Article Marketing Ceiling

As an author, is there or should there every be a ceiling for how many articles you put into distribution?

ie: Is there any true downside to having too many articles out in distribution on too many sites?

Is there any harm in a few hundred? a few thousand? Is ten thousand too many?

At what point do you think it harms an author? Is there ever a point of harm?

What if the author only wants to grow their traffic and is not selling any books? …meaning, if the author only wants to drive their own traffic for purposes of advertising revenue: Is there any ceiling to how many thousands of articles they should put into distribution?

Where is the ceiling?

Ivy writes:

I think that if an author has the sole purpose of writing advertising content, everything should come up roses – provided the content is well-written and appropriate. The more a potential client sees your name at the bottom of an article, the stronger the perception of your supreme knowledge. The more familiar your name becomes, the more “expert” you appear, the more likely a potential customer is to click on that link and land on your site. From there, your web copy takes over, but that curious visitor is already closer to buying because they trust you. After all, you’re the expert.

Comment provided May 10, 2005 at 8:34 PM

Well, here is a thought; I have about 730 articles or so on this site now. About a thousand more to by the time I go thru all my old content of 6000-8000 Internet Posts to my bulletin boards over the past 5 years, as some of those with a little modification will be articles too. 2500 pages of operations manuals from my companies I wrote.

But so far at 730 articles and on the seventh week; I have GRAND TOTAL: 59509 views. So 60,000 views is significant and the web traffic has increased to my sites. Even though I had to retire do to the fact I reached 40 years old last year, so these hits to our sites do not help me personally, but it is a great case study to the power of article writing. I can tell you this, I probably get the coolest emails of anyone on the Planet from those people who read them, yes and a few of the negative ones too, on opinions one projects in articles. But all in all, whether or not you write to sell, inform or project your views; I can say that this website and the Team of knights which runs it have an incredible tool for all authors. It is your mega phone to the world. It has been said that a pen is mightier than a sword. Well then a word processor is like machine gun. And EzineArticles is a thought transfer mechanism into the global consciousness. EzineArticles is the easiest way to plug into the Internets full potencial and gap the six degrees of separation. You really want to say something? Say it on EzineArticles.com ; I did and the world is listening? Can you hear me now? And they did and it was good and they email and say wow.

I’m sold. There is definitely some truth to the saying; “It’s a numbers game”, I recommend how ever many articles you have, commit yourself to double up and double your expose and success. No one can make you drink, but this site leads you to a land plentiful with water.

Think about it.

Comment provided May 10, 2005 at 9:08 PM

Dina Giolitto writes:

I agree with Ivy’s sentiments that familiarity breeds credibility to some extent. But I also worry that in their haste to quickly throw content up all over the web, some folks are not paying close enough attention to the quality of the articles themselves. I’d like to think that the best authors are being recognized and rewarded in some way (when I come across fantastic articles, I put them in my website newsletter – and I hope others are doing the same). But is there a ‘ceiling?’- Maybe not on the web, but in one place at one brief time, yes, I think the article cup may runneth over. To me, it’s a bit odd when a new author suddenly appears and starts posting hundreds of articles at a very rapid pace. It makes me wonder where the articles *really* came from (!) and I may even investigate a bit. I suppose some may really and truly have chronicles of articles of merit. If you do, all I have to say is WOW- but the truth is, as your numbers go up, so do my eyebrows. :)

Comment provided May 10, 2005 at 9:40 PM

Dina, sure makes a great point. It is important to maintain the integrity of your articles and of course quality. I am very much working on my quality and so should other authors. Unfortunately for me personally I have been so busy doing all my life, that I had little time to write about it all. I believe that we all have so many observations and thoughts that it should be easy to put up hundreds of articles by writing them as you go and using previous information to formulate articles from. When your eyebrows go up, I hope you have pretty eyes? I like to look into peoples eyes to see if they have the drive, preserverance, committment, decidation, strength of character, stick to it ness, drive, ambition, energy, to go beyond the weakness that we breed in our cultures. I like to see the fire of human spirit and intent. I believe that is truly the strength of our species. I wish more would join me in the forward progression of mankind. As I grow and work on my infant writing skills, I surely hope someone will commit themselves to moving their ball forward. I hope authors and writers will commit themselves to their words in everything they do. I wish there were more people like Dana and you Ivy. If there were imagine the power we could have in changing and bettering in the world. Think about it.

