around and thought many of our authors who have English as a second language or they are first time article authors might find some real value in having one of our Associate Editors to professional clean up and fix articles on a fee basis.

I was thinking a nominal small flat fee or perhaps a package price for buying so many article proofreads and rather than get into a long email exchange back and forth relationship, it would be a one way type of thing where we just proofread, fix, correct and then make the article go instantly live.

Question is: How much to charge?

HA! I like it; how about a bulk rate on let’s say 900 to 1000 plus articles?

Comment provided May 16, 2005 at 9:09 PM

Ha ha ha, very funny.

Your articles are excellent already!

Comment provided May 16, 2005 at 10:17 PM

edward writes:

$1 per article sounds reasonable.

Comment provided May 17, 2005 at 12:04 PM

Arun writes:

Thats a cool idea :)

let me know when you decided. I have many things to do in short time. English is not my mother language and I really like to present my things to my audiance with error free english, so that they can understand exactly what I mean..

Comment provided May 20, 2005 at 12:17 PM

Bonnie Davis writes:

Chris,

Just an FYI… I’ve been paying my editor about $30 per article for proofreading and editing and it’s ben well worth it.

Comment provided May 23, 2005 at 1:49 PM

Bill Platt writes:

I charge $25 per 1000 word set, with a minimum fee of $25.

I can’t imagine anyone touching an editing job for a dollar. And, if they would, why would you trust their work?

Let me put it in a way that makes it understandable for everyone.

For one dollar, a minimum wage employee that understands he or she is a minimum wage employee will not spend more than 12 minutes editing a document for one dollar. So, for that one dollar, your editor would be applying 720 seconds to a 1000 word document.

How does that allow enough time for more than a cursory glance? It doesn’t.

And if English is not your native language, then more time will need to be spent working on the grammar, composition and spelling. Your 1000 word document will take far longer than 12 minutes to edit.

The minimum wage employee might consider spending 12 minutes of his or her time for the dollar (minus transactional fees) that he or she will be paid. But, if you are using these words to represent the image of your company, then you may not want the skills of a person who only works for $5 an hour. And, a professional editor who knows the value of his or her work/time, will not touch a job for so little money.

So, the final question you must ask yourself is this. What is more important to the reputation of your company? Someone who is willing to work for pennies, or someone who will do you a good job for a fair wage?

Think about it… Are you willing to work for pennies on the dollar? If you won’t do it, then why should you expect others to work for pennies on the dollar?

Comment provided June 11, 2005 at 10:25 PM