Comment provided May 11, 2005 at 3:33 AM

Dina Giolitto writes:

I came back here this morning and saw my post trailing Mr. Winslow’s… so Lance, I read what you had to say. And as I was reading, I was thinking, “Hey: a retired guy with a totally realistic perspective and lots of free time. I wonder if this guy is doing any worthwhile projects because he should be.” So then I drift over to your ‘resume’ and I’m reading along, thinking whoa, this is the type of person that could really light a FIRE under my behind. And then I’m learning of your hatred for beurocracy and thinking fondly of Ayn Rand (and I find out you’re part of an Ayn Rand society–!!). As I look around this website, it seems to me there are quite a few brains here who you might recruit to help carry out your lofty pursuits. Maybe I can be one of them? I surely hope so. Rock on, Howard Roarke – I mean Lance Winslow.

Comment provided May 11, 2005 at 10:13 AM

Dina,

Last night I sat down and ready everyone of your articles on EzineArticles.com, until 4:55 AM, I started noticing the sun come up and whoops, lost track of time. I see you have ten years experience assisting those do’ers in doing it better and doing it right. I learned quite a bit reading all your articles. Not bad at all. You’ve sure come a long way in your 10-years as a copywriter, public relations specialist. I am impressed, and sincerely that is a compliment as not much impresses me these days. Some day I hope to be a better writer. I wrote down a lot of your ideas and made a huge list. As I go thru my old content I will be sure edit with a better understanding of what I am doing. I never thought I would be a writer of all things. But I think it is fair to the World that we share our experiences and observations. I hope you continue to write more articles, because just about everyone at EzineArticles could certainly use your knowledge and those who visit and are not writers need to hire your expertise. Tonight one of my projects is to read your entire website and any articles which are there too.

Comment provided May 11, 2005 at 5:27 PM

Dina Giolitto writes:

I just want to clear something up here on this Blog as I engage discussions with Lance Winslow on email.

I responded to Chris’s question, which was:

“Is there any true downside to having too many articles out in distribution on too many sites? Is there any harm in a few hundred? a few thousand? Is ten thousand too many? At what point do you think it harms an author? Is there ever a point of harm?”

I thought for a while about whether I should answer. In stating my true opinion, I may inadvertently offend someone who wrong many articles.

Then I thought, well, why not just SAY what my reaction is- so that people will KNOW the impression that other people may get from what they do, and then DECIDE whether or not their actions are worth the reactions.

It is TRUE that I WONDER WHERE THE ARTICLES CAME FROM. That is the TRUTH of the reaction that I have to those who rapidly post tons of articles. Maybe other people don’t wonder such things, but I DO. It is worded very carefully to not say “I think that (so and so) falsified his articles” because that would be a direct attack.

I would like to state here and now for anyone who visits this Blog, that I have read SOME of Lance Winslow’s articles and based on that, I believe he’s a genius and an honest human being – and I can see the way that his mind works and therefore, he must have written all of his own articles.

I would also like to point out that in Blog and Forum discussions, as soon as you state a strong opinion about something, someone out there is going to perceive it as a slight against them even though it can’t possibly be, because you don’t even know them.

Now, what do we do about that? Do we not post reactions to Blog and forum questions? Do we craft sentences that make no claims at all? And if so, what is the point of saying anything, ever?

I never mean to offend anyone when I say what I say. I do have strong feelings about many topics, and most of the time, I believe that if I express them, it will get folks thinking and maybe moving toward something positive for themselves or the world.

Lance Winslow, I’m sorry if I offended you. Speaking with you has been quite enlightening.

Comment provided May 15, 2005 at 10:08 AM

Dina,

There is no doubt in my mind that Lance did indeed write every article that he has posted on our site.

Every single author that has gone past 100 articles, we have investigated in some depth what their history is, did exact match searches in the search engines with their articles and researched to ensure that their articles were original. Every author over 100 has had private email discussions with us to verify the source of their articles.

You could say that we’re paranoid and just wanted to make a good business decision to get to know better those who would send in higher volumes than the norm.

I’m hoping the norm will shift in 2005 so that the average author will realize that they need a few hundred articles in distribution rather than a few dozen if they want to see better traffic results.

Comment provided May 15, 2005 at 10:26 AM

Today I now have over 1000 articles and I see that 1000 is not the upper limit and for all those who said it could not be done, “I TOLD YOU SO!” We should never under estimate or set limits. A quote I quite like is: “Those who say it cannot be done, are usually about to be passed by someone who is.” That some today was me as I passed the 1000 mark. Today it could be you. You can prove the critics wrong. Anyone can. “If you think you can’t you are right.” Maybe YOU can’t, but that has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else. June first is rapidly approaching, by then I will have 100,000 article views in 8-weeks. I will have one million article views in under a year. I will have over 1200 articles posted by June 1st. Set goals, get it done. Show some spirit. Weakness is unbecoming of this species. “Can’t” Who even made up such a word? What were they thinking. How about “can and will?” Think about it.

Comment provided May 24, 2005 at 5:37 AM